Grrrr facebook people!

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

A bit annoyed. I took photos during my God Daughter's christening party, and this girl took the photos from my facebook and uploaded them.

I didn't really mind until people commented "Beautiful photo!" on one with the Uncle and the baby, and the girl commented back saying "Thank you!"

Grrrr so annoying! Ah well at least I know the photos I took are 'like' worthy :).

Last edited:
I'd comment something along the lines of "the rest of the photos I took are on xyz if you'd like to see the rest".
Or you could simply report them for breach of copyright and then watermark and re-upload them.

I never know in these situations if the offending person has done it on purpose to take credit for your photo or if it's just because they wanted to share it with others.
Either way it's flattering that they like your photo enough to either steal it or share it!

If someone shares your photo it should link to you... or are you saying she has downloaded them and uploaded them as her own?

That's Fake-book for ya - Jeremy Kyle's waiting room

Les :D:D:D:D

I doubt if it was done with intend to defraud - I guess she's quite a young girl.
Why not have a chat privately on Facebook messenger with her and explain about what happened and why you feel the way you do? That way she would understand.

if youre that annoyed just use the report button on the images and fill out the breach of IP form. facebook are pretty hot on taking stuff down when it breaches IP, they normally do it within 24 hours.

Sounds to me like it's not a case of her taking credit for it, more just thanking people because they liked something on her page. I doubt if it was done with any bad intentions.

I know squat about Facebook and the like, but why would a random person want photos of someone else's christening?

Maybe just bit of a loon, can you not restrict who looks at things?

Last edited:
I highly doubt they are trying to take credit, I dont understand the protectiveness sometimes by photographers. I take pictures because I love taking them, fair enough if Mothercare stole it an had it heading a campaign but someone uploading a pic that includes their children is nothing sinister.

That's Fake-book for ya - Jeremy Kyle's waiting room

Les :D:D:D:D

A very apt description Les (y)

I don't do either Facebook or Twitter.

My offspring do, and from what I've seen of Facebook, I have to say that I've never seen so much pointless drivel, posted by so many people. Its a wonder they don't report each time they go to the toilet. :LOL:

Dave

I'm trying to work out if there is a problem here or not. If someone shows their wedding photos to someone in an album, should they say who took them every time? If a family member has copied them for their Facebook page and doesn't credit the photographer, is this a problem?

I took the photos for my sister-in-law's wedding in the Summer. I think she put some on her Facebook page but they were of her day. I'm not sure if I was credited or not, but didn't care.

I would be more concerned, however, if some random person not connected with the family had uploaded the photos and was passing them off as their own work, maybe in an attempt to get business by passing someone else's work off as their own, and where I could possibly lose out on work.

I have a scary Facebook story...

People started asking me why I hadn't replied to them on Facebook and I'd always answer "I'm not on Facebook." Over the years it kept happening so eventually I went on Facebook and looked at my page... and it was me. Worryingly the passwords I normally use worked so I worked out how to delete myself.

I assume that someone close to me, very close in fact, set it up and it can I suppose only have been my then GF or my nephew as both had access to my pc and knew my passwords. Both denied it.

Same thing happened to me, but it was my wife who did it!!!

Agree with goody13 though, nothing sinister and no offence was probably meant.

People started asking me why I hadn't replied to them on Facebook and I'd always answer "I'm not on Facebook." Over the years it kept happening so eventually I went on Facebook and looked at my page... and it was me. Worryingly the passwords I normally use worked so I worked out how to delete myself.

I assume that someone close to me, very close in fact, set it up and it can I suppose only have been my then GF or my nephew as both had access to my pc and knew my passwords. Both denied it.

Or you got drunk on night :LOL: :beer: :D

That... is just weird!

A lot of things about FB annoy me, but it IS good for sharing photos and self promotion!

from what I've seen of Facebook, I have to say that I've never seen so much pointless drivel, posted by so many people.

The same could be said of most telephone conversations but that's not a reason to never use a telephone.

Facebook is as good or bad as you want it to be.

Once you have blocked all the stupid stuff like game requests, etc. I find it quite useful.

Steve.

A very apt description Les (y)

I don't do either Facebook or Twitter.

My offspring do, and from what I've seen of Facebook, I have to say that I've never seen so much pointless drivel, posted by so many people. Its a wonder they don't report each time they go to the toilet. :LOL:

Dave
Facebook and twitter are exactly what you make of them. They can be wholesome, enriching, experiences; or they can be full of nonsense and inanity. It all depends on who you chose to follow. If you think Facebook and Twitter are necessarily full of rubbish, all that tells me is that you have no idea how to use Facebook or Twitter.

If you think Facebook and Twitter are necessarily full of rubbish, all that tells me is that you have no idea how to use Facebook or Twitter.

I don't need to know, as my choice is not to use them, but each to his own.

I've seen the pointless drivel that my daughter (not a kid, but married with a family) and her huge circle of Facebook friends post, and that's enough for me.

If you find it a wholesome, and enriching experience, then who am I to question your chosen means of enjoyment.

Freedom of choice ghoti, and long may it be that way. :)

Dave

Facebook and twitter are exactly what you make of them. They can be wholesome, enriching, experiences; or they can be full of nonsense and inanity. It all depends on who you chose to follow. If you think Facebook and Twitter are necessarily full of rubbish, all that tells me is that you have no idea how to use Facebook or Twitter.

Hitler & Gobel would have loved facebook & twitter :D

Funnily enough, I was very anti-Facebook, then my GF set me up with an account after getting badgered by a couple of my mates about why I wasn't on there. I don't really use it for general stuff, although I will post a few photos if they are worthy. What I do find good though is the closed interest groups. I used to do a lot of railway photography in the '80s and '90s and I post a lot of those shots on those groups where there are like-minded people. From that, I've been asked for photos that have been published in books and magazines, so it works for me, but you just have to ignore the drivel and stick with what interests you.

If you find someone posts a load of drivel and you have no interest, just block them.

Hi,

A bit annoyed. I took photos during my God Daughter's christening party, and this girl took the photos from my facebook and uploaded them.

I didn't really mind until people commented "Beautiful photo!" on one with the Uncle and the baby, and the girl commented back saying "Thank you!"

Grrrr so annoying! Ah well at least I know the photos I took are 'like' worthy :).

....So are you saying that she downloaded your pics and then subsequently uploaded them on her own page?

Or did she simply Share them on her page, which is totally allowed and indeed encouraged by many.

Facebook is, indeed, what you make of it. I'm hardy prolific on it but it does have its positives. I would agree though that there are too many who seem to live their lives through Facebook to the detriment of everything else!!

The rule of thumb that I use (somewhat wryly..) is that in the days before Facebook (and indeed digital photography) i never had the urge to take a photo of my dinner and hand out a copy of the picture to all of my friends...

Its not just facebook despite being watermarked I get shots nicked off our football club website by other clubs for their websites and programmes, when I ask for payment they get stroppy

The rule of thumb that I use (somewhat wryly..) is that in the days before Facebook (and indeed digital photography) i never had the urge to take a photo of my dinner and hand out a copy of the picture to all of my friends...

Yep, from what I've seen, that sums up the Facebook masses very nicely :LOL:

Dave

Yep, from what I've seen, that sums up the Facebook masses very nicely :LOL:

Dave
There's no such thing as 'the facebook masses'

My 'friends' on FB include former customers, future customers relatives from 16-65, the unemployed, students, professionals in many walks of life as well as ordinary working folk. The things I have in common with them (obviously I don't share all of these with all my 'friends'):
Photography
Politics
Education
Family
other hobbies

The chat ranges from the banal to the illuminating. It#'s easy to ignore or block anything you don't want to see.

As someone else said earlier, you just need to spend a little time learning how to use it. It's put me in touch with mates from school I haven't spoken to in 20 odd years, but a couple of posts round a music video and the distance and time just disappears.

There do seem to be a lot of people who are very proud of the fact that they don't use Facebook or Twitter. Sometimes to the point where they actually boast about it.
These are very odd individuals.
Facebook is just a platform for communication. What you communicate and who you communicate with on Facebook and Twitter is entirely up to you.

There do seem to be a lot of people who are very proud of the fact that they don't use Facebook or Twitter. Sometimes to the point where they actually boast about it.
These are very odd individuals.
Facebook is just a platform for communication. What you communicate and who you communicate with on Facebook and Twitter is entirely up to you.
i don,t use flickr or Facebook boast!!:banana:

It's put me in touch with mates from school I haven't spoken to in 20 odd years

Me too. Actually, thirty years in some cases.

I send and receive more messages via Facebook than e-mail now. It's great for sharing pictures and videos and good for the odd bit of light hearted banter.

It's not all cat videos and what you had for lunch.

The main thing I had to block were the game requests. No, I don't want to amagine I'm helping you build an imaginary barn on your imaginary farm to keep your imaginary cows in!

These things are easy to block though.

Steve.

And put across an air of superiority with it.

Steve.

sadly thats the face book way if you upload a photo or 2 its fair game or so most think last year i had taken some photos at the glasgow monte carlo and put them up on the monte face book page and 1 of the guys that was in 1 of the photos a moderator of the mini forum had it as his main photo on face book and the mini forum it was a poor photo but at least he could have said who had taken it lol

i used to be on face book as are most of my family at least 6 of them have photos i took as there avatars i'm not a pro and don't sell my pics so putting them up never bothered me. and as i said i don't use it any more not sure what happened to the pics (they were using) when i deleted my account.

Why on earth would I need to boast about not being a FB or Twitter user, or adopt an air of superiority for not being so, dear oh dear. Its just a 'social networking' site for goodness sake.

I can only go on what I've seen, which certainly isn't anything that would encourage me to participate. Then of course from what I read and see in the media, it also has its sinister side that harbours cyber bullies and perverts. To quote 'ghoti', I would say that "These are very odd individuals" that are actually using Facebook.

Phil, I could be wrong of course, but I suspect that you, your friends and associates, along with the members of this forum, using Facebook in the manner that you do, are in the minority among the countless thousands that use Facebook worldwide. But then if you operate within a 'closed group', you won't perhaps won't see the 'bigger picture'.

As I said, my opinion, is based only on what I have seen, read, and derived from general discussion with other people, so perhaps I'm not seeing the bigger picture, and what I refer to relates to the minority of users, although I remain to be convinced.

As I said "freedom of choice", if you enjoy it then fair enough.

Dave

Last edited:
Back