Guest taking wedding photos where there is no pro

Edit My Images
Yes
I am a guest at a wedding where they haven't booked a photographer. It is quite a low key wedding and I guess they just thought that their budget didn't stretch to it.

I think they are hoping that guests will provide some photos. I am planning to try and get some decent shots for them.

I was planning on being discrete and getting candid shots rather than posed.

Kit I have: Canon 5diii, 16-35 f4 is, 50mm 1.2 L, 85mm 1.8, 135mm f2L, 3x 580 ex II flashes.

I was planning to take all the lenses and probably not bother with flash. I love the 50mm wide open but am conscious that this only works using the centre point so not sure how much use that will be at a wedding. I guess I will have to stop down a bit.

I am not taking a 2nd body so I guess I need to plan lens changes in advance.

I don't normally use continuous drive mode but I guess this would be best for wedding shooting to maximise the chances of a good shot.

Ideas tips and advice would be gratefully received.

Personally, I would go as a guest and experience the day with them - as that is what they've invited you to do.

If you really want to shoot, then I'd ask them if they want you shooting for a start.

Kit wise; you could find a use for all that gear at a wedding. You could also shoot the whole thing on a 50mm (don't know what you mean about your 50mm only working with the centre AF point either). Depends what you like doing. And, to return to the point above, what they want you doing. We explicitly told/asked guests to put their cameras and phones away at our wedding.

Last edited:
I would definitely ask the couple what their expectations are and if I were taking a bunch of lenses, I think I'd put a flash in my pocket/bag too just in case.

Why? He's a guest taking his camera along. Theres no expectation on him

The OP mentioned "I think they are hoping that guests will provide some photos".

I think I'd ask what they actually wanted/were expecting. But then that's just me...

At some point, if you are hoping to provide them with images, then you will have to act to be noticed. You will need eye contact, so will need to be vocal to attract attention.
Is it in a church, registry office? Some are very keen to not allow guests to take photos but will allow the photographer.

Shots of the setting before hand then the wide lens may be useful as it will for large group shots. For just the couple then this will distort so your 85mm may be better, depends on how close you need to be. The 35 end may be ok. If in a church then the 135 for shooting down the isle, but primes can be a pain for moving targets :)

I wouldn't continuous shoot. Really, machine gunning at a wedding? Just compose, shoot a couple, it'll be fine. Use the silent shutter.
You will need to use flash as fill light especially outside or with the subjects backlit, such as bride or couple in church doorway. I wouldn't use flash in church or the registry office, thats usually very offputting and not allowed.

If it were me, and depending on what they want/expect, I'd pose the happy couple afterwards, take a couple of shots. Perhaps a group shot of all. This gets them some formal images and lets everyone with a camera have a go. I guess it's how well you know them. Worse case scenario is you look like uncle bob and become 'that bloke with a camera and all that kits trying to act like a professional...'

After that, if any candids pop up with the 135mm lens... but they would be my preferred shots anyway.

Personally, I would go as a guest and experience the day with them - as that is what they've invited you to do.

If you really want to shoot, then I'd ask them if they want you shooting for a start.

Kit wise; you could find a use for all that gear at a wedding. You could also shoot the whole thing on a 50mm (don't know what you mean about your 50mm only working with the centre AF point either). Depends what you like doing. And, to return to the point above, what they want you doing. We explicitly told/asked guests to put their cameras and phones away at our wedding.

Good advice, although the 85mm is a better portrait distance on the 5d mk3, but the 50mm would be an interesting challenge

Hard to enjoy yourself as a guest when lumping a load of kit around.. and if your the only person lumping proper kit about then the other guests will think you are the official photogrpaher and will be grabbing you for pics... the B&G expectations would be phones and bridge cameras and hope for the best.. However if your loOking forward to the challenge then the 16-35 and the 85 along with such a good camera would get everyhting you need IMHO

The 50mm 1.2 is known to need the centre point at 1.2 because of field curvature or something.

At some point, if you are hoping to provide them with images, then you will have to act to be noticed. You will need eye contact, so will need to be vocal to attract attention.
Is it in a church, registry office? Some are very keen to not allow guests to take photos but will allow the photographer.

Shots of the setting before hand then the wide lens may be useful as it will for large group shots. For just the couple then this will distort so your 85mm may be better, depends on how close you need to be. The 35 end may be ok. If in a church then the 135 for shooting down the isle, but primes can be a pain for moving targets :)

I wouldn't continuous shoot. Really, machine gunning at a wedding? Just compose, shoot a couple, it'll be fine. Use the silent shutter.
You will need to use flash as fill light especially outside or with the subjects backlit, such as bride or couple in church doorway. I wouldn't use flash in church or the registry office, thats usually very offputting and not allowed.

If it were me, and depending on what they want/expect, I'd pose the happy couple afterwards, take a couple of shots. Perhaps a group shot of all. This gets them some formal images and lets everyone with a camera have a go. I guess it's how well you know them. Worse case scenario is you look like uncle bob and become 'that bloke with a camera and all that kits trying to act like a professional...'

After that, if any candids pop up with the 135mm lens... but they would be my preferred shots anyway.

Yes. I will use silent shutter in the church. Burst mode I was thinking of using for confetti shots.

Hard to enjoy yourself as a guest when lumping a load of kit around.. and if your the only person lumping proper kit about then the other guests will think you are the official photogrpaher and will be grabbing you for pics... the B&G expectations would be phones and bridge cameras and hope for the best.. However if your loOking forward to the challenge then the 16-35 and the 85 along with such a good camera would get everyhting you need IMHO

That's spot on IMO. In fact, if you're carting a full bag of tricks around it won't only be the guests who assume you're the official snapper: the celebrant probably will as well, in which case one of two things will happen. Either they'll lay down the law and tell you no photos during the ceremony, or they'll assume you know the score and will invite you to shoot from the front. Up to you how you play it if they do, but don't forget how close you might find yourself to your subjects!

One other tip. Unless you're invited to shoot the ceremony from the front, your best bet will usually be to reserve yourself a seat against the aisle, a few rows back from the front, and ideally on the right as you go in. GIven a fair amount of luck, that will give you shots of both the procession and the ceremony, and then scoot down the aisle at the last minute and get them recessing towards you.

And another tip. Expect the unexpected, especially at a small wedding ...

Yes. I will use silent shutter in the church. Burst mode I was thinking of using for confetti shots.

No reason at all not to use burst mode for the confetti shots. That's what we usually did, and it paid off no end of times :) In fact, it's also a sensible option for the recession if they come down the aisle at a fair rate of knots (as is often the case) and you're not sure how to handle it.

Last edited:
... Really, machine gunning at a wedding? ...

Using burst/continuous mode and machine-gunning are two distinct techniques. The first implies a sensible, considered use for a specific purpose of an option built into the camera. The second implies lack of intelligence and skill.

We were never into spray and pray, but we often used short bursts of continuous when it was advantageous to do so.

The second implies lack of intelligence and skill.

i was at a boxing match a couple of weeks ago.. I thought the guy further down the ring was making a video.... it was getting annoying to listen to it was that constant :)

For sport I can understand, for a wedding I can't think of any occasion that needs continuous except perhaps the bride throwing the bouquet?

For sport I can understand, for a wedding I can't think of any occasion that needs continuous except perhaps the bride throwing the bouquet?

Nagh for sport its the same as dan says.. short 2-3 frame bursts .... maybe more if a good goal celebration but 90% of time short burst.. thats what its for :)

Never once used it for a bouquet throw, simply because the event is nearly always predictable. If we used continuous, it would be in very short bursts, nearly always at the slower of the two speeds available on the 1DMkIII, and always simply to improve the odds on us getting the optimum shot of an event which was both rapidly-changing and unpredictable e.g. fireworks, an impromtu confetti-chucking or some of the lunacy at a lively Jewish reception. It was also handy for some of the more off-the-wall things we were noted for, like short sequences of rapidly-evolving spontaneous events during prep, snapping the couple in their car 'twixt ceremony and reception whilst overtaking it at speed and so forth ... ;)

Last edited:
Confetti throwing is too many random objects. I can't count the number of 'perfect' confetti shots I've binned due to one piece of confetti covering an eye or mouth. Now I shoot it in several short bursts.
And like Dan said, some couples almost sprint back down the aisle, and then there's the 'first kiss' that lasts less than a second (and the best moment to deliver is not usually where there's full contact).

Last edited:
I would agree with Sid that burst mode if used correctly definitely has its place in the confetti and Aisle walk scenarios and I have used it with great success from a side angle in the bouqet throw before to make a series of images for the album.

Personally with the kit you have which is indeed very similar to how i shoot i would use the 16-35 mainly at the 35 end but with the advantage of width in the small space if needed, I use a seconnd body holstered to my hip with the 85mm on which is also great for the whole thing close ups and portrait shots. I would definintely put the flash on the main camera though it could turn out your shooting directly into windows with blistering sunshine or anything which can throw a curve ball and some iso issues without.

just the 50mm would be ideal unless you are being paid to shoot - also much more discreet so people dont think you are the hired tog - nothing worse than having people pestering you to be photographed!

Have you seen the size of the 50mm 1.2? o_O
It's not really discrete.

And it's heavy.

There is no way either of us would ever try to photograph a wedding with just the 50/1.2L, even if we were there as a guest. And I speak as half of a team who for several years had one each with us at every wedding we shot.

I'd take the 85mm & the 16-35 with one flash, but go with the intention of just going with the flow and not tying to get the key shots, or worrying about what shots to get, otherwise you will spend so much time trying to get shots rather than enjoying your friends special day.

I looked at your post and if it's discrete shots you want then look at the 135. If you want to give them more then you are putting your self up as the "official photographer" and maybe that's not what you want to do. If it was me then would take the 135 and the 16-35 that way you could take some candids and maybe a couple of groups. Good luck

I looked at your post and if it's discrete shots you want then look at the 135 ... If it was me then would take the 135 and the 16-35 that way you could take some candids and maybe a couple of groups. Good luck

I'm with you on the 16-35 but I'd leave the 135 at home. If you're ever a guest at a wedding at which somebody's mooching about with a long lens on an SLR taking pot shots thinking he's being discreet, check out how many pairs of eyes are on him. Few things are guaranteed to make many wedding guests feel uncomfortable, but a sniping snapper is one of them.

I can see what you are saying but as soon as you produce a DSLR people look anyway.

Thanks for all the discussion. It has given me food for thought. I'm still not sure how I am going to play it. Or how it will turn out!

Difficult in a way as it sounds like you're a type of person who's caring enough to think they need some decent shots but if deep down they really wanted them they'd have put money aside or at least asked for a main person to do it even if it was just a handful of shots whatever their budget is for their day I bet they'll have a pricey cake that will be almost eaten on the day! If you see the Groom socially then perhaps you could have a few words but at the same time you don't want to put yourself in a position of having expectations lumped on you after all you are a guest at the end of the day. Well worth having a recce of the venue if it's something you really want to pursue. Take lots of kit you could lock some of it in the boot of your car or room after all.

I must say that if you have never done a wedding then dont put your self up to do it do what you said in your op and enjoy the day

I must say that if you have never done a wedding then dont put your self up to do it do what you said in your op and enjoy the day

Yes. Never do a wedding if you have never done one before!! (sarcasm).

Steve

Never an issue when I used one. I know some have focus shift issues, but that has nothing to with AF points.

Seriously, have you asked them how they would like you to play it?

No I don't want them to have any expectation that I will deliver something. I am just going to take some kit and try to get some good shots for them. I am not going to act like an official photographer. I know they are hoping for photos from guests. I will ensure I don't act in a way that annoys anyone.

Just wondering ... why do you say that?
Why didn't you quote the entire sentence? Weather might change and anything could so if you limit what you take you're stuffed if you you have no contingency or back up.

It'll make you stand out from those other amateurs, show them you know what you're doing :D
10191d1422795613-photography-gear-minimalistic-traveller-help-very-much-needed-20130531-01-travelphotography-jpg

Why didn't you quote the entire sentence? Weather might change and anything could so if you limit what you take you're stuffed if you you have no contingency or back up.

I didn't quote the entire sentence because my query related only to your suggestion that the OP take "lots of kit". But whatever ... IMO the more kit the OP takes to a wedding, the more time he will spend farting about with it, as a consequence of which he is likely to (a) miss half the pictures he could have taken and (b) not enjoy being a guest at the wedding.

Back