Guest taking wedding photos where there is no pro

Take one lens, enjoy yourself. There is no expectation on you or anyone else to produce anything magical for them.

We didn't have a photographer at our wedding, we were there to get married not to have a whole day costume photoshoot!

I have been asked twice to take photos at weddings, once was on the night before the ceremony, by the groom my wife's cousin.
I hadn't taken my Canon 400D with me so I used my wife's canon powershot A490.
I told him we should have spoken more before the event as regards the type of shots and who he wanted included in group shots.
The wedding was in a hotel and the registrar said there could be 2 people in front of the B&G for photos.
At one time I was also videoing the service while clicking away left handed with the camera, who said men can't multitask.
Both the B&G were pleased with the results, it depends on what they expect, there were also digital cameras on all the tables for guests to take 'candid' shots of everyone and to provide a bit of 'FUN'.
It was a laid back atmosphere and everyone enjoyed themselves, me included.

Go with the intention of enjoying yourself.

John

I took a film camera to a friends wedding and took 36 shots from start to finish. It was a registry office wedding so no frills. I nipped the film into Tesco and got a 1 hour turnaround.

I bought a photo album and put the results into it. The best shot of the happy couple was made into a 10x8 and framed up.
I presented framed print and the album to them at the evening reception as a wedding present and they where delighted.

They knew I had taken shots during the ceremony but did not expect such a fast turnaround.

Last edited:
are you loosing sight of the fact he's a guest by any chance?
No far from it, I suggested he took lots of kit that he could put in his car or room if circumstances changed on the day. It's clear to me the OP wants to get some decent shots as a guest if he limits himself to taking one lens or camera this might not happen.

Yes and I've done quite a few myself with just an 80f2.8 planar and 4 rolls of film.

Lots have been taken with more than one too especially by those that aren't experienced...

No far from it, I suggested he took lots of kit that he could put in his car or room if circumstances changed on the day. It's clear to me the OP wants to get some decent shots as a guest if he limits himself to taking one lens or camera this might not happen.
Lots of weddings have been successfully photographed with one lens.

Steve.

Lots of guests have enjoyed weddings without turning it into a full blown shot either. And still managed to take some excellent photos

I had a very similar situation last year, left everything else at home and just took the Sony RX1. The couple put me nearest to the top table to make life easier.

The best bits about the RX1...

a) Completely silent
b) Small enough that everyone thinks it's a regular P&S, therefore takes no notice of it
c) Full frame, so lovely shallow DoF when needed, great high ISO and lots of cropping ability
d) I could enjoy the wedding, in fact the camera is so small it went in my wife's handbag when not in use

The couple generally had no idea when I was taking photos or of what, so they had a nice surprise when I sent them a disc full a week later with genuinely 'discreet' coverage of nearly the whole day.

I would never take a DSLR to a wedding unless specifically asked for all of the reasons others have mentioned, Fuji X or other small mirrorless maybe, but nothing else. I shoot with less kit than you've mentioned when shooting a wedding professionally! 35 and 85 across two bodies will see me through a whole day, a small handful are taken with a 70-200 but they could easily be covered by the 85 if needs be.

Last edited:
To be honest this sounds like you are going to go and shoot the wedding for them as a photographer as they haven't paid for one.

Don't take anything, you are going to enjoy it not to 'work'

If I were going to a wedding, and wanted some decent photographs, but wasn't getting paid for it, I'd take my 6D with the 40mm pancake on it. Maybe a flash.

Definitely nothing massive. The 135L the OP talks about is huge and its lens hood is hugererer.

if it were me I would take the just the 16 - 35 and the 50mm. Enjoy the day as a guest and have the 16-35 on the body most of the time taking pics of people enjoying themselves as and when the opportunity arises.
At some point, near sunset, ask the bride and groom if they would like a couple of shots of just them. Take them off somewhere nice, put the 50mm on the body, get them to walk towards you hand in hand and fire of a few frames at a shallow DOF (or something similar) allowing plenty of space around them for the setting / background.

Or get them to stand, chill out and let them interact with each other and relax. Get a few shots of them laughing together in relaxed way. That way you are not faffing trying to pose them and they will remember the 'moment' rather than a trying hard to pose etc

Nothing too fancy, just a nice shot of them, and then go back to being a guest.

I have tried being a guest AND the photographer and I wouldn't do it again.

I have also been a guest and taken a couple of lenses and stayed out of the pro togs way.

As they aren't having a pro, anything they get that's better than an iphone / point and shoot (in the hands of a non tog) they will be happy with.

Keep it simple.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. This happened yesterday and I mainly used a 50mm. It was a fun day and I just got the camera out when a scene presented itself. I think I got some shots that they will like. I didn't do anything like full coverage and the results would have been much higher quality from someone more experienced. Nevertheless I am glad to be able to provide some adequate shots that will serve as a record of the day.

Last edited:
I once went to a wedding where the groom was also the photographer. Not sure how that worked!

Steve.

selfie sticks have a lot to answer for :)

It'll make you stand out from those other amateurs, show them you know what you're doing :D
10191d1422795613-photography-gear-minimalistic-traveller-help-very-much-needed-20130531-01-travelphotography-jpg

Thats a bit keen by any standards....

Back