Had my first run in with the police today

I have just read the starting few pages in this thread, and I have to say that total respect goes to the OP for keeping calm. As said, no laws were broken in taking photos and you were perfectly within your right to do so.

Who ever honestly thinks that the police were in the right needs to check the law for themselves.

Ok leave1, we'll have to agree to differ on this. It really does sound like you are a major player in the evidence side of things.

'late juncture of the thread' - I didn't start reading it till I got in at 7am this morning.

Anyway, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Kind regards
Lisa

A "major player"? Why are you still insisting that I think I'm important?

Honestly, I don't know why you're taking this so personal. I don't think I'm important or special. I just offered my pictures if they were needed.

I didn't realise that was the wrong thing to do. :shrug:

OMG! I can't do wrong for right here.

Goodbye. Chill.

Lisa

OMG! I can't do wrong for right here.

Goodbye. Chill.

Lisa

To be fair, you do keep insisting leave1 thinks he's something he's not when it's patently clear he's just a guy with a camera and that's all he's made himself out to be.

It seems like some people in this thread are treating it as if I was diving over the barriers telling firefighters to "put that steel cutter down and hold this bloody reflector!....Now POSE!"

lol i totally agree with you mate, thats how it does seem like u were right up close and in the way.

i dont think, which ever side off the wall people are sitting on there gonna change there mind over a internet discussion (a good un' for along time ive read BTW).

so maybe this will just go on for ever but IMO leave1 didnt do anything wrong and maybe the police should be doing about the guy who took a swing at him. wonder if he wouldve done it if leave1 was wearing a hi-vis vest with press on it:shrug:

A "major player"? Why are you still insisting that I think I'm important?

Honestly, I don't know why you're taking this so personal. I don't think I'm important or special. I just offered my pictures if they were needed.

I didn't realise that was the wrong thing to do. :shrug:

cant speak for crazy horse but maybe she feels so strongly about it has she works in the sector and see it from the otherside off the fence "so to speak"

cant speak for crazy horse but maybe she feels so strongly about it has she works in the sector and see it from the otherside off the fence "so to speak"

Hi

Thanks for the reply, yes I do actually, the Fire Service.

Lisa

To be fair, you do keep insisting leave1 thinks he's something he's not when it's patently clear he's just a guy with a camera and that's all he's made himself out to be.

Ok, sorry if that's how it came across, not my intention but you'd be amazed at what SOME people, not leave1 obviously do, not only at rtc's but at other incidents. SOME PEOPLE, not leave1 are a hindrance.

Lisa

Ok, sorry if that's how it came across, not my intention but you'd be amazed at what SOME people, not leave1 obviously do, not only at rtc's but at other incidents. SOME PEOPLE, not leave1 are a hindrance.

Lisa

cant stop taking the p**s can you Lisa?

Yes I can actually. Read into it what you will, no mickey taking in my post above, just making it 100% CLEAR AS POSSIBLE that I was not referring to leave1.

Sorry if you have a problem with that.

Lisa

Some of you muppets don't half make me laugh:LOL::LOL::LOL: Banging on about photographers rights like they're THE most important thing in the world. Get a grip.

and if any of you ambulance chasers think your random photos from 20m away are going to help in an investigation then I suggest you tear yourselves away from C.S.I. and spend some time with some real people. Honestly.

I've got plenty of rights, plenty of which I choose not to exercise. I've not read one thing in this thread that has made me think that photographing accidents you aren't involved in from a personal or professional point is a justifiable thing to do. Seriously, what are you going to do with them, frame them and hang them on the wall? Give them to the gutter press in the hope that you get a credit to boast about?

Or more likely they'll take up space on your hard drive, never to see the light of day again and in the process you've distracted the emergency services (rightly or wrongly) from their jobs and caused upset to by-standers. Good on you for exercising your rights, big pat on the back(y)

Lisa

cant stop taking the p**s can you Lisa?

Stop. Now. Both :)

Some of you muppets don't half make me laugh:LOL::LOL::LOL: Banging on about photographers rights like they're THE most important thing in the world. Get a grip.

They may not be THE most improtant thing, but without photographer rights, we end up with a total ban on photography.

and if any of you ambulance chasers think your random photos from 20m away are going to help in an investigation then I suggest you tear yourselves away from C.S.I. and spend some time with some real people. Honestly.

As it has been pointed out a few times in this thread, the Police asked for photographs following the bombings in london / manchester, and even mentioned to the OP that his pictures 'may' be required for any subsequent investigation.

I've got plenty of rights, plenty of which I choose not to exercise. I've not read one thing in this thread that has made me think that photographing accidents you aren't involved in from a personal or professional point is a justifiable thing to do. Seriously, what are you going to do with them, frame them and hang them on the wall? Give them to the gutter press in the hope that you get a credit to boast about?

Or more likely they'll take up space on your hard drive, never to see the light of day again and in the process you've distracted the emergency services (rightly or wrongly) from their jobs and caused upset to by-standers. Good on you for exercising your rights, big pat on the back(y)

Thats the beauty of 'freedom of choice' as it is up to the OP what he chooses to do with them, not you. And as the OP pointed out he was some distance away so was in no way hindering the emergency services, in fact he was behind the general crowd (the same crowd that were upset by his actions, but still stood and watched the scene trying to get a good look at what was going on!)

Yes I can actually. Read into it what you will, no mickey taking in my post above, just making it 100% CLEAR AS POSSIBLE that I was not referring to leave1.

Sorry if you have a problem with that.

Lisa

Don't play wordgames, you'll lose :)

But he was distracting the emergency services by having how many ill-informed coppers coming over to him?

National terrorist attacks are somewhat different to someone pranging their car in my opinion, completely different scale.

And how you come to the conclusion that there would be a total ban on photography without the right to take photos of car crashes is completely beyond me.

Don't play wordgames, you'll lose :)

Sorry, you must be correct, you've totally lost me on that one.:help:

Lisa

But he was distracting the emergency services by having how many ill-informed coppers coming over to him?

But that was down to the ignorance of the officers involved, not the OP

And how you come to the conclusion that there would be a total ban on photography without the right to take photos of car crashes is completely beyond me.

Well once you let people start deciding when a photographer can and cannot take photo's its a slippery slope to a compete ban of photography in public places in my opinion, and not something that anyone would like to see.

I've got plenty of rights, plenty of which I choose not to exercise.

Thats the point though isn't it - The OP has exercised his right to take a photo in a public place and no matter what your or my thoughts are on that its his / her right. Why is someone a muppet for having a different opinion to you, what makes you right ? if someone votes for a different political party to you are they also muppets ?

And sadly that was my point.

I know, but I'm only leaving it open just now because I haven't banned anyone for ages, I'm just an optimist at heart ;)

I'll state this as clear as I can, for the last time.

If you can't put your point across politely. **** off.

I never said anyone was a muppet for having a different opinion, more the nonsense they spout to justify their arguments. I mean please, comparing ambulance chasers to war reporters. Honestly, next you'll be comparing me to ansel adams:LOL:

Actually, the emergency services who I "distracted" were the ones on the perimeter guarding the barrier. So I distracted them from doing their job, and in the process they were actually still doing their job. You say it like the helicoptor pilot had to cancel the airlift so he could get out and tell me to put the camera down. I'm all for a disection of my ethical code, but let's at least stick with the facts rather than blow it out of proportion. I'm not an abulance chaser, and this discussion can easily take place without sensationalizing my presence at the accident scene.

And yes, they will take up space on my hard drive, just like the rest of the pictures I've taken in the course of learning this art form. I fail to see how that is a bad thing. Does every photo you take win the Pulitzer Prize?

I wasn't taking pictures in some arrogant effort to enforce my right to take pictures. I wasn't there to cause problems.

I never said anyone was a muppet for having a different opinion, more the nonsense they spout to justify their arguments. I mean please, comparing ambulance chasers to war reporters. Honestly, next you'll be comparing me to ansel adams:LOL:

I don't disagree, but I'd love to hear you justify one and not the other.

ambulance chasers

I love how the OP has done this once and yet this isnt the first time the point of "ambulance chasers" has come up! :LOL:

Makes me wonder how much of this thread those people have read ;)

Why should anyone have to justify their (legal) actions to you or anyone else ?

I love how the OP has done this once and yet this isnt the first time the point of "ambulance chasers" has come up! :LOL:

I think it's a slippery slope. Only a matter of time before I'm out on the roads at night setting intricate traps to cause accidents and conveniently arrive first on the scene with my gore-cam.

I've got my doctors uniform on order for when I want to trick my way into the hospital to get some close ups.

Honestly ladies, you can pick apart my sentences one by one if you like but I honestly don't have the time to respond to each one.

My posts weren't directly aimed at the OP, in case you hadn't noticed this thread crept away from what Leave1 did and more towards the rights and wrongs of photographing car crashes in general a few pages back.

Just like we all have the right to take photos or car crashes we all have a right to talk about it, me included.

To anyone upset about being referred to as a muppet for comparing photographing car crashes to war photography, I apologise, I didn't realise you were so sensetive. Muppet is one of the nicer things I've been called in my time, much like plonker, nothing to get too upset about:D

I reckon this one has pretty much run its course and the christmas dinner isn't going to buy itself.

Adios.

My posts weren't directly aimed at the OP, in case you hadn't noticed this thread crept away from what Leave1 did and more towards the rights and wrongs of photographing car crashes in general a few pages back.

Sorry Kev, my bad, thought it was aimed at the OP :)

dali.jpg

I was looking for a bucket of water to throw - but all I found was:

“Dali Atomicus” by Philippe Halsman.

This photograph was shot live. It took 26 attempts, & over five hours to get it to look like this. Halsman would count, & on ‘four’, Salvador Dali would leap in the air, three assistants would throw cats, one other assistant would chuck the bucket of water, & Halsman’s wife would hold the chair as Halsman took the picture.

It's all about the photography folks :D

Back