South-West England Ham wall nature reserve

@Lez325 can probably give you up-to-date information as he is a local regular visitor.
Currently I think there are works going on there that has caused issues with access via the regular car park and walkway but there is some information on the RSPB site,
Herons, Egrets, Bitterns, Kingfishers and other water-birds are to be found and I think there is a new two-tier hide but last I heard that was temporarily out of action as well ... otherwise just a couple of hides in the same basic area but with walking access around all of the lakes.
In the past when I've been I've sometimes been disappointed with the limited bird life and the cold wind and there has been some very overgrown reeds but again I think this has been addressed.

The bridge is out of action at the moment so a detour is in place, very muddy.

The new Avalon hide is back open, but again wear wellies.

Check out RSPB Ham WAll for the latest.

Also check out the entire group of reserves on the levels.

Somerset reserves

Also checkout Greylake just down the road, very nice but small place.

Last edited:
Ham Wall side is still passable but very muddy- the Shapwick end is clear though- use the small car park and follow the path along the canal, when you reach the bridge, turn left for a hide where Kingfishers like to be around and its on stilts so commands a nice view, get there early is my advice

Greylake has 2 hides and a willow screen, all accessible but a long lens is required to get any half decent shots as the water is a fair way out from the hides, nice to walk around the reed beds too but stealth is a definite must, once again an early start is required

drop me a PM if you fancy a meet and a guide ;)

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Ham Wall side is still passable but very muddy- the Shapwick end is clear though- use the small car park and follow the path along the canal, when you reach the bridge, turn left for a hide where Kingfishers like to be around and its on stilts so commands a nice view, get there early is my advice

Greylake has 2 hides and a willow screen, all accessible but a long lens is required to get any half decent shots as the water is a fair way out from the hides, nice to walk around the reed beds too but stealth is a definite must, once again an early start is required

drop me a PM if you fancy a meet and a guide ;)

Les
Cheers les will keep that offer in mind m8 would like it to be early as can get a dawn shot of Glastonbury tor .

Hi les I'm off on the 22nd of this month also the 29th so if your available (also anyone else care to come along) .

If there's a meet I could be available ... @Lez325 hopefully the main path will be back in use by then?

I'll check my work schedule later and let you all know

Checked. I can do early on 22nd. And later ie after 8.30am on 29th. So the 22nd is best for me.
Do you have an idea of a meeting time?

Les

22nd should be okay with me ... @Lez325 do you know if the main car park and track will be back in use?

If it's early enough maybe I could make it for a few hours before I head to West Wales.

Looks like the 22nd then, I'll be in the main Car park around 7am -, pm me if you want my mobile number guys

Silver Jaguar, reg number LM02 LEZ

See you all there

Les

I'll have to check work commitments and weather closer to the time but if it's all looking good I'll hope to be there (early - for that great shot of Glastonbury Tor at sunrise and the mist drifting over the water..........!)

well the long range forcast look good and I will definitely be in the car park around 7am

Les

Just had an email response from RSPB Ham Walls which says, in part, "the bridge will be closed for at least another week whilst work continues sand blasting and painting.".

This means that normal access is not possible and access can only be gained by entering the site from around the back somewhere and trekking up some muddy tracks ... I'm probably going to give it a miss this time. :(

Yeah I tried going there on Sunday and ended up going to Shapwhick Heath instead. I'm happy to still meet up and go into Shapwhick Heath? as its just across the road from the new large car park.

If you guys decide to do Westhay I'll probably just go Shapwhick or give it a miss. As I've experienced car damage and smash & grabs at Westhay one to many times to bother going there again.

Last edited:
Was there yesterday and as above the bridge is still shut.
The track around is the other side of the canal, from the road to the bridge used for the avalon hide.
It's muddy but not that bad in good boots or wellies, but it is slippery in places.
If we have no more rain it should improve a bit.

Looks like Shapwick Heath then, I'm up for that, so long as I don't turn up to no other person being there :(

can we get a firm yes or no please guy's?????

Les

Just had an email response from RSPB Ham Walls which says, in part, "the bridge will be closed for at least another week whilst work continues sand blasting and painting.".

This means that normal access is not possible and access can only be gained by entering the site from around the back somewhere and trekking up some muddy tracks ... I'm probably going to give it a miss this time. :(

you don't fancy Shapwick then Roger?

you don't fancy Shapwick then Roger?

I'm not so keen Les, always seems a long trot for little gain, though I'm less familiar with what's there ... I'll keep an eye on the weather forecast and decide toward the end of the week.
Sort of maybe then rather than definite :)

What would you recommend then lez out of Greylake or Shapwick either one I don't mind just be good to get out for few hrs

I personally love Greylake Mark- nice reed bed area and 2 decent hides, not too far to walk from the car park either,

So that would be my personal venue of choice

Les

I'll give this one a miss as the weather forecast isn't that good, so no chance to take on Les's amazing sunrise images, and my camera/long lens combination isn't great if the light isn't good enough. I do like Greylake though. I've got tomorrow off and will be taking my camera for a walk so if I have time I may come home via Greylake.

Good choice for Greylake, I have spent many hours there this winter, was there yesterday and going tomorrow morning.

There have been 3 Marsh harriers, 2 x Peregrines present for weeks that frequently fly through and disturb the many birds that are there, quite a sight when thousands of birds take to the air. Sometimes along way off though.

It is also worth checking out the feeders around the car park.

25058428006_7e75acf71d_o.jpg

Peregrine Falcon : Falco peregrinus by Jerry Hawker, on Flickr

24443408104_9105a2cabb_o.jpg

Reed Bunting : Emberiza schoeniclus by Jerry Hawker, on Flickr

Back