Handheld

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been thinking about a long lens for a while now but not sure if it would be right for me or not, just looking for opinions.

Profile-
Im photographing birds and wildlife and quite often smaller type of birds.
I walk about most of the time and seldom static.
Im usually out for about 5 or 6hrs carrying a lens and camera which can get quite heavy over that period of time.
My current camera and lens is the D300 with the Sigma 120-300 and added 1.4TC which can be a bit limiting for distance at times but is nice and quick and good in low light without the TC.
I often find myself cropping pics just now.
I can sometimes get a sore back because the lens and camera around my neck but can cope most of the time.
I like the idea of a longer lens and maybe even with VR but not necessary.
I really dont want to go much heavier than just now
I seldom use my monopod or tripod.

Im thinking of around 500/600mm Nikon either the AFS II or VR versions.
Whats your opinions on both the above lenses, are they ok to handhold.

To be honest, you can have all the focal length in the world and still have to crop if you plan badly.

Your line "I walk about most of the time and seldom static." sums it all really, if you want to photograph birds, the is by far the worst way to do it. There is no reason why you can't get more than ample shots of even the smallest birds with a hide and 400mm.

This kills 2 birds with 1 stone (in a matter of speaking :LOL:) Number one, you aren't hiking around with gear on all your back all day.....number two, you save yourself a few thousand.

I've tried walking around snapping birds with 400mm many times, and it isn't always the reach that is the biggest problem, it is the lack of flexibility regarding perches, backgrounds and light....all solved with a hide, as you set these up and attract the birds to you! Get in a hide and pop, you can snap away at the small birds with anything between 200 and 400mm easily!

Portable hide....think about it (y)

Thanks Purpleclouds and yeah i will think about it however the local place i go has a much varied landscape. One one side there is a river, on the other there is open fields, another has woodland and to top it all off there is a large body of water in the middle.Each area attracts different bird types and even within each area the birds stick to a certain type of habitat. It could be that i need to set my sights on 1 bird type and go for it rather than doing all the areas in 1 day.

I would also like to know if any camera straps go over both shoulders to balance the camera/lens in the middle rather than 1 side of my body as i feel this is where some of my back pain comes from ( badly balanced ).

close .... close ... closer :)

forget the big glass. you just cant depend on birds to stay still ... god gave them wings to avoid photos.

as already said, get a hide, flask, beer and comfy stool. there are some great deals on ebay at the mo.

i shoot wild elephants, lions and rhino as close as i can get. you just cant beat it for quality. telephotos are very good when you cant quite get the shot but given the option i would go close (have i said close enough)

I handhold my long lenses 95% of the time (I can do 420mm OK), the other 5% I'm on a beanbag.

Never use tripods for wildlife, not nimble enough.

First thing both the 500 and 600 are considerably heavier than the 120-300 if you are seriously going to get one of these then you don`t want to be doing much walking. You will wan`t a tripod and good gimbal head.
But as Phil has said good planning is always going to be more beneficial. You go to the area reguarily......find out where the birds perch and at what time (most birds have a pattern of sorts to their movements and you should be able to say that a bird will revisit a perch at the same time (from sunrise not your watch) maybe not the next day but certainly within a few days). A hide is a fantastic bit of kit but with patiance and knowledge of a bird you sometimes don`t need that.......different birds have different tolerances of us humans some letting us get very close while others fly quite quickly, getting to know which birds stay and then slowly edging closer is a good way of eating away those meters to the bird, the time of day also affects birds activity many birds are far mor active around sunrise (unforuantly :LOL:).
Most of all practice you will begin to see for yourself what works for what birds.

Theres loads more but I hope that helps.

Back