Hands Project by Susie.

Name
susie
Edit My Images
Yes
It may seem a bit strange me posting my own thread....I'm far from an experienced knowledgeable photographer, but I do have a love of the hobby and I've wanted for some time to do a project of my own. Blakesters wonderful 100 faces is amazing, and on the day DK posted his Strips thread I'd been mulling over what to choose. I do love nature but I take hundreds of nature photos so I wanted something that little bit different, something that would lead me into other peoples lives and whenever possible give me some background to their story.

I did a Hands shot last year for my 52, it was always one of my favourites linking the old and the young. For me it portrays the journey from babyhood to old age. So I'm choosing that as my first one.

The second one which spurred me on this week I've also put in my 52's, I think that one was the deciding point, that yes this was a project I wanted to do.

You may wonder why I feel the need to start a thread, it's because I know myself, if I just make a folder in Flickr I will take a few half hearted shots, but by putting it on here I make a commitment to myself to do the best I can. Some shots will be quickies taken on my mobile phone, some I'm sure will be ones that I'll spend hours getting just right to achieve the look I want.

I am anticipating all black and white ...maybe with added effects but not colour ....but we shall see.

Do feel free to look and comment if you have a minute to spare ....it would be much appreciated, hopefully it will be an interesting thread.

Hands One ...

LIFE IS A JOURNEY

Hand TP by susiejb2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hands two

Dave the carpenter

After leaving school at 15 Dave took an apprenticeship as a carpenter and it's been his trade ever since. With a skill that has grown over the years he can create an object of beauty from a simple piece of wood. Dave has a common carpenters trademark, two partially severed fingers, painfully acquired on an electric planer shortly after his apprenticeship finished. I won't give the gory details :)

I've adjusted this slightly from the original, I've lightened it by about 10% and I've cloned out some marks on the sweater that I thought were distracting.

Hands TP by susiejb2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice idea although the 2nd image is out of focus - which is a shame

Les

I like both of these very much Susie, and think you have an excellent idea under way. The choice of working in B&W is very good but can be a little challenging to make sure all of the shots have enough impact without colour to help them along. I'm sure you'll make a fine job of it though if these first two shots are anything to go by. Looking forward to seeing the next images.(y)

George.

Just like Iains thread, for me - it's the backstory that makes the shots.

They're both brill, but Les has said it - #2 is out of focus which spoils the image. It's also on a really uncomfortable angle for me but that's probably my OCD. However it has a metric ton of impact which makes up for the previous two points. You've got an eye for a great shot - just need to tighten up the technicals. In my opinion anyways.

Subscribed! Good luck!

Ian.

Nice idea although the 2nd image is out of focus - which is a shame

Les

Hi Les....thank you for looking in, much appreciated. When I used that photo in the 52's I did mention the focus, but I forgot to put it on here. I had to be quick. and yes unfortunately I missed getting it right, but I felt it still told the story that I wanted to tell so I stuck with it. Its all a learning curve and hopefully I can improve as I go along.

I like both of these very much Susie, and think you have an excellent idea under way. The choice of working in B&W is very good but can be a little challenging to make sure all of the shots have enough impact without colour to help them along. I'm sure you'll make a fine job of it though if these first two shots are anything to go by. Looking forward to seeing the next images.(y)

George.

Hi George ...it's good to see you popping in, yes, I may backtrack on saying no colour ....we shall see :)

Hi Susie, wonderful project IMHO.
Both of your images tell a story in their own right but having a backstory just adds that extra dimension.
Good luck on your project, I shall look in regularly.

Oh and I don't think its strange at all you posting this thread, I think it is a great idea.
I use my thread as a mini blog almost, its different from flickr, it gives people somewhere to come, look at your work and for both them and you to share thoughts, comments and opinions.

All the best Susie, great start to your project :)

Just like Iains thread, for me - it's the backstory that makes the shots.

They're both brill, but Les has said it - #2 is out of focus which spoils the image. It's also on a really uncomfortable angle for me but that's probably my OCD. However it has a metric ton of impact which makes up for the previous two points. You've got an eye for a great shot - just need to tighten up the technicals. In my opinion anyways.

Subscribed! Good luck!

Ian.

Hi Ian ... thank you for taking the time to look and comment. Yes I agree about the back story, I enjoy writing so I don't want to do just photos, I want when possible to say something to bring them alive and tell a bit of a story too.

I've mentioned the focus above ...I did try several angles and my 'model' was getting a bit impatient, I wanted to get the hand holding the plane and the hand with the cut off fingers, I agree it's not the natural angle that he would use.

Hopefully it will be an interesting challenge and thank you for the good wishes :)

Hi Susie, wonderful project IMHO.
Both of your images tell a story in their own right but having a backstory just adds that extra dimension.
Good luck on your project, I shall look in regularly.

Oh and I don't think its strange at all you posting this thread, I think it is a great idea.
I use my thread as a mini blog almost, its different from flickr, it gives people somewhere to come, look at your work and for both them and you to share thoughts, comments and opinions.

All the best Susie, great start to your project :)

Hi Iain and thank you, I much appreciate the encouragement :) I've loads of ideas for photos that I want to take and I'm sure I'm going to meet some interesting people along the way, I'm actually really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Second pic made me laugh! I know several carpenters who are digitally challenged.

Wonderful project Susie, I'm really looking forward to seeing your submissions :)

Strangely the focus of the 2nd one doesn't bother me, in fact I can hardly tell. Hmm, that might not be good thing for me lol.

A wonderful idea for a project Susie and two great shots to start it off. I love the sharper focus of the first one that helps to bring out the differences that time brings and the sepia tint really adds something special to the feeling of time passing. On the other hand ( :oops: :$ ) I'm normally a bit squeamish about missing limbs or digits, but the slightly soft focus on the second shot somehow seems to soften the blow as it were without detracting in any way from the overall image and the story behind it. Well done and keep it up :clap:

Last edited:
I agree with Judi. Sharpness can be overrated in a context like this. Besides, this shot isn't out of focus anyway. The plane-of-focus looks to be on the cuff and plane. Software sharpness could be added to the carpenter's right hand, especially the forefinger, and that might be beneficial.

But sometimes it's about a trade-off that gets you the shot, otherwise you might miss it, IMO.
:)

Last edited:
A wonderful idea for a project Susie and two great shots to start it off. I love the sharper focus of the first one that helps to bring out the differences that time brings and the sepia tint really adds something special to the feeling of time passing. On the other hand ( :oops: :$ ) I'm normally a bit squeamish about missing limbs or digits, but the slightly soft focus on the second shot somehow seems to soften the blow as it were without detracting in any way from the overall image and the story behind it. Well done and keep it up :clap:

Thanks for looking in Elaine .... I just knew there was a reason that focus was off :) hopefully no more squeamish ones ...but no promises :)

I agree with Judi. Sharpness can be overrated in a context like this. Besides, this shot isn't out of focus anyway. The plane-of-focus looks to be on the cuff and plane. Software sharpness could be added to the carpenter's right hand, especially the forefinger, and that might be beneficial.

But sometimes it's about a trade-off that gets you the shot, otherwise you might miss it, IMO.
:)

Thanks Sam for looking in and the encouraging comment :) yes I think a lot of the shots will be quick as you can't really stop someone working while you spend ages fiddling around, hopefully it will be a mixture of the more posed ones and the quickies

Hi Susie ... well done on starting this thread, I know you like to have projects aplenty on the go. Good luck & I hope it's forever enjoyable. It might be an idea to post a link on your TP52 thread ... I'm probably not the only one who gets easily lost on this site and rarely if ever visits the Projects & Themes index page.

Re your first two shots, I'm in agreement with the rest, but will say again, I lurve #1 ... composition, lighting, focus, BG. (y)

Hi Susie ... well done on starting this thread, I know you like to have projects aplenty on the go. Good luck & I hope it's forever enjoyable. It might be an idea to post a link on your TP52 thread ... I'm probably not the only one who gets easily lost on this site and rarely if ever visits the Projects & Themes index page.

Re your first two shots, I'm in agreement with the rest, but will say again, I lurve #1 ... composition, lighting, focus, BG. (y)

Thanks d00d ...must admit to feeling a slight sense of trepidation, but if I commit myself to something I rarely give in, so I will bash a way at it and hopefully learn a lot along the way. Mmmmmm maybe a mistake that first one ...I love it too ....maybe not a good idea to post your favourite shot as your first one :rolleyes:

I've put a link in with my signature so hopefully folk will wander in here occasionally, and if its put on a watch it should come up, but I know its easy to miss when there are a lot of postings.

I did two yesterday ...

This one has made me think about several things ....firstly composition ....I should have included some of the girls head to actually show that it's hair braiding. I'm realising how quick you have to be ...obviously you can't spend ages messing when people are busy, I need to think more before I ask. Also ....I hate asking, I know they can only say no, BUT I do find it difficult, hopefully that will get easier. Lastly I am now wondering if I should heed the advice of George @G.K.Jnr. and consider putting some colour ones in too.

Hands four Yasmin

Yasmin who was attracting plenty of customers for her hair braiding and kindly stopped in mid flow for me to get this one.

yasmin1 by susiejb2, on Flickr

yasmin2 by susiejb2, on Flickr

Last edited:
This is a quickie that I took with my phone, I chatted to this lady Suzannah at a meeting on Monday, I liked her story so much I really wanted to include it on here, she was talking about some scarring on her hands and wrist and went on to tell me that she ran into a plate glass door which smashed, it slashed open her wrist and cut her hands, and also slashed an artery in her ankle. She was bleeding very badly, so much so it was life threatening. A chap came to her aid and stemmed the bleeding until the ambulance came, he visited her in hospital and their friendship grew, and last August they were married ....how nice is that. So hands number five is Suzannah who married Ian the man who saved her life. :)

Hands five Suzannah

Hands five by susiejb2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Susie

I like the little stories behind the hands. Suzannah's story is engaging and so is your accompanying photo.

That's a nice shot Susie, and it is lovely to hear the story behind it. Keep up the good work.(y)

George.

Hi Susie

I like the little stories behind the hands. Suzannah's story is engaging and so is your accompanying photo.

That's a nice shot Susie, and it is lovely to hear the story behind it. Keep up the good work.(y)

George.

Thank you d00d and George :) I thought that was an absolute gem of a story too, much too good to leave out.

@susiejb These are interesting shots. Hands are just interesting. I particularly like the hands that are engaged in a task of one form or another. I'm not feeling the "safe hands" image much as it's more about the dog for me, and his tattoo dominates. I do like the idea of images of hands that have evidence of story, and the ones where there are scars, or damage through work are starting to get really interesting.

Carry on! It would be interesting to see if you can contact more people who's hands tell a story and make something of this.

@susiejb These are interesting shots. Hands are just interesting. I particularly like the hands that are engaged in a task of one form or another. I'm not feeling the "safe hands" image much as it's more about the dog for me, and his tattoo dominates. I do like the idea of images of hands that have evidence of story, and the ones where there are scars, or damage through work are starting to get really interesting.

Carry on! It would be interesting to see if you can contact more people who's hands tell a story and make something of this.

Thanks David ...yes, I think I felt an obligation to take 'a photo' at the start whereas now I've thought about it more I agree I need to put more thought into the story behind them and wait for the right ones.
Thank you for the encouragement .....much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Glad to see you're still at it!

One thing you might want to consider and something that stands out in Iain's (@blakester) thread is deciding on a processing "style" for the project. Maybe keep them mostly black & white or colour for example. The stories are a brill addition.

Keep at it!

Oh - and if you want hands tips from the best, check out the latest Star Wars trailer. JJ Abrams likes his hands. :)

Glad to see you're still at it!

One thing you might want to consider and something that stands out in Iain's (@blakester) thread is deciding on a processing "style" for the project. Maybe keep them mostly black & white or colour for example. The stories are a brill addition.

Keep at it!

Oh - and if you want hands tips from the best, check out the latest Star Wars trailer. JJ Abrams likes his hands. :)

Thanks for looking in Ian. There are some in that clip I don't think I'll mange to find in Cornwall :) I actually liked the hand reaching down to help...I like the concept behind that one and may steal it somewhere.
I agree about a theme...I really wanted all B&W or muted tones, but I've already digressed from that. I may spend some more time on them and see if I can get a better theme going, but unfortunately some do seem to work better in colour.

This thread has made me look at my own hands more carefully. There's a few scars but no interesting stories to tell about them. I've certainly seen a few hands that had real character but mostly in men who have always done manual labour. Women's hands however are usually just elegant.

Congratulations on such an interesting project.

I agree about a theme...I really wanted all B&W or muted tones, but I've already digressed from that. I may spend some more time on them and see if I can get a better theme going, but unfortunately some do seem to work better in colour.

I think your words here remind me that that's the whole point of a project like this. Perhaps your "style" will evolve over time. I think these in-depth projects are really great - especially seeing how the photographer finds and defines their way through.

This thread has made me look at my own hands more carefully. There's a few scars but no interesting stories to tell about them. I've certainly seen a few hands that had real character but mostly in men who have always done manual labour. Women's hands however are usually just elegant.

Congratulations on such an interesting project.

Hi Derek ....the idea came to me when I did the first one and thought about the huge span between the two ages. Everyone has a story to tell :) but I shall try to seek out some of extra interest. Some may even be very ordinary ... we shall see.

Thank you for looking in, very much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Taken on my phone again, this is Tony, he is 70 years of age. Born in London he moved to the USA in the sixties hoping to make it as a golf pro, but competition was fierce, he was offered the chance of overseeing early tourism in the Dominican Republic and spend many happy, exciting, and fulfilling years both there and in the Bahamas before returning to Britain. Tony has always been an active fun loving chap but four years ago his health took a turn for the worst and he now has kidney dialysis three times a week. Visiting him in the dialysis unit and seeing so many people of all ages hooked up to machines made me personally realise afresh the importance of organ donation and how precious our health is.

Hands Six ...Tony

Hands 6 by susiejb2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Susie,
How do you find the composition on this? There's something not quite right that I can't put my finger on. Looking at your others, they are well composed.

The blood filled tubes are a really strong component of the image and stand out stark against the white bedsheets. The hand just seems awkwardly placed in the image and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's that I want to see more space to the left, or maybe you could take a bit off the bottom as there's nothing going on there. I don't know.

The bit of sheet obscuring the tube would look better if it had been tucked away before shooting too, but I don't know how easy that would have been.

It's a really strong subject and invokes and emotional reaction which is the mark of a great photograph. This is a brill project Susie - keep it up.

Hi Susie,
How do you find the composition on this? There's something not quite right that I can't put my finger on. Looking at your others, they are well composed.

The blood filled tubes are a really strong component of the image and stand out stark against the white bedsheets. The hand just seems awkwardly placed in the image and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's that I want to see more space to the left, or maybe you could take a bit off the bottom as there's nothing going on there. I don't know.

The bit of sheet obscuring the tube would look better if it had been tucked away before shooting too, but I don't know how easy that would have been.

It's a really strong subject and invokes and emotional reaction which is the mark of a great photograph. This is a brill project Susie - keep it up.

Thanks Ian ....much appreciate your comments ....I did crop some off the bottom, but I agree it needs more off, I'll do it later.
Composition....I felt a bit awkward taking the photo, I did ask if it was okay but I still felt a bit uncomfortable (probably just me), so it was literally one quick shot and done.
I keep hoping for one I can take more time on.....I guess my confidence will grow as the project progresses, it is very interesting to do and I'm enjoying it.

Back