Hannah on location

hi great shots, can u explain as im quite new to photgraphy how u get the face so clear in the images, i was told to try and shoot in aperature mode which i do, but id like to get images like this any help *** be great

thanks

hi great shots, can u explain as im quite new to photgraphy how u get the face so clear in the images, i was told to try and shoot in aperature mode which i do, but id like to get images like this any help *** be great

thanks

Hiya... These are mostly shot at F2.8, so the lens is focused on the models face, achieved by ensuring the focus point of the camera is on her face and then moving the camera to the composition. You can do it at narrower apertures to, but the clarity of focus is one of the things that a better lens gives you more regularly.

Gordon, these are really nice. I like the last one very much. My only crit would be that her face is a bit soft in #4.

I think the temperature works perfectly with the conditions and the model.

She looks like a giant in #6. :)

I too like the colour temperature. It suits the pictures perfectly. #1 is the winner for me.

Last edited:
No. 1 for me, I should be recieving the Sigma 70-200mm lens tommorow, I heard it wasnt at its sharpest at f2.8, looks fine to me though, whats your view?

I like 1 and 2 really natural, 4 would be spot on but her face is a little soft.

3,5 and 6 look a little over processed for my taste.

No. 1 for me, I should be recieving the Sigma 70-200mm lens tommorow, I heard it wasnt at its sharpest at f2.8, looks fine to me though, whats your view?

Thanks for feedback, I have the earlier non-macro version that I bought on here second hand a few weeks ago. If is lovely and sharp at F2.8, I did hear the newer macro versions are a little softer wide open, but there are plenty of people on here who have them and say they are real sharp too.

No.3 for me. Lovely.

Great set and must say 1 & 3 for me :)

There seems to be some catch light's in 1 & 2 did you use flash? or is it natural light.

Thanks. The catch light's are from the sun... it was bright and about to set, so low in the sky.

Thanks for feedback, I have the earlier non-macro version that I bought on here second hand a few weeks ago. If is lovely and sharp at F2.8, I did hear the newer macro versions are a little softer wide open, but there are plenty of people on here who have them and say they are real sharp too.

Hi Gordon

Lovely set (y)

Glad to see that you are getting on with the 70- 200 :)

I like #6

#3 is good, but I'd have liked to see how the photo looked with the model on the other side of the archway, in terms of lighting. I'd also like to see a bw conversion.

I like the skin tones in #1 and #2, but the model's expression doesn't seem quite right.
#4 doesn't look quite natural enough and has me thinking 'catalogue shot' - don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing. This is my third favourite out of the set, after #6 and #3.

#5 - I think could have done with a bit more foreground, shot from slightly further out. Not sure about the model's expression here either.

Sorry for being so heavy on the criticism. I'm not sure I could shoot any better... I'm not sure I would have the courage to get someone to model for me. Might have to give it a go sometime....

They're a good set of images, but you need to consider a couple of things in each image for taking them to the next level (you've had all the compliments, so this is now down to business to help you improve).

Firstly in #1, either scalp or include more of the top of head, but avoid doing the crop at the hair line as this leaves the image looking like you made a mistake with the crop. If you scroll down just a weeny bit and take off about 1cm you'll see that the image is stronger, though I'd also like some of the bottom cropped too.

#2 is a much stronger crop but she just looks fed up, bored and cold. I like the hair going over her face, but by asking her to open her mouth a little and giving her something to think about, an emotion to react to, then her expression will improve to fit the image.

#3 her arm and leg are beautifully lit, but her face is just starting to go into shadow and isn't as well lit. Also, she looks stiff, like she has been told to stand there. Do you talk to your models, and help them to relax? There isn't one of these images where she appears to be relaxed, and that's down to you - you need to work on helping her be relaxed within moments of starting to work with her. This is an overused location by your local photographers, so you need to work at creating something strong with the arches, and she isn't matching the strength of the locatoin.

#4 the location is good, but your positioning of her leaves wall coming out of her head. had you moved her slightly to your left then it would have worked better. Also, she is incredibly stiff in this shot - and being cold isn't an excuse - I have girls in summer dresses who I shoot in winter months, but the way you work with them helps them to be relaxed and to deliver on the job regardless of the weather.

#5 There's too much going on in this image so it's all distracting from the model, and she looks very bored. Her expression is not good at all.

#6 suffers from wrong lens choice as you have used a wider angle lens which makes her shoulder look huge. Also the positioning with the church makes her appear to be in Lilliput. Careful also with positioning of limbs towards the lens as this adds to distortions. Notice her fingers on her left hand - her fingers look short and dumpy because you have them pointing at the lens. Again, her expression doesn't work.

Hope that helps
Z

I like #6

#3 is good, but I'd have liked to see how the photo looked with the model on the other side of the archway, in terms of lighting. I'd also like to see a bw conversion.

I like the skin tones in #1 and #2, but the model's expression doesn't seem quite right.
#4 doesn't look quite natural enough and has me thinking 'catalogue shot' - don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing. This is my third favourite out of the set, after #6 and #3.

#5 - I think could have done with a bit more foreground, shot from slightly further out. Not sure about the model's expression here either.

Sorry for being so heavy on the criticism. I'm not sure I could shoot any better... I'm not sure I would have the courage to get someone to model for me. Might have to give it a go sometime....

Thanks very much for the feedback, I do have shots on the other side of the arch and will have a look at B&W. It's good to hear your pointers... very valuable for me to develop further.

They're a good set of images, but you need to consider a couple of things in each image for taking them to the next level (you've had all the compliments, so this is now down to business to help you improve).

Firstly in #1, either scalp or include more of the top of head, but avoid doing the crop at the hair line as this leaves the image looking like you made a mistake with the crop. If you scroll down just a weeny bit and take off about 1cm you'll see that the image is stronger, though I'd also like some of the bottom cropped too.

#2 is a much stronger crop but she just looks fed up, bored and cold. I like the hair going over her face, but by asking her to open her mouth a little and giving her something to think about, an emotion to react to, then her expression will improve to fit the image.

#3 her arm and leg are beautifully lit, but her face is just starting to go into shadow and isn't as well lit. Also, she looks stiff, like she has been told to stand there. Do you talk to your models, and help them to relax? There isn't one of these images where she appears to be relaxed, and that's down to you - you need to work on helping her be relaxed within moments of starting to work with her. This is an overused location by your local photographers, so you need to work at creating something strong with the arches, and she isn't matching the strength of the locatoin.

#4 the location is good, but your positioning of her leaves wall coming out of her head. had you moved her slightly to your left then it would have worked better. Also, she is incredibly stiff in this shot - and being cold isn't an excuse - I have girls in summer dresses who I shoot in winter months, but the way you work with them helps them to be relaxed and to deliver on the job regardless of the weather.

#5 There's too much going on in this image so it's all distracting from the model, and she looks very bored. Her expression is not good at all.

#6 suffers from wrong lens choice as you have used a wider angle lens which makes her shoulder look huge. Also the positioning with the church makes her appear to be in Lilliput. Careful also with positioning of limbs towards the lens as this adds to distortions. Notice her fingers on her left hand - her fingers look short and dumpy because you have them pointing at the lens. Again, her expression doesn't work.

Hope that helps
Z

Thanks for the in-depth critique; really appreciated. It's lovely getting the compliments and the CC is great for development.

I can see what you mean for nearly all your points. She is young, new to modelling and it was cold... I did talk a lot to her a lot, but it was a learning curve; the first couple of locations did not work well on the day and things improved later. The look is deliberately non-glamour, but I still want them to work...

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back