Critique Hare

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken late yesterday this guy was pretty jumpy so this was sadly as close as I got. I really should have done better,Options to shoot other than all most straight into the setting sun were somewhat limited also I was under pressure as some clouds were about to steal the light My hare's angle also against me to get where I would have liked would have put the sun all but directly behund him.. I took a number of frames at differing exposure in an effort to learn a bit more about back lit subjects and how to approach this type of image which personally I love, this is taken from one of the more brighter ones,i'm questing for that "ring of fire look here,so have pulled exposure back quite a bit. Processed in dpp4
canon 300f2.8 1.4 extiii.
ss 1250
f4.5
iso1250

_70F3832 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers for all the help guys

take care

stu

Backlit is a tough one Stuart,i always like to have a vision or near as damn it to a shot i am looking for with my subject and it always proves difficult and frustrating as you dont get that light every day ,or the oportunity ,i like your final rendition Stu and i am just loving the light and conditions ,such a gorgeous setting ,great contrast in light above and below the subject ,if it was mine a would clone the slightly brighter piece of grass to the left (or choose a different crop) ,and also the bright spot at the top right if it could take cropping down,there is some noise but that dont bother me as i know if you print that at 8x10 it wouldnt show (y) Just my opinion Stu ,others may differ.

Last edited:

A wabit in sundown atmosphere…
man, how romantic is that?

The colours of this backlit scene may be an
exotic dream for any long eared jumper!

Stu, you did make me smile! :)

It really is Den and cheers for your previous help on this,yes I concur if I had the next stage in processing I'd like to reduce the top right corner although I quite like the cuckoo spit or spiders web bottom left it sort of adds some balance to me rather than being a distraction,but I take your point I did wonder if others might say this.

Den I guess it's about 80% of full frame,but I don't think I can crop in much further. whether it was the conditions or simply me I am unsure but I was really struggling to get focus,I guess this must be very challenging for the camera,but I can't rule out pilot error at all. I've cropped in from the right and bottom Den mainly for comp,i'd have really liked to have got in just a few more yards and nailed full frame ,but sadly my skills were lacking field craft wise.He he I had just woken up spotted him nabbed a wake up cuppo char then gear on ,but no excuses:DI dropped the ball for a few seconds, because of a bramble stem I had to negotiate and he spotted me, I also blew a chance of a muntjac in the same moments. I then had to stay put untill things calmed I consider myself very fortunate to get anything

Ahh Den how lucky am I,this is taken literally in a field in front of my house,hare spotted from the stairwell window. Twenty plus years we have lived here and the hares have never been seen right by the house,now it is becoming a regular occurance.

Den thanks for the thoughts and crit they always make me ponder,there can be such magic as the sun drops this backlit sort of senario as noted above is something I'd really love to master,minutes later all was grey,there were really just minutes where this was possible!,When I left there was no sun but I could see a window coming it doesn't make learning easy mate,but damn it's worth getting sodden for and trying to get a shot
take care

Stu

A wabit in sundown atmosphere…
man, how romantic is that?

The colours of this backlit scene may be an
exotic dream for any long eared jumper!

Stu, you did make me smile! :)
Cheers Daniel we might actually get some summer soon,ahh buddy as I left the fields, light gone, damn if another went up from my feet,that I had missed completely.It is lovely having them so close now
thanks for your comments mate

stu

Back