Has anybody gone back to their DSLR?

Never even considered Mirrorless as all the ones that I have tried (mostly Canon and Sony) are pretty mediocre. When they get a viewfinder that shows real time and AF to match my out of date DSLR cameras then I will buy in!

I love the principle of ML but they are just not there yet for my uses.

What mirrorless camera were you using and what are you comparing against? Because the better milc now outperform the best dslr cameras.

Last edited:
What mirrorless camera were you using and what are you comparing against? Because the better milc now outperform the best dslr cameras.

Sony and canon, as I said - I was looking at the full frame models.

Sony don't have the lenses or AF and Canon (mirrorless) don't have the AF that I need + neither have viewfinders that are satisfactory for my needs/uses. Add to that they have silly little batteries that are of lower voltage (don't drive my lenses very well) etc etc. They are great for many users, have good to excellent IQ and are smaller/lighter - but they have a long way to go before they are of any use to me.

Were I a portrait/landscape photographer then my views would be different - but I am not, I prefer birds/wildlife and mirrorless is just not there yet.

I was comparing them to my 7D2 and 1DX - and ML was pretty poor for me. I am sure they will get there, if/when they do I will probably buy one.

Several times, I've tried various Fuji's (X2, X-T1) Panasonics (G7 and G9) Olympus (EM-10 amd EM-1) amd even a Sigma DP3, a Nikon Z6 and each time I go back to my Nikon D7200 (I'm on my third one now) I've tried Canon with a 6D and I also have a D800 but it's a bit to heavy for my taste.

The D7200 is the sweet spot for me, with decent glass I really don't need any more.

Sony don't have the lenses or AF and Canon (mirrorless) don't have the AF that I need + neither have viewfinders that are satisfactory for my needs/uses. Add to that they have silly little batteries that are of lower voltage (don't drive my lenses very well) etc etc. They are great for many users, have good to excellent IQ and are smaller/lighter - but they have a long way to go before they are of any use to me.

Were I a portrait/landscape photographer then my views would be different - but I am not, I prefer birds/wildlife and mirrorless is just not there yet.

I was comparing them to my 7D2 and 1DX - and ML was pretty poor for me. I am sure they will get there, if/when they do I will probably buy one.
Which models? A9 should be up there among the best.

:LOL:

Depends what you are looking at the A9 has industry leading A.F for a full frame camera.

The A6600, A6400 has industry leading A.F for A.P.S.C

Would have thought that the Sony 200-600, 100-400, 400 & 600 would have been ideal for birds/wildlife.

Sony battery life in all of their newer full frame bodies is excellent.

Reading this thread has got me thinking, that if you want to trade in all of your old DSLR gear and swap too ML and systems, then now is the time. Because other than the lenses (that are adaptable) the value of your DSLR is just going to fall through the floor. The market will be flooded with them, with more and more ML camera's being bought, who will want a used DSLR. Obviously not everyone will go ML, but the DSLR users will be a much smaller group of people.

Reading this thread has got me thinking, that if you want to trade in all of your old DSLR gear and swap too ML and systems, then now is the time. Because other than the lenses (that are adaptable) the value of your DSLR is just going to fall through the floor. The market will be flooded with them, with more and more ML camera's being bought, who will want a used DSLR. Obviously not everyone will go ML, but the DSLR users will be a much smaller group of people.

You'd think that would be the case but I wonder when the retail outlets that are selling so many entry level DSLR's and kit lenses will stop recommending them to people who have, and no offence meant here, no idea what they're buying or why and recommend a mirrorless set up instead. I suppose the price of mirrorless would have to come down a bit as some of the entry level DSLR's and kit lens packages seem to be at almost give away prices.

But of course the masses buying entry level DSLR and kit lens packages are almost certainly not going to be buying the more higher end bodies and lenses people on this site would possibly be selling if going mirrorless.

Last edited:
I have the eos r, last camera was the 77d. Just been on a job and had to use both, with the 77d was another r!!

The 77 feels like an old manual winding film camera in comparison, the tools in the r make the job a lot easier, but it is a learning curve.

I use the ef lenses on both so there is no actual weight savings to be had, just a better shooting experience. It is a very different system (even though the UI is the same) so it does need approaching differently. Hard to go back to the dinosaurs after though!!

T

I purchased a Fuji X-T3 + 10-24,18-55, 55-200 earlier this year with a view of weight saving more than anything. I have a Nikon D800 with 24-70 2.8 and a D300 with a few other lenses. I have to say I found the Fuji disappointing when it came to motorsport. The viewfinder just cant keep up with panning and it blacks out (why I dont know, seen as there is no mirror) Its OK for normal use but I'm seriously thinking of ditching the Fuji stuff and maybe buying a Z6 to utilise my Nikkor lenses. Also the Fuji keeps wanting a reboot with the 55-200 lens. After all the hype on here I just can't get on with it so in my view I would keep the DSLR.

Last edited:
got stuck with the dslr, gear that would have flown out the door in the past is now a hard sell apparently.

I have both mirrorless and dslr

I don't doubt that you are right but I've yet to see and EVF that gives me the same sense of presence as an optical view finder (and I tried most of the current ones at the Photography show this year). That said I don't think there is anything as good as looking at the world through a waist level finder on a medium format camera so it's probably just what I have got used to over the years.

Keep the DSLR long enough and the hipsters will be paying a premium for "analogue" view finders :)

The viewfinder just cant keep up with panning and it blacks out (why I dont know, seen as there is no mirror)
Shutter presumably? The EVF is reading the sensor, when you take a shot the shutter has to close, open and close for the exposure and then open again for the EVF to display - probably blacks out for longer than a DSLR

OVF is the only real thing I miss from dslr. Especially in low light when.

I run two systems at the moment both with their strengths. I am wondering if anybody has gone back to their DSLR having switched to one of the mirrorless systems; if so, why? I would prefer not to debate the "DSLR is dead theme" as that has already had a thread. Thanks.

.... I run both D-SLR and Mirrorless too. But they are both part of the same Canon EOS system and it's simply a matter of choosing the right horse for the course - They each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Often I take out both my EOS-R and my 1DX-2 and EF L lenses can also be mounted on my EOS-R mirrorless full-frame body via a Canon Adapter and with absolutely no loss of image quality.

I am keeping an open mind about the future. I may swop my 1DX-2 for the forthcoming EOS-RX (the mirrorless 1DX equivalent) or I may swop my EOS-R for it and keep my 1DX-2. I won't sell my 1DX-2 unless the EOS-RX mirrorless equivalent can outperform it in a number of ways which suit my genre of photography.

In other words I am very happy to have both D-SLR and Mirrorless bodies in my arsenal.

Which Sony and Canon? Im guessing none of the newer Mk3/IV or A9 Sonys.

Which Sony and Canon? Im guessing none of the newer Mk3/IV or A9 Sonys.

No Sony A9 cameras (A7 series only) - but Sony cameras are hardly relevant as their longest high quality lens is 400mm = half the focal length that I normally use. I read that the A9 is a great camera - but no suitable lenses for me - so it's a no brainer. I am sure they will get there but they haven't done it yet.

I purchased a Fuji X-T3 + 10-24,18-55, 55-200 earlier this year with a view of weight saving more than anything. I have a Nikon D800 with 24-70 2.8 and a D300 with a few other lenses. I have to say I found the Fuji disappointing when it came to motorsport. The viewfinder just cant keep up with panning and it blacks out (why I dont know, seen as there is no mirror) Its OK for normal use but I'm seriously thinking of ditching the Fuji stuff and maybe buying a Z6 to utilise my Nikkor lenses. Also the Fuji keeps wanting a reboot with the 55-200 lens. After all the hype on here I just can't get on with it so in my view I would keep the DSLR.
Seems you have some faulty equipment that should be covered by waranty. I doubt youll find the Z6 Better for motorsport than a proper X-T3.

No Sony A9 cameras (A7 series only) - but Sony cameras are hardly relevant as their longest high quality lens is 400mm = half the focal length that I normally use. I read that the A9 is a great camera - but no suitable lenses for me - so it's a no brainer. I am sure they will get there but they haven't done it yet.
So the 600mm is not hight quality? Or the 200-600mm?

:LOL:

Depends what you are looking at the A9 has industry leading A.F for a full frame camera.

The A6600, A6400 has industry leading A.F for A.P.S.C

Would have thought that the Sony 200-600, 100-400, 400 & 600 would have been ideal for birds/wildlife.

Sony battery life in all of their newer full frame bodies is excellent.

Unfortunately I have not, yet, had the opportunity to try the "G-Master" 600 F4. Looks like Sony are getting really getting into the full system game! Now if they could only give me an OVF?

As to battery life? I read that they have made major improvements - but do they make a pack that allows me to leave my camera on all day regardless of the number of shots I take, within reasonable limits - say 1k or so? I find that what drains batteries the most is not actually taking images but being ready to go all the time. Also they are two cell packs, my (preferred) packs are 3 cell which drive my lens's AF systems faster - essential for me.

Sony are obviously improving, perhaps I should look at them again?

Seems you have some faulty equipment that should be covered by waranty. I doubt youll find the Z6 Better for motorsport than a proper X-T3.

Please see my subsequent pots.

Unfortunately I have not, yet, had the opportunity to try the "G-Master" 600 F4. Looks like Sony are getting really getting into the full system game! Now if they could only give me an OVF?

As to battery life? I read that they have made major improvements - but do they make a pack that allows me to leave my camera on all day regardless of the number of shots I take, within reasonable limits - say 1k or so? I find that what drains batteries the most is not actually taking images but being ready to go all the time. Also they are two cell packs, my (preferred) packs are 3 cell which drive my lens's AF systems faster - essential for me.

Sony are obviously improving, perhaps I should look at them again?

On a normal wedding day I get about 1400-1500 shots and usually still have about 20% battery left. You can also top up on the hoof using a usb power bank if needed. I never have.

On a normal wedding day I get about 1400-1500 shots and usually still have about 20% battery left. You can also top up on the hoof using a usb power bank if needed. I never have.

I am not a wedding photographer so I have no idea what 14/1500 wedding shots equates to battery wise - but I bet it is stressful! A couple of years ago I went to Pembrey racing circuit and took 3K shots without loosing one bar on my battery indicator - but I was only there for about 3 hours so it is pretty meaningless for my main uses.

Can I attach a Sony camera to a 600 F4 (or better) and have it ready to go for 12 hours (including multiple failed and a few successful attempts with the viewfinder live at all times without faffing about without battery changes/re-charging? I honestly don't know the answer to this question.

I am not knocking the Sony system, it is just that they haven't (yet) produced a camera that suits my needs in my hands.
For many users I am sure they are just the job

Can I attach a Sony camera to a 600 F4 (or better) and have it ready to go for 12 hours (including multiple failed and a few successful attempts with the viewfinder live at all times without faffing about without battery changes/re-charging? I honestly don't know the answer to this question.

No, not off a single battery.

A mark 3 Sony should perform better than most if you're doing continuous shooting but it's worse over an extended period of time because of the EVF/rear display.

But on the other hand I find that little flip with the index finger when I raise the camera and again when I lower it becomes intuitive rather fast.

I am not a wedding photographer so I have no idea what 14/1500 wedding shots equates to battery wise - but I bet it is stressful! A couple of years ago I went to Pembrey racing circuit and took 3K shots without loosing one bar on my battery indicator - but I was only there for about 3 hours so it is pretty meaningless for my main uses.

I am not knocking the Sony system, it is just that they haven't (yet) produced a camera that suits my needs in my hands.
For many users I am sure they are just the job

Typical wedding day is 11-12 hours.

I have the eos r, last camera was the 77d. Just been on a job and had to use both, with the 77d was another r!!

The 77 feels like an old manual winding film camera in comparison, the tools in the r make the job a lot easier, but it is a learning curve.

I use the ef lenses on both so there is no actual weight savings to be had, just a better shooting experience. It is a very different system (even though the UI is the same) so it does need approaching differently. Hard to go back to the dinosaurs after though!!

T

I would say the EOS R was definitely my biggest purchase, but overall such a revelation compared to the tradition SLRS. Just need to figure out why results are still better on my RX10 mark 4 over this! Clearly user error!

I came back to photography last year after a long break. Having previously owned Canon gear I opted for an 80D.
I remember seeing post on here some years ago when Canon brought out their 'M' series and when I discovered that there wasn't a viewfinder and if you wanted one it something like £150 for the electronic version which I thought was taking the p!
So at that point I wasn't interested in the new technology.
Last year I took my 80D, Canon 70-300L (as a walkabout lens) and 10-22 on holiday as I knew I would use it on the trips we were taking.
Fast forward to this year, we are back at the same location but only taking one trip and the 80D hasn't been used at all as the trip wasn't suitable so I ended up using my phone.
At that point I realised either a mirrorless system would be more practical as I don't like using the screen for viewing.
So I had a looked at the Canon M10 and M100 and the reviews said they were aimed more towards people who used a smart phone and still no bloody viewfinder!
So I've look at the rest of the Canon mirrorless range only to realise it would be a costly investment on a system I would probably only used for 10 days a year (if that).
I tend to stick with a manufacturer if I like their products, for example I love Samsung phones and TVs.
In all fairness I should have a look at what the other manufacturers have released but I don't think I can be bothered with the hassle so I'll probably wait until Canon release a £300 mirrorless interchangeable system with a viewfinder even if it is a few years away.
So it's looking more like a bridge camera will be purchased.
However you'll have to prise my 80D and Tamron 100-400 from my cold dead hands when it comes to wildlife photography.

I came back to photography last year after a long break. Having previously owned Canon gear I opted for an 80D.
I remember seeing post on here some years ago when Canon brought out their 'M' series and when I discovered that there wasn't a viewfinder and if you wanted one it something like £150 for the electronic version which I thought was taking the p!
So at that point I wasn't interested in the new technology.
Last year I took my 80D, Canon 70-300L (as a walkabout lens) and 10-22 on holiday as I knew I would use it on the trips we were taking.
Fast forward to this year, we are back at the same location but only taking one trip and the 80D hasn't been used at all as the trip wasn't suitable so I ended up using my phone.
At that point I realised either a mirrorless system would be more practical as I don't like using the screen for viewing.
So I had a looked at the Canon M10 and M100 and the reviews said they were aimed more towards people who used a smart phone and still no bloody viewfinder!
So I've look at the rest of the Canon mirrorless range only to realise it would be a costly investment on a system I would probably only used for 10 days a year (if that).
I tend to stick with a manufacturer if I like their products, for example I love Samsung phones and TVs.
In all fairness I should have a look at what the other manufacturers have released but I don't think I can be bothered with the hassle so I'll probably wait until Canon release a £300 mirrorless interchangeable system with a viewfinder even if it is a few years away.
So it's looking more like a bridge camera will be purchased.
However you'll have to prise my 80D and Tamron 100-400 from my cold dead hands when it comes to wildlife photography.

You can get the Canon M50 on HDEW for not a whole lot more, £439, it's basically a mini mirrorless 80D, it's got the evf, flip out touch screen, same sensor [I think] etc

Typical wedding day is 11-12 hours.

So is your battery pack good for the whole day? I ask because this is the sort of battery performance I need and have.

So is your battery pack good for the whole day? I ask because this is the sort of battery performance I need and have.

You will need 2 batteries for 12 hours, For safety I would get 3. A single battery can last from say 8am to midday/1pm for me shooting non-stop, I tend to change it just before the ceremony, it usually have like 10% left around that point.

Battery life is loads better on DSLR - I never worried about a spare or running out of juice. Even a wedding would see it half full still.

XT3 with boost on, is ok - at an airshow I did get 600 shots before changing, on more normal use it is less but simply have 1 or 2 spare in the bag!

No, not off a single battery.

A mark 3 Sony should perform better than most if you're doing continuous shooting but it's worse over an extended period of time because of the EVF/rear display.

Thanks for your insights. As a wildlife photographer I may take one shot or a thousand but what I need is that the camera is instantly ready to go for as long as I am out there.

I can guarantee that the best photo opportunities come up when you or the gear is not ready!

You will need 2 batteries for 12 hours, For safety I would get 3. A single battery can last from say 8am to midday/1pm for me shooting non-stop, I tend to change it just before the ceremony, it usually have like 10% left around that point.

Thanks. I am already disappointed that my 1DX packs only last 1, and (maybe) a bit, days.

Wow really there is something wrong there I can do all day and usually have about 20% left.

Our shooting styles must be very different. When I first switched to Sony I used the evf pretty much all the time and used to have to switch batteries just before the speeches.

Now I don’t use the evf as much I can easily go all day without changing a battery.

I have noticed that the battery life depletes faster when using flash. I assume the connection between the camera and the flash must use a fair bit of power. I guess if you use flash a lot and the evf for everything that you might need to swap out batteries a lot more. I only use flash for the dancing usually.

Are you not using genuine batteries?

Last edited:
Wow really there is something wrong there I can do all day and usually have about 20% left.

Our shooting styles must be very different. When I first switched to Sony I used the evf pretty much all the time and used to have to switch batteries just before the speeches.

Now I don’t use the evf as much I can easily go all day without changing a battery.

I have noticed that the battery life depletes faster when using flash. I assume the connection between the camera and the flash must use a fair bit of power. I guess if you use flash a lot and the evf for everything that you might need to swap out batteries a lot more. I only use flash for the dancing usually.

Are you not using genuine batteries?

I’m shooting genuine batteries and I use EVF just as much. Unless when I’m shooting very low down or high up.

Back