Has anyone completed the Photography Institute online course?

Do you have a river or canal, do you have a visitors centre or a popular landmark, a photogenic pub or a park? Maybe some grafiti or skate park, some market stalls or narrow cobbles streets, maybe a nice church? Trails or footpaths that skirt the town etc?

Do you have a river or canal, do you have a visitors centre or a popular landmark, a photogenic pub or a park? Maybe some grafiti or skate park, some market stalls or narrow cobbles streets, maybe a nice church? Trails or footpaths that skirt the town etc?
Yep - I did a 'journay along a towpath' along a canal last month (on FB here) - together they make sense (covered about 12 miles of towpath) but its narrowing it down to a few. I've a canal towpath near me, forest, parks etc as I'm just on the edge of a city. Need to have a good think about this, choose my locations and get out and get shooting!

You have just answered your own question. Sounds to me like there is plenty to work with.

Sometimes its worth just stepping back and looking at things from other perspectives. Its forecast a lovely weekend so get out there Lyn and crack this module.

Easy peasy.

:)

Yep - I did a 'journay along a towpath' along a canal last month (on FB here) - together they make sense (covered about 12 miles of towpath) but its narrowing it down to a few. I've a canal towpath near me, forest, parks etc as I'm just on the edge of a city. Need to have a good think about this, choose my locations and get out and get shooting!

I'm assuming your from Newry or thereabouts ? If so there should be loads to work with. The tow path as you mentioned, there is indoor karting at greenbank industrial estate where you also have the football pitches. Newry being close to the border also draws huge numbers for shopping so you have 2 shopping centers to work with. Scenery such as the egyption arches and narrow water castle.
As I say I'm assuming its Newry but just a few ideas if they are of any help.

John.

This course sounds great, and very educational, and it's because it sounds so good, and because I'm quite tempted that I have to reiterate what others have asked: Does anyone get bad marks?

It seems not, which would make the qualification a bit pointless (notwithstanding the massive amount people seem to learn).

Or those that have failed / received bad marks are not on this forum or do not want to advertise they did badly when so many are commenting on how well they have done.

Yeah, there could be that.

I went on their website, contemplated signing up, took a test on the site, answered truthfully, "scored" 4 out of 10, and was advised it might not be for me and now I've just received an email from them:-

"You know, it’s quite normal for people to feel unsure at this moment, and to step back from enrolling.

So I wanted to remind you that:
1. Yes, this potentially is a big move. But,
2. By enrolling, you’re taking a vital first step to build a great new career for yourself.

Unless you enrol, you’re unlikely to savour the rewards of a high income, a job you adore, and the freedom to work the way you want."

It's a bit cheesy.

lartamax said:
Or those that have failed / received bad marks are not on this forum or do not want to advertise they did badly when so many are commenting on how well they have done.

Totally with you on this. I have received top marks so far in this course but I have worked dam hard to get those marks and not left anything to chance. Just because there is nobody mentioning it on here doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Also, don't think of it as a waste of time if you just keep getting top marks, I can assure you the things you will learn on this course are brilliant and so informative and in depth. Maybe, just maybe, the other people on this forum are like me and have worked extremely hard to get those marks and the inspiration and help this course has given us has meant that we deserve our top grades??? Just saying!

Hey Ian, I can understand why the first instinct from people on the course is to get defensive (even though I've mitigated my posts) - I can see from reading the thread that loads of people are learning a massive amount, and putting a lot of effort in.

I'm just wondering, whilst deliberating about taking the course myself, aboutthat aspect: the grades and the resultant regard in which the course is held.

This course sounds great (has taken me a few days to read this whole thread). Do you think it would be ok for me as a total beginner. Just bought my DSLR a couple of weeks ago and just getting my head round the controls/settings etc. I'm thinking this course will help me to focus while I'm learning or would it be more suitable for someone who is more experienced with a DSLR.
Also I only have the one kit lens (18-105), is that ok for this course also?
Also, do you have to shoot in manual mode or do you choose what you prefer?

Last edited:
I'm in a similar position to you Purple (only just bought a DSLR after a number of years with a Point & Shoot digital) but I have just registered.

I got the course pack on Friday but am now away for a few days. I've got my new DSLR with me (with only the kit lens) but it was too wet to take any photos today.

I checked with the Institute before registering and they said that a DSLR and tripod was enough to start. I'll be back home on Wednesday and will get started on module 1 after that.

Gavin.

Hi Gavin, I decided to order and was going to a couple of days ago then my modem packed in, I should be ordering in the next few days :). I'm thinking it will be ok for total beginners also, will just help us learn more quickly than we would have otherwise. Keep us posted on how youre getting on.

Last edited:
I did the course last year.

the only thing I needed to buy was 18% grey card

First post here, signed up here as i was researching the PI course and stumbled upon this page, So hello to all!

I've just payed up after doing some research on the PI course as anyone in their right mind would do.

I'm happy from what reviews i've read and have decided to take up the course after a couple days of contemplating.

Hopefully the wife doesn't find out :LOL:, i'll have to pay it weekly so she doesn't notice a large chunk of money has gone missing from my CC.

Looking forward to getting started might be difficult at first as my wife just delivered our first baby around 3 weeks ago, but the time is right to get started, even though i'll need to juggle around work and being a father.

Last edited:
How much is this course?

It was £413 for a 'scuffed course' using the link earlier in this thread. My course notes weren't scuffed at all so the 25% off for a scuffed set was well worth it.

I've just been through the first 2 modules and have written and submitted my first assignment. I'll start looking at the 3rd module in the morning.

Gav.

It was £413 for a 'scuffed course' using the link earlier in this thread. My course notes weren't scuffed at all so the 25% off for a scuffed set was well worth it.

I've just been through the first 2 modules and have written and submitted my first assignment. I'll start looking at the 3rd module in the morning.

Gav.

thanks for getting back to me.

I've just noticed they do an online version - have they just started doing this

Anyone used the online version?

The title of the thread is 'Has anyone completed the photography institute online course'

Somehow I don't think the online bit is new :p

D'oh

I see the difference between the two but is it really worth the extra £100 for the physical items?

Online access is available to everyone regardless of which method you signed up for. Personally I am at least 2thirds of the way finished and the course materials are lying unopened as I read all the material online.

John.

I have just completed module 2 and I must say I find the material is aimed to cover all levels. The Facebook forum is quite worthwhile but since I have came off Facebook I do actually miss having a look through some of the images there. The tutors seem to be excellent also. They are very helpful and understanding. I would highly recommend it for beginners and intermediates alike.

X100 said:
I have just completed module 2 and I must say I find the material is aimed to cover all levels. The Facebook forum is quite worthwhile but since I have came off Facebook I do actually miss having a look through some of the images there. The tutors seem to be excellent also. They are very helpful and understanding. I would highly recommend it for beginners and intermediates alike.

Do you have a link to the Facebook forum. I'm halfway through and haven't touched the course for ages. Need some motivation.

I've had 2 marks back now, an A and a B+. Module 4 isn't marked but I have a few photos to take this weekend to complete it, then onto module 5. Luckily I've just got a tripod which is now essential.

Garnett said:
Hey Ian, I can understand why the first instinct from people on the course is to get defensive (even though I've mitigated my posts) - I can see from reading the thread that loads of people are learning a massive amount, and putting a lot of effort in.

I'm just wondering, whilst deliberating about taking the course myself, aboutthat aspect: the grades and the resultant regard in which the course is held.

I have completed this course and am more than please I did.

I can confirm that during the first handful of assignments I know of one student who was graded c for an assignment and chose to resubmit it.

Just wondering, I finished my course a while ago and now I have a heap of course material I can no longer find space for. Of those who have finished the course, did you dispose of the course folders etc or will you keep hold of them?

The Comd-in-Chief is nagging me its all taking up space in the house.

Took the plunge and have enrolled on this :) received my course pack today And had a quick look through looking forward to getting started :)

I went for the "scuffed course" and can honestly say all my material looks brand new!! No signs of wear what so ever so very pleased with that.

Wish me luck haha!

shellz090 said:
Took the plunge and have enrolled on this :) received my course pack today And had a quick look through looking forward to getting started :)

I went for the "scuffed course" and can honestly say all my material looks brand new!! No signs of wear what so ever so very pleased with that.

Wish me luck haha!

I finished mine a good while ago now. You will get the doubters, you will get those who try to belittle the course but believe me, it's well worth doing and it's well worth the money. It paid for itself before I had finished the course. So knuckle down, get stuck in and get as much out of it as you can.

Good luck!

If anybody is interested I've put up for sale in the classified section some books that I bought for the course that were recommended. Sadly circumstances have prevented me from continuing with the course :crying: but good luck to all those on that journey.

There appears to be 2 of these courses I am just not sure which this refers to

Institute of professional photography course which i got an email offering the course at £299

but a link very early in the thread referred elsewhere

and what is the meaning of scuffed" courses ?

Thanks

I have no interest in being a pro I just want to learn how to take better photographs. I already have a job I intend to keep.

Scuffed courses are apparently course materials with some marks or damage, mine were unmarked so I assumed it was a way of offering the course for a reduced cost without calling it a sale.

I'm up to module 11 of the Institute of Professional Photography course and am enjoying it, I certainly seem to be taking better photos.

Gavin.

I just signed up for the photography institute course. I had a massive discount too so it's worth contacting them to find out if there are any deals on. One of the very first things I noticed about the course is that George explains he will teach all of the technical things you need to know but that the artistic flare will differ dependant upon the individual.

Personally I have been taking photos for years however I felt it was important to fill in any knowledge blanks to enable me to explore the limits more fully whilst ensuring there is a little less guess work and luck involved. I like to think this will help me gain an educated guess when taking a shot as opposed to simply sticking to what I already know or trying things purely on luck.

The course looks great so far and I was given instant access, contacted by my personal tutor almost immediately and told to expect specific advanced modules to become available before I finish the course. How cool is that

DBranded said:
I just signed up for the photography institute course. I had a massive discount too so it's worth contacting them to find out if there are any deals on. One of the very first things I noticed about the course is that George explains he will teach all of the technical things you need to know but that the artistic flare will differ dependant upon the individual.

Personally I have been taking photos for years however I felt it was important to fill in any knowledge blanks to enable me to explore the limits more fully whilst ensuring there is a little less guess work and luck involved. I like to think this will help me gain an educated guess when taking a shot as opposed to simply sticking to what I already know or trying things purely on luck.

The course looks great so far and I was given instant access, contacted by my personal tutor almost immediately and told to expect specific advanced modules to become available before I finish the course. How cool is that

When you say contact them do you mind me asking what you did to get an offer? I registered for the course brochure a few months back and showed an interest hoping I'd receive some kind of deal offer but I have so far received nothing. I have since signed up to PT4U and really enjoying that as a medium for learning but would still be interested in doing this at the right price.

Interesting thread. Done this course a few years ago and was sceptical at first, but as it goes it turned out to be spot on. I have done a national diploma and a higher national diploma in design, both of which I completed. These are still being paid off with around £10000 still left to pay. The inst course for the few hundred pounds it cost is a complete bargain IMO. The assignments are informative and varied with good feedback.

My only gripe is the DVD of the pro tog annoyed me a lot, couldn't stand the guy, really up his own a*#e. I watched about ten minutes of it and threw that in the bin.

I'd recommend the course though.

Right onto module 5, having a little trouble thinking of what to do, anybody whos completed this module what did you shoot? Want to try get it done this weekend :)

Back