Has anyone completed the Photography Institute online course?

Hi all:wave:, just ordered my course as well after reading this thread!! Been trying to teach myself the 'ins-and-outs' of photography for approx 2-3 months now never having used a camera before. I have always been interested and have now took the plunge. I have a Canon 60D and the course should be with me on Tuesday:geek:

I had a quick look at the very start of the course ( I dont want to look further on because I want to concentrate on each part at a time), was just wondering, for the very first exercise about 'picture yourself opening a portrait studio' is this just something you have to do for your own knowledge or does it have to be submitted? I haven't thought that far ahead yet ( about opening one) but was able to come up with a couple of pages full of what I think I would need to run a portrait studio, things I would need to take into consideration like location, facilities etc. Should I just keep these notes as part of my learning process or should I send them in?

Loving the thread, thanks guys/gals(y)

Hi Matt

You don't need to submit that one. There are many exercises like that and it's just for your own notes to start planning and thinking about what you'll need for the future etc. Hope that helps :)

Hi Matt

You don't need to submit that one. There are many exercises like that and it's just for your own notes to start planning and thinking about what you'll need for the future etc. Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the reply! Happy days then, I will keep these notes anyway and keep adding to them as I go along, I will take a look at the next step on Monday, nervous and excited lol.

Matt84 said:
Thanks for the reply! Happy days then, I will keep these notes anyway and keep adding to them as I go along, I will take a look at the next step on Monday, nervous and excited lol.

:) bet you can't wait to get stuck into it, I'm really enjoying it. I'm sure you will too!

:) bet you can't wait to get stuck into it, I'm really enjoying it. I'm sure you will too!

Did I read somewhere there is also a facebook page for the people who have purchased the course? If so, is there a link?

Matt84 said:
Did I read somewhere there is also a facebook page for the people who have purchased the course? If so, is there a link?

To be honest I have no idea about that so maybe someone else would know? I know there is a group on Flickr but its not very active.

To be honest I have no idea about that so maybe someone else would know? I know there is a group on Flickr but its not very active.

I can't remember where I read it, I will have a look on this. How far you on in your course? Just had a brief look at the first assignment which I will start tomorrow. I take it I just have to be myself and be honest about where I would like to go with photography.

Feedback from module 26 today and I have now oficially completed my diploma. Time to celebrate I think.

Well done on completing the course, I'm up to the wedding photography module which is probably the one I'm least looking forward to. Staging a wedding isn't really my thing!

I was lucky there i had managed to get a day 2nd shooter at a real wedding so went well. I think as long as yo vary the shots eg close up ring shot some indoor and some outdoor you will be fine

Does anybody know how to access the course details online? Can't seem to find where you would log in etc. all my materials are at home and I'm away for the weekend.

Got my assignment 2 back the other day, graded A, happy days. Haven't a clue what to do for the next one 'activity portraits'. Was thinking of involving a guy I know who has a motorbike, was meant to take pic's of him today but its been very icy lately and had to cancel. Back to square one again :shrug:

Matt84 said:
Got my assignment 2 back the other day, graded A, happy days. Haven't a clue what to do for the next one 'activity portraits'. Was thinking of involving a guy I know who has a motorbike, was meant to take pic's of him today but its been very icy lately and had to cancel. Back to square one again :shrug:

Well done Matt. Who is your tutor?
Forgot to reply to your last post. I'm on assignment 20 now. :)

Well done Matt. Who is your tutor?
Forgot to reply to your last post. I'm on assignment 20 now. :)

Hi, my tutor is Jeremy Webb, nice guy and very witty. I just can't think of hobbies to choose for the 3rd one lol :bang:

Has anyone got a link for a scuffed deal ? Also has anybody been able to buy PhotoShop at student rates from signing up to this course ? I'm looking to treat myself for Christmas .

Matt84 said:
Hi, my tutor is Jeremy Webb, nice guy and very witty. I just can't think of hobbies to choose for the 3rd one lol :bang:

Good luck with the course. I just finished mine a few weeks back. Also had Jeremy Webb, great guy

I considered Photoshop but have actually got into using GIMP since starting the course, it does all I need at the moment.

Did anyone that got the "scuffed" course find any wear or tear at all with their stuff?

I am quite sure mine hasn't been even been flicked through

I had a "scuffed" course from INST, and it was as perfect as brand new, but it wasn't the photograhy course. It was Interior Design course.

It depends on how well looked after they have returnedto the INST

2 nice shots. Well done

Thanks!! Im gonna add a close up of her cups/medals and one other photo and send them in. Been on this assignment about 3 weeks but i was mostly trying to get my mate out with his motorbike, but the roads have been slippy/greasy, and sunday is the only day i can get out because of work, but hopefully the one's of my niece will be good enough.

Well I have been watching this thread for a while with interest. Having looked at some of the students reviews and cross checking there authenticity I have decided to use my Xmas money to enrol. Opted for the "scuffed deal". Looking forward to getting started.

Steve

Well I have been watching this thread for a while with interest. Having looked at some of the students reviews and cross checking there authenticity I have decided to use my Xmas money to enrol. Opted for the "scuffed deal". Looking forward to getting started.

Steve

Where did you get the link for the scuffed deal ? I too was going to treat myself for Christmas .

Register Online - Diploma in Professional Photography - Scuffed ...
www.inst.org/checkout/index.php?course=113
Diploma in Professional Photography - Scuffed Courses Sale. The Institute. Back. Register on the course. Diploma in Professional Photography - Scuffed ...

Re

If you decide to enrol, maybe bounce ideas of each other.

Regards
steve

Sounds good , I now just need to pick a good time to mention it to my better half lol .

BigJohn said:
Sounds good , I now just need to pick a good time to mention it to my better half lol .

No what you mean, caught my wife as she came in from her works afternoon out. Lol

Well, coursework package dispatched yesterday tea time, Fed Ex delivered 08:00 this morning. First appearance of the "scuffed" course, is 100% perfect so maybe a marketing ploy. Contents of the package look well put together and better than some college stuff I have done for my job, so very happy.

Looking forward to getting stuck in, and to see an improvement in the quality of work I produce in a structured way. The tutor I have been assigned is Jeremy Webb. Looked him up on google, and is a professional photographer, teacher and author of photography books, so looks good.

Steve

Forgive me if I missed it on their (inst.org) website, is there a list of the modules that will need to be completed? Just wondering if there are any in there that I will struggle with before I commit the money.
I had looked at the OCA course but its just too expensive for me. This is looking very tempting and I have girlfriend approval too to go for the deal with the bonus half price Advanced Diploma course :) However the Advanced Diploma is the only one I can find a module listing for... sorry again if I missed it and its obvious!

Forgive me if I missed it on their (inst.org) website, is there a list of the modules that will need to be completed? Just wondering if there are any in there that I will struggle with before I commit the money.
I had looked at the OCA course but its just too expensive for me. This is looking very tempting and I have girlfriend approval too to go for the deal with the bonus half price Advanced Diploma course :) However the Advanced Diploma is the only one I can find a module listing for... sorry again if I missed it and its obvious!

will check the schedule and post in the morning.

Not to worry, found it last night when having a good read over the site - http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/syllabus.htm

Has anyone done the Wedding modules yet (all THREE of them?!), is there a requirement to attent an actual wedding? I only ask as this is one aspect of photography I have no interest in at all and the idea is quite daunting!

Cheers,

Last edited:
From what I gather, you do not have to actually attend a wedding, you can stage manage such an event with a few friends. The bride does not have to be in a wedding dress.
I am attending a friends wedding later in the year and will use that.

Steve

From what I gather, you do not have to actually attend a wedding, you can stage manage such an event with a few friends. The bride does not have to be in a wedding dress.
I am attending a friends wedding later in the year and will use that.

Steve

Excellent, I also read someone elses post a few pages back that was helpful too. Girlfriend is a maid of honor at her friends wedding later this year so I'm going to ask them if they could spare a few minutes for a some of the photos ... will work out what I'll need and ideas once the pack arrives in the post with the info in it.

Well I've enrolled if you hadnt guessed! Lets see how it goes...

First assigment emailed. Jeremy Webb is my tutor.
Pack arrived today, will post some pics tomrrow of whats inside, as with previous posts its looks almost perfect. Theres plenty to read this week, theres a book - Photos That Seel, Lee Frost in the blue folder with a reference sheet to some of the moduels which is handy too.

N6rRh.jpg

5bJij.jpg

Last edited:
Back