Has anyone completed the Photography Institute online course?

How are you sending off your work? Electronically or snail mail?

The reason I ask is that once you start sending pics over the airwaves, I often find that I have to send a downloadable link as the pics are too large. What is the pic resolution / size you need to send if emailing?

Just wondering about all of this as I live in Spain and sending stuff with stamps can be a little hit and miss sometimes.

Just received my first assignment back (Module 2) very pleased with the turn around time and with the tutors comments, she totally understood where I was coming from and where I intend to go with my photography.

I also received a reminder from the Institute that I should be thinking of submitting my first assignment at the same time so its comforting to know they will give me a prod if I don't pull my finger out.

The support so far has been quite impressive which seems to motivate me to do well and crack on. I now have to find a suitable subject to photograph for my next Module, as Bill described previously, a shoot of around 50 images of someone at work or doing a hobby that I have to select 4 of and explain why I chose them.

Never shot this subject before but I quite fancy going up to Poolsbrook lakes early Sat morning to catch some defenceless fisherman. Can I make interesting images from a bloke having a couple of hours fishing?

How are you sending off your work? Electronically or snail mail?

The reason I ask is that once you start sending pics over the airwaves, I often find that I have to send a downloadable link as the pics are too large. What is the pic resolution / size you need to send if emailing?

Just wondering about all of this as I live in Spain and sending stuff with stamps can be a little hit and miss sometimes.

I am sending mine by email.

My tutor has asked me to keep my emails under 1MB, but sending separate emails for a single assignment is fine.

What resolution do they want the pictures at?

This is what she instructed regarding images:

"Keeping image file sizes under 1MB each is really helpful and tends to arrive more smoothly. Ideal size is between 300kb and 700kb. Smaller than this tends to come through without sufficient detail."

I'm thinking of taking pics of my son playing his guitar or dragging myself up a hill to get some mountain biking shots, at least the guitar would stay relatively still!

I'm thinking of taking pics of my son playing his guitar or dragging myself up a hill to get some mountain biking shots, at least the guitar would stay relatively still!

How did you get on this weekend, Bill, did you manage to get some images?

I ended up walking onto the local golf course and grabbing a few shots. I will write it all up tomorrow and get it sent off.

Here's another subscription to this thread. I've looked at doing this course several times, then bottled it!

I have just started a 12 week evening class at my local college, so this thread will make interesting reading as to wether I should enrol on this course once I have completed my evening class.

Good luck guys and keep the updates coming (y)

I asked for info on this course, they emailed straight back. Never got round to looking at it properly but kept getting emails with discounts if I sign up, last one I got was for £200 off the cost, great saving if you want to do it.(y)

sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but i was wondering:

- if this diploma was on my c.v and i applied for jobs, would an employer take it seriously?
- is this affiliated to the BIPP?

i have suscribed to this thread, very interesting. im also thinking of signing up.

thanks

Last edited:
Its hard to say what an employer would do. Successful completion does result in a recognised qualification whether an employer takes it seriously is down to the individual. Some employers don't take degree courses seriously.

Its not affiliated with BIPP (at least I dont think it is)

Go to the itunes store and search for "ProPhoto" to download the app. It offers some useful stuff.

Had an email this morning from the Institute telling me I can now submit my photo assignments using flickr which is really, really useful, well for me anyway.

Mark, great thanks, really appreciate you sharing this info with us all.

Its hard to say what an employer would do. Successful completion does result in a recognised qualification whether an employer takes it seriously is down to the individual. Some employers don't take degree courses seriously.

i suppose the course is designed / aimed at people wanting to work self employed or start their own business.

thanks for the app, ive downloaded it.

How did you get on this weekend, Bill, did you manage to get some images?

I ended up walking onto the local golf course and grabbing a few shots. I will write it all up tomorrow and get it sent off.

Never managed to get out this weekend Ill try and wait for a bright day and drag my mate up the hills with his mountain bike.
Good luck with yours.

I am moving on to Module 4 now which is basically aimed at making folk switch to manual settings.

I read the module last night and decided to have a bit of an experiment with the sunrise this morning. I have always shot in Aperture mode thinking this suited me better. What a revelation!! I have shot in Manual before and ended up with some stinkers but I was pretty impressed with this mornings efforts.

This Module 4 is a good one, no assignments to send in but there are a few exercises I have to do.

So far (only 4 modules in I know) I am finding it really interesting and I am learning lots. One thing they do stress is quality lenses. The lens is more important than the camera body... So if you have a decent body, dont upgrade it, spend the money on a good quality lens instead.

Im off to shoot module 3 tonight, I'm going to the sister in laws to get pics of her grooming her showdogs.
I had a look at module 4 yesterday, some quite good tips.
I'm off out with the local canera club at the wekend so I think I will try and take everything in manual to see if its sunk in!

Has anyone completed this?

Did they achieve the money predicted or get their money back from the course?

Good luck with it Fullfast, if you have any probs give me a shout.

Thanks for that.....appreciated.....it is a bit daunting as I havent completed any sort of study ....apart from work exams....for approx 20 years......really looking forward to starting it and not coming home and getting bored......

it is a bit daunting as I havent completed any sort of study ....apart from work exams....for approx 20 years......really looking forward to starting it and not coming home and getting bored......

A bit like me..

The course will have its knockers (ooooo matron!) and I can only speak from the experience I have had so far. What has impressed me is the support the Institute offers. They email me often offering advice about the course and ways to approach it.

I feel I am learning a lot, having modules to do is making me think more about the pictures I take, about composition, about settings and about myself and how I approach subjects.

I wouldn't say its a difficult course but it is one that makes you use the old grey matter a bit more. I now look forward very much to the weekends so I can get the camera out and crack on with the exercises the course sets.

Good luck to you

A bit like me..

..... I now look forward very much to the weekends so I can get the camera out and crack on with the exercises the course sets....

Good luck to you

Thanks

That is exactly what I am looking for.....we are already planning visits to different places for 2011.......

Good luck.....

Thanks for that.....appreciated.....it is a bit daunting as I havent completed any sort of study ....apart from work exams....for approx 20 years......really looking forward to starting it and not coming home and getting bored......

Ive done nothing for years and thought long and hard before doing the course. I must admit I am enjoying it and find being given assignements really makes you think about what photos you are taking.

let us know how your getting on.

if i was paying that much id at least expect a copy of PS "elements" to be included,Gimp is ok but very basic.

My hubby uses gimp as likes to support open source software, maybe its an advantage that its so simple and basic as learning any new software can be mind boggling :)

This course has certainly caught my attention too, thanks for sharing, think I might sign up too. :cool:

Just got Module 3 back from my tutor, only got a B+ so I may revisit this module in the future.

The points brought up and which stopped me getting an A were very valid, now when I look at the sequence of photos I submitted I can see exactly where the tutor is coming from.

Onwards and upwards as they say!

Hi guys i reckon theres a few of us very interested in this course and like me are very uncertain and maybe skeptical any chance of maybe a few pages from 1 of the modules scanned for us to have a look at and maybe get a feel of what the course is like

Hi guys i reckon theres a few of us very interested in this course and like me are very uncertain and maybe skeptical any chance of maybe a few pages from 1 of the modules scanned for us to have a look at and maybe get a feel of what the course is like
I would imagine thats a big no-no so I will have to decline I'm afraid.

However, they do provide an exert from one of the modules on the website that you can have a look at:

http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/Extract.pdf

I can confirm that its part of the course.

Got a B for my first module, good pointers from my tutor, done all the exercises from module 4 and 5, cracking up as to what to photograph for module 5!

Well done matey.

I am just about to start Module 5 and like you, I am racking my brains. Good luck!

Cheers, I really havent got clue on what to shoot, dont think the assignement is very well worded either. I need to get it done this week as Im off on holidays soon and would like to start the next one before I go.

Sounds like you are all enjoying this course... :)

Stick with it and good luck... I might give this a bash just before xmas (i'll have a bit more time on my hands) and thx for the information.

Cheers, I really havent got clue on what to shoot, dont think the assignement is very well worded either. I need to get it done this week as Im off on holidays soon and would like to start the next one before I go.

Its a tough one I think but if it was all easy we wouldn't learn anything. I think this time of year, this assignment may take a while, I am thinking about using my well trained dog as a subject.

All we need is some decent weather! If you dont manage it before your holiday, you can always crack on when you get back. Have a good holiday!

I've just had a quick read of this thread and looked at the extract, im also interested.

You guys on the course have done a nice job so far of explaining the first few modules, but do you have access to the full 27 module list? I would like to see all that the course covers

Also, is it a requirement to use GIMP for the work? i.e. is there a 'editing in GIMP' module?

Thanks, Rich

I've just had a quick read of this thread and looked at the extract, im also interested.

You guys on the course have done a nice job so far of explaining the first few modules, but do you have access to the full 27 module list? I would like to see all that the course covers

Also, is it a requirement to use GIMP for the work? i.e. is there a 'editing in GIMP' module?

Thanks, Rich
The Course Content can be read here:

http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/syllabus.htm

I dont think GIMP is a requirement, its just recommended. I intend using my Photoshop.

for the people saying they've signed up to 'this' course.. are you talking about the course the OP mentioned, or the subsequent course that Ryan posted a link to (the Institute of Professional Photography one)?

Back