Has anyone lost a lens?

Name
Spencer
Edit My Images
Yes
It's a bit odd. I've been using the 50 extensively recently, and for some reason took it off, and now I can't find it!! Been through all the bags, office, no sight.

Anyone else ever lost a lens (or other important piece of kit)?

I once lost the 'wadda-ya-call-it' from the top of my tripod. I was going out for a full day's shooting and needed the tripod but couldn't find the fixing plate. I looked for it everywhere for a full hour but couldn't find it.

I ended up finding it within 2 minutes of getting home in a place I'm sure I'd looked before I went out.

End of a bookcase is where i keep putting mine. And forgetting :)

All over the place is where I put mine. And forgetting. :D

And having a two and a half year old at home doesn't help! At least it makes me think before leaving things lying around now.

Lens caps, used to loose them all the time, now it's back pocket everytime, unless I'm nude, then I tend not to take photos :)

It wouldn't matter anyway! The camera SHOULD be pointing away from you! Unless.............................No, not going there!! :LOL:

Lost a spare battery once on the Dane Valley Way. Searched EVERYWHERE including my mates pockets. When I got home it fell out of my jacket hood!! Before you ask......No idea!!

Miss placed for months on end but no losses yet(lens caps, tripod QR plate)

I lost the keys for my car once. Searched everywhere, and found them months later inside the lining of the jacket I'd been wearing - slipped through a small hole in a pocket that I hadn't noticed.

Yes and scarily it's the same, the 50mm F1.8. I wanted to do some macro the other night, found the bellows and extension rings but no lens.

I had a few beers instead so not a complete loss.

I went on a walk two weeks ago to take a specific shot of the sunset over a reservoir. I walked for 30 mins and then began to set up. My tripod which i thought was attached to my bag was gone. I was pretty sure i had put it on there so i re traced my steps and was lucky enough to find it on a grass bank (phew)

Just be meticulous, but smooth. Everything in your bag should have a place, it comes from there, and goes back there as soon as is feasibly possible... once you're used to the system it becomes second nature and stuff just...doesn't go missing...and if it does then you know that you've got a problem right away, rather than 'oh its probably just in the bottom of the bag'.

Some kits in industry etc will be in a flight case with the normal foam cutouts, and a red sheet below all the items, so you can very quickly see at a glance, if there's any red, there's something missing.

Lens caps are a bad offender...I don't use them, hoods don't take up much room to have out in my bag and make for quicker access, but the best thing to do is just ALWAYS put them in one pocket... left back pocket or similar is usually free, means that again, it's always either on the lens or there.

and there's nothing you can do to stop stofens constantly going missing, I buy them like, 5 at a time... >_>

i tend to loose my fags quite often and panic like mad which makes me need one even more and that dont help.lol :bang:

I lost the keys for my car once.

a GF once phoned in a panic - she'd loaded the car - lost the keys - couldn't go anywhere for help as the car was unlocked

hours later I said "bugger it" we'll leave it in the supermarket carpark - closed the hatchback and ............

well she was only 4'10" and couldn't see that high ! :annoyed:

a GF once phoned in a panic - she'd loaded the car - lost the keys - couldn't go anywhere for help as the car was unlocked

hours later I said "bugger it" we'll leave it in the supermarket carpark - closed the hatchback and ............

well she was only 4'10" and couldn't see that high ! :annoyed:

hahahaha thank god for central locking.lol

lost my original canon 450D battery yesterday , i am now in Centerparcs and i ve already charged my 3ed party battery twice ,,.. i can only blame the wife :D

Just be meticulous, but smooth. Everything in your bag should have a place, it comes from there, and goes back there as soon as is feasibly possible... once you're used to the system it becomes second nature and stuff just...doesn't go missing...and if it does then you know that you've got a problem right away, rather than 'oh its probably just in the bottom of the bag'.

Which is fine if all your kit fits in one bag I suppose! :D

It'll be around here somewhere - I just moved the photo room from downstairs to a spare bedroom upstairs so I'm guessing it's in there somewhere.

not lost a lens but I have lost lenshoods a couple of times (a while ago) - not any more though - they get gaffer taped on! :)

i put my husbands car keys down when i was about 7 months pregnant..the spare set were in the car (don't ask we why).. we found them the day i bought the baby home. they were under the cot matress..don't ask me how they got here

I lost the lens cap off my 300mm f/4 AF-S once. I had it in my pocket, then I slipped in a river (I was drenched, but my upstretched arm saved the camera & lens, and it was bloody freezing). I threw on an scratched up old UV filter (it's ALWAYS a good idea to save old crappy filters) while I waited for a new one to arrive in the mail (£2 online vs £15 or something stupid at the local Jessops).

I lost a Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro once. All I know is, it's somewhere within the continents of either North America or Europe. ;)

you think a £15 filter is going to save your lens? I suspect it will ruin every shot you take! :)

I lost my sanity a few years ago.Somewhere in West Africa I think.

Royal Mail may have lost the lens I bought on Saturday... :(

It was sent yesterday using their Special Delivery 1pm service. Type in the tracking number and it just says "Your item is currently progressing through our network for delivery. To check your item's progress please come back later."

Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow - along with a refund on postage!

Think I may have lost an old prime lens a few months back, but not sure that I didn't sell it somewhere and forgotten about it. :thinking: I've definitely lost my wife before though. But she came back both times... :shrug:

Actually, true story...

I got into fishing when I was young and tried to fish for Pike - god knows why as I would not know how to deal with it if I had actually caught one!

Anyway, had one of those brightly coloured lures that have several hooks on and it cost a bomb at the time. It got caught in weed and snapped the line.

About two weeks later I was fishing the same spot and low and behold, I saw the lure bobbing about in the water near where I was and recovered it.

No-one believed me. But it really is true in case you were with me at the time.

Graham

you think a £15 filter is going to save your lens? I suspect it will ruin every shot you take! :)
Well, it was a £70 B&W, but yeah, it's going to stop the glass at the end of my lens getting scratched up in my bag, yeah :)

I was basically using it as a temporary replacement lens cap until the new one arrived. So as for it ruining my shots... do you shoot photos with your lens cap on? ;)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
use the lens hood for that!

It doesn't fit in the bag with the lens hood extended.

Yes, it was very strange at the time......

I had recently bought my 50mm 1.4, was literally a week old. Took it along in my mini trekker to a popular spot for sunset. There was another tog around at the time. looking back i commited the crime of leaving my bag unattended for a few minutes whilst i chased the best composition with my tripod. Didn't clock it at the time but the other guy had packed up and gone. Wasn't till i got back that i realised the new lens had disappeared.

I searched everywhere. There really couldn't have been any other explanation other than the other guy had light fingers. You can bet i won't ever leave my bag unattended these days, harsh lesson learnt the hard way.

I ended up claiming the lens on the house insurance and had a new one within weeks.

Never lost any kit apart from the little bit of plastic that covers the hotshoe.

Re lenses and kit. I have a checklist printed on easch shoot detailing kit taken and all gets checked off before I leave at the end of the day.

I use the photo shoot addin from Microsoft for outlook. All my kit is listed in the pool and I can enter the kit required for a specific shoot from the pool.

It's useful as well as part of the pool description allows you to enter date bought serial numbers etc. in case anything should ever go missing.

I keep losing my glasses take them off and then run around whole house looking for them, they always turn up until one day when i end up sitting on them or something.

Back