Has anyone used the lightspere

Edit My Images
No
Hi - looking for advise - I'm contemplating purchasing a Gary fong light sphere has anyone used it ? Is its real life application as good as the one advised in there promotional videos

S.

Which version do you have collecting dust? I wouldn't mind giving it a try for home use.

you used to be able to get asian knock offs on ebay for a fraction of the cost a fong sphere

I use the knock offs.
9/10 time i use a stoffen or bounce card, but I do like the light sphere. Particularly if outdoors or in somewhere that doesn't have a white ceiling.

I've got one but it doesn't get used much. It has it's uses but like already stated, you look like a pleb. It's definitely better than bouncing bare flash directly off ceilings/walls as it sends diffused light forward but it is quite big. One thing I don't get about it is your supposed to use the cover dome in small rooms but not in high ceilings. I thought it would be the other way around.

One thing I don't get about it is your supposed to use the cover dome in small rooms but not in high ceilings. I thought it would be the other way around.

I guess the cover cuts some light? In a low ceilinged room the flash bouncing off it will be greater than a tall room while in both cases the light being dispersed (not diffused) in other directions will be the same.

That said, I can't think of a use case for something like this unless you think your flash batteries last too long :bonk: Its not *completely* useless but the type of person who understands lighting well enough to identify when it is useful isn't the type of person they advertise to

Am I missing something here or are all the previous posts the worse responses to an appeal for advice I'm likely to see on a forum?

Dave

I have the collapsible version and do use it a fair bit.

Did a 40th Birthday Party on Saturday night and it came into it's own with some more formal shots against a light background.

When shooting portrait, my flash with a bounce card was making some horrendous shadows and there wasn't really may other options in terms of bouncing but they were pretty much non-existent with the lightsphere.

It's by no means the be all and end all in flash diffusers but can be very useful in certain conditions.

Last edited:
I've got one, and to be honest I'm not enamoured with it. It does give the nice soft "wraparound" light it advertises in the right environment, but as it's chucking light out sideways as well, it can pick up uneven colour castes.

Better than a Stofen Omnibounce, but not as good as a big bounce card made from a sheet of A4 and and elastic band.

It blinds people stood next to you and behind you too. I keep meaning to line the rear half with foil or something white to see if that improves it.

I posted the following as a thread in the lighting section but seeing as there's a similar thread here I thought I'd just copy and paste it and hopefully get some good feedback:

I have a cheap version of the lightsphere and quite frankly think it's rubbish, so I'm looking at alternatives.

So far I've come across:

Lumiquest Quick Bounce - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001X4BAB0

and

Lumiquest Softbox III - http://www.lumiquest.com/store/produ...ftBox-III.html

I like the look of both and i'm considering buying them... the quick bounce mainly for during wedding receptions where bounce isn't possible (held off camera in my left hand via TTL cable), and the softbox for OCF as it shouldn't blow over easily like a brolly.

Has anyone used either of these before and what were your experiences?

Also has anyone used other modifiers I haven't considered and were they good or bad?

Am I missing something here or are all the previous posts the worse responses to an appeal for advice I'm likely to see on a forum?

Dave

Your post was most helpful, indeed.

After looking up light spheres more in detail, which is what OP could have done ... they do look daft, as do most flash add-ons out there. Anyone seen the wing light? looks like 2 sanitary towels glued to side of your flash!

http://winglightstore.com/features.php

I posted the following as a thread in the lighting section but seeing as there's a similar thread here I thought I'd just copy and paste it and hopefully get some good feedback:

<snip>

Then I'll post the same reply here - Lumiquest Quik Bounce is the single best flash accessory out there.

All these bounce and bounce-fill devices, like the Fong, Stofen, bounce card or whatever, all work in a similar way and what many people don't realise is the result you get is almsot entirely dependent on the surroundings - that's what makes the difference. When you're bouncing and throwing diffused light around, it's the ceiling and walls that become your new and primary light sources.

Then I'll post the same reply here - Lumiquest Quik Bounce is the single best flash accessory out there.

All these bounce and bounce-fill devices, like the Fong, Stofen, bounce card or whatever, all work in a similar way and what many people don't realise is the result you get is almsot entirely dependent on the surroundings - that's what makes the difference. When you're bouncing and throwing diffused light around, it's the ceiling and walls that become your new and primary light sources.

Not outside. ;) although I guess outside bare flash and FEC can be used.

Not outside. ;) although I guess outside bare flash and FEC can be used.

One of the reasons I like the LQ Quik Bounce is because it works well outdoors. Close the flaps and it's no longer a bounce device, but an efficient direct flash attachment with a much greater surface area than bare flash so usefully softer light.

I knew you'd come up with a logical reply. Cheers Richard (y)

I use the collapsible light sphere & think it's great but in certain circumstances - 50th birthday party in a local sports club, fantastic but outdoors for fill in its no use whatsoever

I've got one, and to be honest I'm not enamoured with it. It does give the nice soft "wraparound" light it advertises in the right environment, but as it's chucking light out sideways as well, it can pick up uneven colour castes.

Better than a Stofen Omnibounce, but not as good as a big bounce card made from a sheet of A4 and and elastic band.

It blinds people stood next to you and behind you too. I keep meaning to line the rear half with foil or something white to see if that improves it.

They sell an optional reflector that does that job..... at a cost (y)

Last edited:
I have one but don't use it much. It does give nice soft light but is cumbersome, and tends to fall off the flash evry now and then.

I have a knockoff and it is brilliant! Can't rate it enough at smoothing out the light. Recommended!

I did try one some time back, it was okay and do a decent job but the down side is the size.

To be honest, I also made one out of a small plastic milk carton and some velcro attachments and the test results were almost indistinguishable; but of course no one wants to walk around with a milk carton on their flash gun! :LOL:

Guys I bought the Gary fong version - I will
Keep all posted on developments.

It's a mind field of available bits and it's certainly not a cheap game

Back