Has every photograph already been taken?

Name
Suz
Edit My Images
Yes
With so many people with cameras is there anything unique in photography any more? Has every image that can be taken already been done?

Is there anywhere in the UK that hasn't been photographed to death already? As much as I love looking at the lake district or wherever else photogenic there are a lot of the same images floating around. The same tree with the same lake behind it. Same hills, same paths, same leading in lines. Endless pictures of the same subject all looking fairly identical. Every moment was unique to them when they took it but to us it's the same as many others.

If I knew how to do it differently I wouldn't be moaning on :D

Friend of mine was saying similar but is it just this time of year when the weather is dark and pants and everywhere looks miserable?

Is it just me that's being a misery guts thinking this?

Yes I think it's just you being a misery guts :LOL:

Even with the same locations, etc., some people will always find new ways of photographying them, or unique things to do in post processing.

Not only that, but there's always changes to the landscape, be it new buildings, roads, etc.

Then there's people, always enough of them about and there's loads of variety.

There's animals, insects, birds, you get the idea.

So cheer up, look at this time of the year as an ideal time to seek out something new. (y)

You have to have an eye and look at things differently, not just the scene, but the light and also the effect the weather has.

How many people go to Center Parcs every week, let alone every year? How many have been to the one in the lake district since it opened? yet how many have taken this photo:

One, me!

Just because thousands and thousands of people visit every week, with cameras looking for a photo, does not mean they see what another person would. This shot is taken 3yards from the footpath, and I had to crop a footbridge out of it, that's how close people are to this scene.

So no, every photo has not been taken, stick around on here and you'll learn how to take the different photo.

This morning I spent a couple of hours on a small stretch of river just over the scottish border. It's frequently used by fisherman but with it being such an unexplored location I felt every photograph I was taking was fresh and new- and I really enjoyed that.

So no, every photograph hasn't been taken - although if a decent photograph is within a few hundred yards of a road/car parking it has definitely been done to death.

Last edited:
Sidcup is a little far to travel....

Wonder if I can attach extension tubes to a normal macro lens and get extreme close ups? Used to use them with a normal 50mm to get a macro effect.

When you read Joe Cornish's take on landscapes no, the light can be so different, the sun is never in the same position and there are the different seasons like the major one we are going through now.
Cloud formation in a landscape can NEVER be replicated exactly as it was once seen, this intrigues me greatly wherever i go, i always look out for an unusual sky, if i can find any composition that is...:LOL:

You have to have an eye and look at things differently, not just the scene, but the light and also the effect the weather has.

How many people go to Center Parcs every week, let alone every year? How many have been to the one in the lake district since it opened? yet how many have taken this photo:

One, me!

Just because thousands and thousands of people visit every week, with cameras looking for a photo, does not mean they see what another person would. This shot is taken 3yards from the footpath, and I had to crop a footbridge out of it, that's how close people are to this scene.

So no, every photo has not been taken, stick around on here and you'll learn how to take the different photo.

Ohhh thats lovely mate.

If every picture had been taken there would always be the oppportunity to take them all again but with a different slant on things i guess....don't think we'll ever run out of opportunities to get a picture somehow so it's probably just you :)

Of course not every photograph is unique. There may be 30 photographers taking a photograph at an event, they may all have different reasons for taking that photograph.

An example of what I mean is I went with my wife and daughter to one of the Race for Life events this year, my main focus was to try and photograph them together, as it is likely to be the last year they will do it together. I am sure most of the others taking photographs there where ding it for the same reason. There was a couple of "press" photographers there who were taking photo's for entirely different reasons.

I am sure that with so many of us taking photographs at the same time we are likely to have the "same shot" but a) I am unlikely to see most of the other photographs b) even if I did my reason for that photograph would be entirely different to everyone else's.

Last edited:
no ones taken a photo of my bum yet, so the answer to your question is no :)

:LOL:sounds like an idea for a thread here. A poll for the best tp bun.

Probably ever technique and angle has been tried, but I always say to myself, it's been done before, but not by me.

Probably ever technique and angle has been tried, but I always say to myself, it's been done before, but not by me.

Lots of good points in this thread but i like this one most. Just because someone epse took a similar picture, i am not going to avoid taking a similar photo. I would like to capture certain set of scenes (even if they are cliche and has been done to death).

In fact if i take a photo and then later find out that a pro photographer already has a similar photo, i feel proud and confident.

One, me!

Beautiful shot :)

Back