Has your photography changed?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Like most amateur/hobbyist/enthusiast/non-professional (or whatever label you wish to apply) users of cameras I started out trying to make good individual pictures. I assume this was because it's the way we tend to get presented with good photographs - they're the ones which win prizes, become iconic (in the non-populist sense of the word), and generally inspire you to make photographs.

Over the last three or four years I've become much more interested in making pictures which work together - as pairs, triptychs, and larger sets which may or may not incorporate pairs etc. These sets of pictures might be vaguely typological series, collections on a theme - put together in a Blurb book, as a set of postcards, or a web gallery. Increasingly I'm drawn to making slideshows - with or without sound. I suppose this has come about because I like looking at photobooks and documentary/journalistic photography where serial photographs are prevalent. I prefer books on a theme to retrospective collections, for example.

In some ways this might be seen as a cop-out. There's no need to make every photo great because a trifling photo juxtaposed against another can make them both stronger. Then again editing sets of pictures and sequencing them isn't simple. Either way I find it a more interesting approach than looking for one-shot-wonders. My approach to composition has changed too, but that's another story.

In the words of Mark E Smith; "Are you still doing what you were doing two years ago? Yeah? Well, don't make a career out of it!"

Yes, but that's probably because of the degree course I'm following. Certain assignments of mine, or even a lot of the course content follows a theme, tells a story or is linked. When I started I was trying to make nice images, but not thinking about the whole set.

Working on a project is definitely the best way to sharpen your creativity. It stops you just making pretty pictures, and starts the creative process off where you NEED to consider narrative, context and the fact that your images have to communicate something on a theme.

It's not a cop out. Editing and curating a set of images is a skill, and done badly, the body of work will suffer. Any degree course should be steering you away from just making individual images (with the exception of portraits perhaps) as they make you critically examine the subject, and that's what makes good photography... not apertures and f-stops. You should be taking apertures and f-stops for granted.... it should be unconscious. It's all about the themes and the subject... that's what makes people want to keep turning the pages. The images have to be good of course... usually. There's the odd exception like "Ray's a Laugh" by Richard Billingham where the photography is completely incidental, but usually it's a given that the photography is good. You EXPECT that... so that alone is not gonna cut it.

I advise people that 50% of their folio should change every 6 months. If it doesn't, people will stop being curious abut you.

Has my photography changed? Massively.. many times.. yes :)

I agree with Pookeyhead, although from the perspective of being the photographer, not the critic. I suspect that I don't produce that many really top shots but that my strength comes from taking some subject matter and examining it photographically from all directions. In that way you end up with a more rounded picture (as it were). if you keep on taking pictures their general standard should improve over time as well, anyway.

Actually, by raising this point you have shown that you already have an excellent perspective on photography and its uses.

Last edited:
I actually found some photos the other day that I shot about 20 years ago when I was just starting out with 35mm. I honestly have no idea why I shot most of them, they are terrible, but I can definitely see in them that I was struggling to be "arty", I shall definitely be keeping them for nostalgia value!

I actually found some photos the other day that I shot about 20 years ago when I was just starting out with 35mm. I honestly have no idea why I shot most of them, they are terrible, but I can definitely see in them that I was struggling to be "arty", I shall definitely be keeping them for nostalgia value!

God yes!

Even some of the photographs I exhibited 25 years ago just look awful now! But one thing I did learn was that in an exhibition the photographs should have a theme, that they should work together as a group. An exceptional image that doesn't fit still doesn't fit.

Once the exhibition is over, one moves on to something new. Another subject, another location.

Well.. I can't guarantee this was the actual first image I ever took, but it was definitely from the first 5 rolls or so that I shot in my first SLR (Pentax MV) camera after my Dad gave it to me when I was around 13 or so. I shot it, and processed the film myself, and also printed it... burning in the sky from a separate neg then sepia toned (this is a scan of the print). I think from word go I've never really been interested in just "taking" an image... the idea of "making" one was what got me interested. That's never changed, but the photography has... a great deal. I'd rather spoon my eyes out than make a sepia toned black and white image now :)

59pRHu9.jpg

I still have the first images I took, aged about 5 or 6 of my parents in the park. It was on an old box brownie given me by my nan

I'd rather spoon my eyes out than make a sepia toned black and white image now

:(

I started a project this week to make a set of faux sepia pictures of the village I live in.

P1040843.jpg

They're intended to be an ironic pastiche, obviously.:D

They're intended to be an ironic pastiche, obviously.:D

...not without good reason I wouldn't rather. The image I posted has no good reason to be.

One must be specific on t'interweb or some pedant will always pull you up. ;)

I'm a terrible photographer with so much to learn ( you would have thought I'd have got the message by now after many years of persisting) Pookyhead an Ed sutton I love both those images. Pookyhead you took and developed that at 13? I think I better hang up my camera now and take up gardening. I did also do some developing when a teenager, it captivated me, the magic of that image appearing! Not to your standard though Dave.

Life seemed to have got in the way of my photography but over the last few years I've got back to it. My style has changed I guess from crap to terrible.... But you are certainly right about themes and subjects following these certainly make you think more and consider WHAT your doing and why, this has certainly made my photography improve. (Not hard) As for taking apertures and f stops for granted, I'm getting there ( that's a bit like learning to drive when you start to change gear without thinking).

Ed that image looks just like some of the old photographs I have in 'The suitcase' upstairs ( the historic vault for old family photographs) so your doing an excellent job in your PP!

This forum is excellent a good resource for learning and it inspires me to improve, and improve my PP too. I'd like to thank you all because although you may see your posts as 'just' another post we humble minions actually learn a lot from the wise words as we follow in your footsteps. I'm sure I'll get a good image before they nail me in my box! :)

All the best Steve

I'm a terrible photographer with so much to learn ( you would have thought I'd have got the message by now after many years of persisting) Pookyhead an Ed sutton I love both those images. Pookyhead you took and developed that at 13? I think I better hang up my camera now and take up gardening. I did also do some developing when a teenager, it captivated me, the magic of that image appearing! Not to your standard though Dave.

It's not that great when you see the print up close :)

Maybe not but, I like the composition... Something about how the rails lead away off into the distance, the moodiness of the shot the light off the top of the carriages....

Back