Hasselblad X1D Bargain

What will this help you achieve that your current crop of kit won’t?

Unless you’re making bucket loads from photography then IMO it’s a complete waste of money. Use the amazing kit you already have and go on holiday or something with your spare cash.

Unless, of course you need to print images the size of a skyscraper or something.

Ahhh knew it wouldn’t take long before GAS attack kicked in ;) lol

I knew it wouldn't take long for this thread to get derailed.

What will this help you achieve that your current crop of kit won’t?

Unless you’re making bucket loads from photography then IMO it’s a complete waste of money. Use the amazing kit you already have and go on holiday or something with your spare cash.

Unless, of course you need to print images the size of a skyscraper or something.

I thought perhaps there was room for fellow enthusiasts to talk about the pleasure of using particular gear without the need for judgement - particularly from those who have no interest in it.

I knew it wouldn't take long for this thread to get derailed.
Fear not my friend, its easily put back on track.
having just checked UK prices, this is a bargain indeed :eek: For a slight moment I even considered it but its a very slow camera which would probably drive me nuts.
The IQ from it seems to be stellar :)
Wouldn't you need to pay import VAT on it though thus making the saving a lot less? 20%? £5280 approx?

Well good luck if you go for it, it is certainly tempting but would you not have to pay import, VAT or some other things? (posted just as Riz_Guru replied :ROFLMAO: )

Think I would go for the Fuji GFx50 for my own taste :)

Fear not my friend, its easily put back on track.
having just checked UK prices, this is a bargain indeed :eek: For a slight moment I even considered it but its a very slow camera which would probably drive me nuts.
The IQ from it seems to be stellar :)
Wouldn't you need to pay import VAT on it though thus making the saving a lot less? 20%? £5280 approx?

I would have thought, since it's in the NL, part of the EU - no import fees?

Well good luck if you go for it, it is certainly tempting but would you not have to pay import, VAT or some other things? (posted just as Riz_Guru replied :ROFLMAO: )

Think I would go for the Fuji GFx50 for my own taste :)

import fees within the EU?

The design and size of the X1D are big selling points for me, the ease of using as a walkabout for city breaks.

The design and size of the X1D are big selling points for me, the ease of using as a walkabout for city breaks.
If you want high resolution i'd personally go for the Sony A7R III as you already have the FE lenses..... the Sony will have better AF and responsiveness too.
I know the price is good but the Sony A7R III is probably a more wiser choice in my book and use the rest of the money saved for another city break ;)

OK I guess I am wrong on the import fees :ROFLMAO:.

The Hasselblad is a fine camera and a design classic and from what I have seen has probably the best colour out there and yep it is certainly portable.

I agree with Riz on the AF front I tried one at the Photo Show in March and in the main hall it did not lock on as quick as I thought it should, the Fuji under the same light did much better and of course the smaller cameras were better again.

What are you hopeing to use it for?

If you want high resolution i'd personally go for the Sony A7R III as you already have the FE lenses..... the Sony will have better AF and responsiveness too.
I know the price is good but the Sony A7R III is probably a more wiser choice in my book and use the rest of the money saved for another city break ;)

Resolution will be nice, but I do want the tonality that comes with medium format, the colours that come with the Hasselblad - along with it's size, and styling.

I have an A9 for speed, the X1D will be good for portraits/city breaks and perhaps a bit of composed street

OK I guess I am wrong on the import fees :ROFLMAO:.

The Hasselblad is a fine camera and a design classic and from what I have seen has probably the best colour out there and yep it is certainly portable.

I agree with Riz on the AF front I tried one at the Photo Show in March and in the main hall it did not lock on as quick as I thought it should, the Fuji under the same light did much better and of course the smaller cameras were better again.

What are you hopeing to use it for?

Slow portraiture, perhaps even with tripod.

And as a walkabout city/landscapes.

Then from watching things like The Art Of Photography then the Hasselblad will be fine and produce some fab pictures.

However I still think you should "try before you buy" the user interface is nearly all controlled from the touch screen at the back (but is very easy and suprisngly intuative), make sure that the latest firmware is onboard, adds the ability to change the focusing points, the EVF is suprisingly dissapointing and this is from some one who shoots OMD and Fuji. Last thing is I'm not sure if the firware updates have addressed the "startup" times but it can be very slow to get going from when powered off, not sure about startup from sleep mode/

If you you get one then look forward to seeing the images :)

Last edited:
Then from watching things like The Art Of Photography then the Hasselblad will be fine and produce some fab pictures.

However I still think you should "try before you buy" the user interface is nearly all controlled from the touch screen at the back (but is very easy and suprisngly intuative), make sure that the latest firmware is onboard, adds the ability to change the focusing points, the EVF is suprisingly dissapointing and this is from some one who shoots OMD and Fuji. Last thing is I'm not sure if the firware updates have addressed the "startup" times but it can be very slow to get going from when powered off, not sure about startup from sleep mode/

If you you get one then look forward to seeing the images :)

the EVF in the A9 is disappointing to me after using the Leica SL and Q.

Just waiting on an offer from Kamera Express to collide with money coming in from ebay sales.

I've spent quite a while reading up on the camera, including all the negatives - I think I'm prepared. I just got to hope that the next 100MP 6 fps sensor for the Hasselblad X1D-100C (X2D?) isn't going to make me regret my purchase.

Never used an A9 but interesting comment, I am going to look for one next time I go shopping :)

Well the next version will always be better in some ways, its just the way it is :) however not sure what a 100Mb really offers, ther only ones I know of are virtually the same size as the old 645 film, but a fair old price, which I can't see them sticking it in a mirroless body just yet. Would price them selves out the sub £10K market.

Well good luck with your buy :)

Last edited:
Got some real bargains on the X1D over at Kamera Express, about £4400 delivered for just the X1d

https://www.kamera-express.nl/produ...-3-2/?channable=e27102.MTIyMDc0MTM3&zoek=X1d&

thinking I'll get myself a set with the 45 and 90mm lenses, anyone been interested?

I'm not seriously interested as I hardly have the time to use the cameras I've got but I feel the need to comment anyway :D

The Hasselblad looks gorgeous and if you have the money and the passion I'd say go for it... you only live once etc...

I'm not so sure that getting one will necessarily improve your photography as you're pretty excellent at picture taking already but having one could well be a different experience and a different way of taking pictures and if you have the chance to own this lovely piece of kit and think you'll enjoy the experience then why not do it? As long as no one is going to point sternly at the bank balance fluctuations.

Had I not committed for the Phase One system some years back, I
would have another look. Since the Hasselblad hasn't really move
in a direction more suitable to my operation needs, I surely would
come to the same decision.

I must admit, I'm of the opinion that if you can afford it, and want it, then why not?

I love the look of these, but there's no way I could justify buying one. It's actually hard to justify the kit I've got as it is...

But it's a beautiful thing before it's even taken a shot. I mean, no one really NEEDS an Aston Martin, but it doesn't stop them selling.

Having handled both the X1D and the Fuji GFX50 at the photo show a few months back, I would pick the Hasselblad over the Fuji. It looks, feels and handles much better and even though they have the same basic sensor I'd expect the X1D to give better colours. They're probably starting to clear stock of the 50Mpix body to clear the way for the 100Mpix, but even so that price is very good.

Well out of my league, but, I watch reviews of stuff I know I'll never own to torment myself :LOL: I remember seeing Chris Nichols review this when he was still with Thecamerastoretv, and he kind of hammered it a bit. His findings were that the touch screen was atrocious, and AF was lousy in general, said it would not be good for street shooting. Now, there might be newer firmware since, but for that kind of money I'd want to be certain!

This is a Camera I’ve always fancied as I shoot a lot of medium format film and would love the same (not quite, but similar) resolution in digital. However, after using an X1D at the NEC earlier this year I came away feeling that it would be disappointing for anything that moved due to the pedestrian AF. It felt pretty similar to my Mk1 A7 which isn’t great although for anything static I think the Hasselblad would be great.

I’m still not sure a £4400 Camera could be called a bargain but it’s an interesting option so long as the AF expectations are realistic. Compared to your A9’s I reckon it will do your head in [emoji6]

This is a Camera I’ve always fancied as I shoot a lot of medium format film and would love the same (not quite, but similar) resolution in digital. However, after using an X1D at the NEC earlier this year I came away feeling that it would be disappointing for anything that moved due to the pedestrian AF. It felt pretty similar to my Mk1 A7 which isn’t great although for anything static I think the Hasselblad would be great.

I’m still not sure a £4400 Camera could be called a bargain but it’s an interesting option so long as the AF expectations are realistic. Compared to your A9’s I reckon it will do your head in [emoji6]

I think my AF expectations are realistic :) I have my A9's for speed - and the X1D would be for quality.

I'm ready to take it slow with this camera.

Just put my order in for the X1D + 90mm lens, I've seen a 45mm I can pick up if I get some more money in

Good for you Dan (y)

It's a gorgeous thing, in a way that the Fuji somehow isn't in my hands, and a brilliant concept - basically a Hasselblad digital back with the lens stuck directly to it. And leaf shutters with flash is a uniquely potent combo I'd love to explore. If you go in with your eyes open and play to its strengths without constantly comparing to Canikson, happy days :)

Good for you Dan (y)

It's a gorgeous thing, in a way that the Fuji somehow isn't in my hands, and a brilliant concept - basically a Hasselblad digital back with the lens stuck directly to it. And leaf shutters with flash is a uniquely potent combo I'd love to explore. If you go in with your eyes open and play to its strengths without constantly comparing to Canikson, happy days :)

Thanks,

I am quite excited!

The idea of going on city breaks before was dulled by the wanting the X1D to take with me.

It'll arrive in time for a local beer festival with live music, Oh and a friend's birthday / portrait party coming up soon, the host has will have his large format wet plate camera out! I'll get to use the X1D to take his portrait, happy about that.

Oh and I'll also make a 4th trip to the Harry Potter studio..

Last edited:
The Hassie should be quicker to achieve focus than the host's camera at least!

Enjoy the thing.

Just don't look at The Angry Photographer's channel any time soon! [I very much doubt you would anyway]

the EVF in the A9 is disappointing to me after using the Leica SL and Q.

Just waiting on an offer from Kamera Express to collide with money coming in from ebay sales.

I've spent quite a while reading up on the camera, including all the negatives - I think I'm prepared. I just got to hope that the next 100MP 6 fps sensor for the Hasselblad X1D-100C (X2D?) isn't going to make me regret my purchase.
Interesting about the A9 EVF. I use to A9's to shoot weddings and find the EVF's to be responsive and whilst not an OVF they are pretty close!

Interesting about the A9 EVF. I use to A9's to shoot weddings and find the EVF's to be responsive and whilst not an OVF they are pretty close!

It's not the responsiveness, it's the image quality - everything looks better through the leica EVFs - and the SL is a higher resolution anyway.

Looks a Beast, enjoy it.
There's something really nice about getting something that you think you will enjoy and despite it not being perfect satisfies your needs.

Christ Almighty! The detail!
jesus if you fill the screen with the ladys left eye from that 100% shot i think it would pass a retina scan:eek::D
is that a summer house in the left eye catchlight i can see:D

Last edited:
jesus if you fill the screen with the ladys left eye from that 100% shot i think it would pass a retina scan:eek::D
is that a summer house in the left eye catchlight i can see:D

I built this today :) Pagoda.

34827796_10160756147410227_2226226182540492800_o.jpg

I built this today :) Pagoda.

34827796_10160756147410227_2226226182540492800_o.jpg
superb, cant believe how easy it is to see. i mag'ed that 100% pic by the + button then increased via windows by another 400% and it still shows your handy work clearly

My old H3D and lenses are is up for sale... proceeds likely to go to this. I do like the slow pace for portraits or landscape. 1DXM2 for fast action.

Back