Hayfever?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Any fellow Hayfever sufferers here?

The last few days have resulted in my eyes swelling up, nose streaming, sore throat - the works!

Currently taking:

Beconase (Nose)
Opticrom (Eyes)
Tesco Hayfever Remedy (Double recommended doseage)
Also bought an 'Allergy Reliever' from Lloyds which is effectively two light up sticks that you bung up your hooter.

Oh, and also trying 'New Era' Homeopathic Remedy. Does nothing.

Still really bad - any ideas?

Cheers,
James

Get a dog if you don't already have one ;) Apparently it helps. Chris (my hubby) used to suffer terrible with Hayfever, he was on medication for it 365 days a year. His asthma was also quite bad too. Then we got a great big lump of a white German Shepherd and within a year he was completely off his hayfever meds (only needed them maybe 2 times since), then he was also able to reduce his asthma meds from 5 different inhalers and tablets, down to 1 Ventolin for occasions when he was tight chested. For a few years he was only using perhaps 1 Ventolin per year. Unfortunatly we lost Honey (our GSD) :( but still have our little Bella, who seems to make up the difference with her long fluffy hair :LOL:

I think there may well be something in this theory, though I can't remember where I heard it :shrug:

The other thing that might help is wearing a disposable mask, you know the white paper ones that builders and the like wear in dusty conditions? If you wear it while driving/traveling it might help cut down the severity, since this is most likely when you inhale most of the pollen spores. Yes you may look silly, but which would you rather?

HTH and you get better soon.
Jo
xxx

Join the club :thumbsdown: !

Personally, I try so hard to avoid any form of medications ... but I know at times that is not possible. I don't like to get used to "artificial" help, espcially with something as trivial as this ... still, I do give in every now and then and end up with a long list of antialergic medications. Thank God Boots is only a minute crawl from home :)

I use to get heyfever pretty bad, seems to have lessened over the past few years though. Really do feel for you though Moos3h if you get it that bad! poor sod :(

I've developed hayfever only in the last 3 years, the first 45 were alright.
Having 2 dogs seems to make no difference to me.

It seems to be particularly bad this year.

Hayfever does give me some irritation but fortunately I haven't had any this year suprisingly, it is strange because I seem to associate the smell of pollen/rapeseed with hayfever and having fields all around where I live means I get that quite often.

Hopefully I can get through this year with out having to take any hayfever pills.

Fortunatly I only seem to suffer occasionly and then only lightly.
Sorry to hear you are suffering moos3h, have you tried acupuncture, heard somewhere that it can help :shrug:

hayfever should be banned
you spend all winter freezing and wet and then the sun finally comes out and your nose starts running, you start sneezing and cant see.

you can have injections though, from what i remember they work quite nicely

I hate hayfever, get some form of it most of the year.. bar winter of course.

I tend to go the nose and eye route, but use a none branded version of beconase, they have the same ingredients but cost less.. it makes sense, most places have a generic version if you ask. Opticrom, or generic eqiuvalent too. I haven't started on the eye drops yet this year though, usually a bad mistake but so far so...

Also been trying telfast 120, not sure if it's working but i'm not dying yet!

I used to get it from late march till the end of september, then i went on a desensitization programs for a while, now i only get it when the pollen count is REALLY high.. and then its only sometimes!!

The program was called EPD (Enzyme Potentiated Desensitisation), im not sure if its still going but it helped me..

Just googled it, seems to have a following, they stopped it on the NHS as they had some results that were inconclusive... It helped me though..:shrug:

I get it all year round as I'm allergic to both trees and grass. I have neo-clarityn on prescription, opticrom and beconase

I'm a beekeeper - got into it 20 odd years ago because my husband at the time had read something about a tablespoon of local honey a day keeping the doctor at bay.

I've got a couple of hives and sell every jar I produce to local hayfever sufferers who swear by it (including my ex.). I think it's something to do with a homeopathic theory.

Despite the foregoing, I'm a Beconase gal. Honey somehow just seems such a wimpy remedy by comparison.

I get hay fever (grass/ trees) and use all the above but I wear glasses - I find that wearing glasses helps and is the main reason form me not to use contact lenses - the glasses help to reduce the amount of pollen that ends up in your eyes. I can see really quite well with out glasses – I only need them for driving and distance, I don’t need them for looking at a computer - but during the summer I keep them on - so wear shades!!!
Vitamin c works as a natural antihistamine and I have found this helps but you need to be have been taking it for maybe 2 weeks to really see the effect - I have read that honey helps - but not found a big effect on me. Keeping windows closed in a car is good as the highest pollen counts are near motorways – air con with a filter helps.

I would try to stick to the recommended dosage of antihistamines as I have read that high doses (over a period of time) can be very bad for you

I suffered really badly from Hayfever from the age of 11 until I was about 30. I found that by taking hayfever meds from just before the start of the hayfever season (which is usually the end of May/start of June for me), that my symptoms are almost none existent. I used to take cetrizine (Zirtek) but it made me drowsy. Loratadine (Clarityn) is my preferred antihistamine these days, with Chlorpheniramine (Piriton) at night if I need it. Buying the cheaper 'own brand' meds are just as effective as it's the same drug. Moving down south seemed to help too :LOL: Not as many fields where I live now.
I really do feel for you though as I used to have tablets, eye drops, nasal spray and an inhaler, all to no avail.

Piriton and such like can cause drowsiness but Ive received great benifit from using NASONEX though it is only available through your Dr`s prescription.Hay fever is a very difficult problem to advise on as there are so many issues to be considered for the causes for any individual.Be careful taking any advice via non qualified providers as some medication can react badly with some other prescibed medicines one may be already taking.

I get hayfever really bad, not too bad this year yet but who knows. Adviced from my consultant on the subject.

1. when outdoors use glasses to prevent pollon getting in the eyes.
2. never use the air vents in your car - unless you have properly maintained pollen filters
3. always shower before bed to wash off the pollon.
4. keep house windows closed as much as poss
5. keep dairy product intake to a minimum - it increases snot production.
6. If antihystamines arnt helping, decongestants might help. (asuming you can take them and they dont interfear with any of your other medication.)

Hope that helps :)

I get hay fever (grass/ trees) and use all the above but I wear glasses - I find that wearing glasses helps and is the main reason form me not to use contact lenses - the glasses help to reduce the amount of pollen that ends up in your eyes. I can see really quite well with out glasses – I only need them for driving and distance, I don’t need them for looking at a computer - but during the summer I keep them on - so wear shades!!!
Vitamin c works as a natural antihistamine and I have found this helps but you need to be have been taking it for maybe 2 weeks to really see the effect - I have read that honey helps - but not found a big effect on me. Keeping windows closed in a car is good as the highest pollen counts are near motorways – air con with a filter helps.

I would try to stick to the recommended dosage of antihistamines as I have read that high doses (over a period of time) can be very bad for you

re the honey - make sure its locall stuff and therefor made from the pollen your are exposed to:)

Back