Haystacks and sunbeams

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
A shot I took this morning at Buttermere I had some nice light and a still lake. I got some nice shots had a chat with another tog using Olympus camera too. The lake surface broke up so I went to leave and whenI got half way to the car I stopped and took this. I collected my flask and had a hang around a bit longer and took more shots then went to Crummock for more tea.

Haystacks and sunbeams by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What do you think?

Not sure if you have the resolution to crop in but the trapezium middle left of the tree line in the shadow is stunning, a crop in there with the bright bits on right top/bottom would be fantastic I think.

As it is it's nice but for some reason not totally pushing my buttons, I think maybe because what would normally be considered the subject (the hill) is hazed out, maybe a little de-haze would help?

edit: or, I might be tempted to turn it into a pano with the trapezium focussing on the house and the the top of the hill and its reflection cropped out.

Last edited:
Really like this the reflection is nice, the light making the trees pop is sublime well worth stopping before heading home (y)

Kellett

I really like the light and the composition as it is. My only comment, is, as displayed here it looks slightly soft?

That's a bit special that is!

What do you think?
What do I think, Alf? Well, I wonder whether those pines across there are Scots or Corsicans?

What do I feel? - that's another matter. I feel that it's quite well-balanced in all dimensions (height, width, & perceptual depth). Thus satisfyingly pleasing.

Is that a motorised mallard, centre?

Was in your area last week - we came down the coast on the rattly old train, which broke down at Barrow.

Not sure if you have the resolution to crop in but the trapezium middle left of the tree line in the shadow is stunning, a crop in there with the bright bits on right top/bottom would be fantastic I think.

As it is it's nice but for some reason not totally pushing my buttons, I think maybe because what would normally be considered the subject (the hill) is hazed out, maybe a little de-haze would help?

edit: or, I might be tempted to turn it into a pano with the trapezium focussing on the house and the the top of the hill and its reflection cropped out.

Ned
I have other shots that do not include the sky or its reflection but I liked this one when I picked one out there will be more

I really like the light and the composition as it is. My only comment, is, as displayed here it looks slightly soft?

Thanks Craig it was rather hazy and I have not really reduced it much so it maybe soft but not as soft it could have been or some of the shots were

What do I think, Alf? Well, I wonder whether those pines across there are Scots or Corsicans?

What do I feel? - that's another matter. I feel that it's quite well-balanced in all dimensions (height, width, & perceptual depth). Thus satisfyingly pleasing.

Is that a motorised mallard, centre?

Was in your area last week - we came down the coast on the rattly old train, which broke down at Barrow.

ahh rumbled on the mallard front

The trains are rattly and old there have been complaints about how noisy they are too is some of the villages and they were running the locos two up in case of breakdowns sounds like you needed that.
Its a nice train ride if the train works OK though.

Last edited:
Really like this the reflection is nice, the light making the trees pop is sublime well worth stopping before heading home (y)

Kellett

Ideal conditions love it. Dramatic yet calm and restful

Great use of light Alf!, lovely Capture.

That's a bit special that is!

I like that, lots to explore, well done.

The light is cracking. Well done.

Thanks all glad you like it

"Cracking" shot Alf, lovely light, some very nice reflections, and well composed.(y)

George.

Ned
I have other shots that do not include the sky or its reflection but I liked this one when I picked one out there will be more

Fair enough :) I guess this illustrates why I tend to use telephoto for my landscapes, not always but that's how I tend to see things :)

Technically I think it's pretty good, a beautiful scene with nice light but I just don't feel any emotion towards it unlike some I've seen from this spot. Maybe the conditions are a little too perfect, or it could be the aspect ratio and that there's little breathing space. Maybe a pano would have suited and helped to avoid clipping the tree from the left hand edge

Admirably recorded scene taking full benefit of lovely light and stillness, and careful composition- a memorable image IMO.

Great stuff Alf, looks like it all come together for you. Well taken.

"Cracking" shot Alf, lovely light, some very nice reflections, and well composed.(y)

George.

Superb Alf

Love the light on this one Alf ....it's a beauty.

Hope you are happy with this one, Alf; I'd be delighted.

Dave

I like it too. Is be very happy if I'd caught this one . Well done

Admirably recorded scene taking full benefit of lovely light and stillness, and careful composition- a memorable image IMO.

Thanks all for the comments

Fair enough :) I guess this illustrates why I tend to use telephoto for my landscapes, not always but that's how I tend to see things :)

This was shot at 54mm equivelant on 35mm format so hardly my normal 24mm or wider

Technically I think it's pretty good, a beautiful scene with nice light but I just don't feel any emotion towards it unlike some I've seen from this spot. Maybe the conditions are a little too perfect, or it could be the aspect ratio and that there's little breathing space. Maybe a pano would have suited and helped to avoid clipping the tree from the left hand edge

There are plenty of things to pick at in this I would say but if you do not like this thats the way it goes sometimes. I have tighter compsoitions taken on the day and I could crop but this is what went with the trees on the left just merge and carry on and you have to crop/frame somewhere.

Maybe the next one will please you who knows.

Call me ignorant but can you explain in more simple terms what you are trying to say? I fully understand what a trapezium is but your description doesn't seem to fit. Cheers

Here is a wide (single frame at 20mm equivelant} shot cropped down a bit its not great.

Buttermere reflection hazy by Alf Branch, on Flickr

That does much more for me :)

I would prefer a tighter crop to exclude the trees on the left and accentuate the light on the tree-line, kind of half way between this and the first but or me this is much more interesting than the first shot, it invites me to explore and as a greater sense of depth brought on by the letterbox shape and the silhouettes work with the lit hillside. I also like the way it goes from misty on the left to clear on the right.

It would look epic printed large :)

Call me ignorant but can you explain in more simple terms what you are trying to say? I fully understand what a trapezium is but your description doesn't seem to fit. Cheers

I think if you compare it to the panorama crop just posted, and my comments on that, you will see what I mean. Or to explain it another way, I guess what I mean is on the first shot I'm not sure where I'm meant to be looking, it seems as though it should be the big bright hill but that's a little hazy so then I look for other interest and I see the trees, but they then seem to be a bit small to be the subject.

Doesn't mean I'm right, it's just my opinion :)

That does much more for me :)

I would prefer a tighter crop to exclude the trees on the left and accentuate the light on the tree-line, kind of half way between this and the first but or me this is much more interesting than the first shot, it invites me to explore and as a greater sense of depth brought on by the letterbox shape and the silhouettes work with the lit hillside. I also like the way it goes from misty on the left to clear on the right.

It would look epic printed large :)
So to get this straight.
You want a tighter crop on the first image (and that's why you shoot longer length lenses)
Then when the wider image is posted you want a wider than the original crop!?
What exactly are you saying?

So to get this straight.
You want a tighter crop on the first image (and that's why you shoot longer length lenses)
Then when the wider image is posted you want a wider than the original crop!?
What exactly are you saying?

I'm saying I like the trees with the light behind it, how that's presented is up to the photographer. I gave my opinion based on the first shot and then there was a second one posted, which I also liked - I couldn't magically know the rest of that landscape was there as I've never been but it works for me :)

Really enjoy the fogginess in the sky against the range and the crispness of the water is very well capture. Enjoyed viewing this. Thank you.

That second one looks a cracker, works very nicely. I'd probably play a little with levels and contrast but you've certainly got a beauty as it is

That second one looks a cracker, works very nicely. I'd probably play a little with levels and contrast but you've certainly got a beauty as it is

Thanks I was not really planning on using that shot maybe I should

Loving the original Alf. We've visited a few times now but never in such lovely conditions. Nice one.

Thanks Peter I have been a few times (this year it is only 30 minutes drive) myself and had some great conditions.

Back