Haze v Fly spray

I wish it was toxic. They changed something in fly spray some years ago, I don't know what, but you are better off trying to hit flies with the can rather than the contents; I think flies just use it as refreshing shower these days. For the occasional fly I find the best thing is two or three elastic bands fastened together and fired at the fly when it lands; they may be fast but they are not THAT fast.

I wish it was toxic. They changed something in fly spray some years ago, I don't know what, but you are better off trying to hit flies with the can rather than the contents; I think flies just use it as refreshing shower these days. For the occasional fly I find the best thing is two or three elastic bands fastened together and fired at the fly when it lands; they may be fast but they are not THAT fast.
I noticed that.
The best I could do was drown them in the stuff. I did find an alternative though.

1697697471224.png

Reactions: 4wd
I find a blast from antibacterial spray does the job. It doesn’t kill them but it will down them. Soon disposed of with tissue.

WD40...

Electronic contact cleaner works incredibly fast for most any flying insect. Bees are dead before they hit the floor. I found this out back in about 1965 while using the contact cleaner when a bee happened to fly past me. It's been my favorite method ever since.

Charley

Nor mine, but if were to try to kill it I'd hope it would win the fight and give me a good stinging and then call all his mates to come and repeat the process . . .

Get yourself some of this and spray it around your window frames and anywhere else the flies land.

Lasts ages and works.

Going back to the topic . . . :)

Never used the stuff, never found the need. Smoke machine when needed, or perhaps a bit of tobacco or vape smoke, although I appreciate that I'm now out of step for having tobacco smoke available:)

53581975583_0a0a8581dc_b_d.jpg

;)

Actually, I've become quite good at hitting insects with rubber bands shot from my fingers. I just happened to be spraying contact cleaner that day and used what I had. If I had rubber bands near me that day, he would likely have been just as dead.

For photography, I keep Atmosphere spray in stock. I also have a fogger and fog juice, both the regular and fast dissipating versions. The regular is too much for my small studio and takes an hour to be completely gone from the air. The quick dissipating is a bit too quick, so I frequently blend the two. I've become quite proficient at getting the rate of dissipation down to a workable level. I think my fogger is a bit over sized for the studio and this doesn't help matters either. It's a 900 watt. A few seconds burst with my blended fog juice is all that I usually need for about 5 minutes of shooting. If longer shooting is required, another short burst may be necessary.

Charley

Last edited:
I can't comment on stage lighting but we use a couple of these for visitor control...

Insect catcher oyramid S10 DSCN0833.jpg

Electronic contact cleaner works incredibly fast for most any flying insect. Bees are dead before they hit the floor. I found this out back in about 1965 while using the contact cleaner when a bee happened to fly past me. It's been my favorite method ever since.

Charley
This must be the same as Brake and Clutch cleaner. I was stung by a wasp a few years ago when working in the garage, The wasp was dead before it hit the floor. For some reason it doesn't have the same effect on spiders though, they just shrug it off.

The toxic ingredient in some fly sprays was a very weak solution involving an variation on Organo-Phosphate.. Which is or was a sheep dip ingredient and at a high concentration it goes to form one of the compounds in chemical Nerve Agent so it is no surprising that the chemical make up was changed.

The toxic ingredient in some fly sprays was a very weak solution involving an variation on Organo-Phosphate.. Which is or was a sheep dip ingredient and at a high concentration it goes to form one of the compounds in chemical Nerve Agent so it is no surprising that the chemical make up was changed.
But I have used the stuff on occasions all my life, so I'm pretty sure that the only danger it poses is if some dumb kid decides to spray it up his nose because some idiot Tiktok 'influencer' says it is a good idea. IMO, they'd have done better to leave it as it was and let Darwin's theory work to its full effect, while the rest of us normal people use it to kill flies.

Back