HDR Software

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't do a lot of HDR but I was messing aound with merging some sunset exposures last night in LR/PS and the results were not terribly realistic so I got to wondering if there was anything better.

This guy has done a recent and seemingly comprehenive review and I was wondering if anyone has experience of EasyHDR (which he recommends) and Luminance HDR (because it's free). Will they do any better than PS?

(BTW, I'm not looking to rehash the old HDR arguments, just looking for the views of people with experience of HDR packages other than LR/PS, thanks)

I use the Nik stuff. When I'm in Lightroom I just select the photos I want to use, click one button and let the software do the rest. I'm quite happy with the results. I've posted several and no one on here has spotted the HDR process; if it can get past the critics on here it must be reasonably good!

Here's one from a place you probably know.
Light levels are all over the place so I tried HDR...
FUJI7526_HDR.jpg

I don't do a lot of HDR but I was messing aound with merging some sunset exposures last night in LR/PS and the results were not terribly realistic so I got to wondering if there was anything better.

This guy has done a recent and seemingly comprehenive review and I was wondering if anyone has experience of EasyHDR (which he recommends) and Luminance HDR (because it's free). Will they do any better than PS?

(BTW, I'm not looking to rehash the old HDR arguments, just looking for the views of people with experience of HDR packages other than LR/PS, thanks)

I use EasyHDR Pro and find it excellent, giving a huge range of usable results using the various sliders.

However I use it mainly as a kind of "variable layers" on single frame TIFF photos.

It can also batch process once you have set the sliders.

As with all HDR programs it does increase the noise levels so I often use Neat image first to minimise this problem.

I used to use FDRtools, but the HDR Merge tool in LR CC works well for me. Just make sure you have Autotone turned OFF.

@petersmart thanks, that's good to know. I'll give Nik a try and may go for EasyHDR if that doesn't work

@Alastair I do have Autotone turned off but I can get almost as good a result (and more natural looking to my eye) with a few grads and the healing brush on a single image in LR as the HDR merge is giving me on these particular shots. Although, as I said, I don’t do much HDR so I may be trying to make a silk purse out of the proverbial.

If you subscribe to Tim Greys newsletter he's doing a HDR tutorial next Wednesday. You need to register

Back