Head shot with glasses

Thanks Bob I am so use to getting in the catch lights I felt it looked odd lol
I know where you're coming from but it's such a strong image I don't think it matters.
Only a fellow tog would pick up on it.
You could always have a go and see how it looks.

Last edited:
I'm no portrait photographer although it is something I'd like to try. This one looks nice enough to me. With wildlife, catchlights bring the eye alive, in that genre, an eye without a catchlight is a dead eye. That's wildlife though, I'm not sure the same principle would apply to human portraits. I think catchlights would liven these eyes up but it's a strong enough image as it is. I think it's down to personal opinion, there's no harm in trying, then sitting with the image for a few minutes and seeing what you think.

I rarely add catchlights to wildlife images, they tend to occur naturally but when I do, I clone from a brighter spot of the image and reduce the opacity of the brush to taste.

I was so busy trying not to get the reflection of my modifier on the glasses of the head shots of this wonderful gentleman I missed the catch lights in his eyes. Would you just add some or leave it alone .View attachment 241061
I would tweak it darker and a lot more menacing, run it through something to get a gritty tone and layer that in parts.
Catchlights might ruin it and make it pleasant.
He is going to remove your teeth slowly in the bowels of a cooling tower. Good photo.

Just one minor point if I may, it does look a bit “floating head” to me but that should be fixable with a couple of tweaks. Nice image!

Exactly this!

The shirt almost completely merges with the background; I'd expect a print to exacerbate the problem.

fwiw If you add catchlights you might need to add some specular highlights to the specs to make it look coherent.
I'm not obsessed with catchlights but I would like to be able to distinguish the iris from the pupil. I'd get in there and do a bit of work.

One other thing - it currently has an embedded Profoto RGB profile. Just check that your chosen print lab can handle that.

I would tweak it darker and a lot more menacing, run it through something to get a gritty tone and layer that in parts.
Catchlights might ruin it and make it pleasant.
He is going to remove your teeth slowly in the bowels of a cooling tower. Good photo.

Haha! Ouch that sounds painful. Yes you could say this with this look he has :)
I would like to try that gritty look so please feel free to tell me how it would be done. Do you mean like a grunge look that would be fun. I only have photoshop and lightroom and Nik

You have more than enough,
but I hardly use those first two and don't have any Nik so can't describe what they call the setting in them to get the look,
hang on...
... oh "Edit my images = Yes", I might have a go but this compootah doesn't have much editing on it.

This compootah has not the will to do it.

Last edited:
Haha! Ouch that sounds painful. Yes you could say this with this look he has :)
I would like to try that gritty look so please feel free to tell me how it would be done. Do you mean like a grunge look that would be fun. I only have photoshop and lightroom and Nik

Most folk try to achieve a grunge look by desaturating slightly and whacking up the tonal contrast, e.g. by shifting the clarity slider to the right. That invariably introduces all sorts of processing artefacts.

If I was going for a gritty look I'd start with different lighting and then dodging & burning. IME trying to make something which just isn't there usually looks nasty.

Back