Head torch?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Any recommendations on a decent head torch?
Budget is max £30.

Cheers.

Petzl Tikka - excellent. I have two, one in each bag so as not to forget them. I rate them highly, as do most folk who use them.

The tikka is brilliant. Mine's a wee bit orange but it's useful when I drop it or put it down in the grass.

I've just purchased 2 own brand from Alpkit for £12.50, not tried them out yet but they look okay.

Agree about one that has the option of a red light. Good white light is essential but, (and I'm assuming you want the torch for night/astro shots) it destroys your night vison. After a while its surprising how easy it is to get around using a red light.

Dave

I've had loads. The best I've had is the Alpkit Gamma. £15, has high/low plus red and green lights and optional red one on back of head for visibility.
Fantastic things.

Another vote for the Alpkit head torches, I've got two and they are great value. The Petzls are probably a bit tougher and a bit more waterproof but you pay for that. One other option of which I have experience but probably out of your budget is Fenix, more expensive but a lot brighter.

Funnily enough I was having this conversation with the Missus this morning, she's the manager of an outdoors shop.

The one she said to go for is the NEXTORCH Eco Star (Amazon link)

She's been selling them for years and only ever had one returned. Down here in Cornwall a lot of the search and rescue people use this model.

EDIT - It can also shine red to help with night vision.

Last edited:
I still use an old Petzl Tikka bought about 7 - 8 years ago. Runs on 3 x AAA batteries and comfortable to wear. Probably a bit less powerful than more recent models, but it works just fine for me and it's reliable.

Another Alpkit Gamma vote from me, I always use them on expeditions and for the price you can go wrong.

Have a look at the Fenix range. Very popular up here with shore anglers. Very bright, if that's what you want, and very reliable.

Petzl Tikka here too... red light very useful at night. I've not experience of the Alpkit one, but I am a fa of their dry bags

I've had loads. The best I've had is the Alpkit Gamma. £15, has high/low plus red and green lights and optional red one on back of head for visibility.
Fantastic things.
I was looking for a red led head torch last year before going to skomer. I ended up with a lenserLED and used red electrical tape to cover the light on the recommendation of a warden. I was surprised it worked as well as it did, did fall off a cliff! The alpkit gamma does look like its worth trying for the price. The wife is coming with me this year to Skomer so will need a head torch too so I may try the alpkit gamma. How bright is the red light?

Last edited:
The Alpkit has a bright central light with two levels, and also separate red, green and little white LEDs. They're dim enough that they.last forever but enough to see by. Great headtorches and also quite good for light painting!

The center strap can be unclipped if you just want headband style.

I really rate them. Takes 3 AAAs

Back