Heads Up to iPhone and Apple Watch Owners

I suspect it was a folder previously created by the user.
It's not a folder created by me but the iPhones list of "best of the last 3 months" it's also listed in the "memories" section that's now appeared.
I wouldn't mind if I felt that social media was a high priority in my life and that this feature may be useful somehow but truth is I don't parade over social media like an attention deprived troglodyte so I don't use it. I don't like features and software forced on me. This is what Apple seems to have resorted to. The arrogance of Apple to go about and randomly list a best of is just ludicrous. How do they know what's best? Best is subjective and up to the end user to determin not the manufacturer of my phone. You wouldn't walk into someone's house and rearrange the furniture because you think it's better that way so why do Apple feel they can do the same?

Last edited:
It's not a folder created by me but the iPhones list of "best of the last 3 months" it's also listed in the "memories" section that's now appeared.
I wouldn't mind if I felt that social media was a high priority in my life and that this feature may be useful somehow but truth is I don't parade over social media like an attention deprived troglodyte so I don't use it. I don't like features and software forced on me. This is what Apple seems to have resorted to.
Samsung do some nice none smart phones might be the best option for you (y)

I wouldn't mind if I felt that social media was a high priority in my life and that this feature may be useful somehow but truth is I don't parade over social media like an attention deprived troglodyte so I don't use it. I don't like features and software forced on me. This is what Apple seems to have resorted to.

Ah I see, well if you don't like the memories section then don't use it. Can't say it bothers me in the slightest.

If you missed the point any more you'd be heading backwards seeing as your resorting to digs without any understanding of how or why I use my phone. You work for Apple?

The point is that you have already said you don't like iOS 10 and that you want to move back to Android, so recommending a Samsung is not really a bad thing is it.

Ah I see, well if you don't like the memories section then don't use it. Can't say it bothers me in the slightest.
I like to chose what I do and don't use just as I like to chose how my furniture fits within my house. If I had a chair in the middle of my living room without space or requirement for it then I'd be a bit of an idiot but at least I would be able to remove it and correct my previous lapse of common sense. Now I have a section that looks like it's been created with no other purpose than to annoy with no means of being able to remove it. I can now delete Apple apps (hide them) which is great but this feature just annoys. It's like a poor marketing attempt where a collection of random images have been selected and random and forced upon an unsuspecting audience like a bad shot gun sales approach from a desperate sales man. This is akin to those awful web mailers you may get at work where by someone without an ounce of sales know how has been tasked with increasing breadth, is just plain desperate or likely entirely clueless. Who at Apple thought that was a good idea!?

It was the "none smartphone" bit that was a little out of order. One word can make all the difference between a polite response and one that isnt.
Out of order and inpolite when you continue to slinging insults to everyone else. Gosh. Sorry @Andrew Moore I would really suggest you examine your own style and behaviour before you start accusing others of that.

You said in a very denigrating manner you don't like social media, great, I totally understand that. A non smart phone will provide a lot of benefits like much improved battery life, better call quality etc. Something like would be brilliant.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/other-phones/others/GT-S5610MSAXEU

I like to chose what I do and don't use just as I like to chose how my furniture fits within my house. If I had a chair in the middle of my living room without space or requirement for it then I'd be a bit of an idiot but at least I would be able to remove it and correct my previous lapse of common sense. Now I have a section that looks like it's been created with no other purpose than to annoy with no means of being able to remove it. I can now delete Apple apps (hide them) which is great but this feature just annoys. It's like a poor marketing attempt where a collection of random images have been selected and random and forced upon an unsuspecting audience like a bad shot gun sales approach from a desperate sales man. This is akin to those awful web mailers you may get at work where by someone without an ounce of sales know how has been tasked with increasing breadth, is just plain desperate or likely entirely clueless. Who at Apple thought that was a good idea!?

I don't think you and Apple are suited at all. If you look at this video -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65_PmYipnpk
- you'll see that Apple consider that their customers are paying them to make choices. And if people don't like those choices, they won't buy the product.

If I didn't (in the main, at least) trust the choices Apple are making, I would take watch the Keynote very carefully indeed before deciding whether or not to instal an update.

Out of order and inpolite when you continue to slinging insults to everyone else. Gosh. Sorry @Andrew Moore I would really suggest you examine your own style and behaviour before you start accusing others of that.

You said in a very denigrating manner you don't like social media, great, I totally understand that. A non smart phone will provide a lot of benefits like much improved battery life, better call quality etc. Something like would be brilliant.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/other-phones/others/GT-S5610MSAXEU
I've had a look and I've not insulted anyone except for you after your comment. I'm miffed that Apple released a broken update knowingly and then fixed it 15minutes later without a single admition of fault. I need a smart phone for what a smart phone was originally created for, office based admin on universal apps, barcode scanning, email, the use of a basic camera and on the odd occasion the internet. You don't need a smart phone for social media, only a webpage function.
I appreciate the linking of that phone however it won't fit the bill and if I went away from Apple I would have to mess about with around £150 or more on apps given there's no universal cross over between android and Apple.
My work tool is a work tool. I don't want nor need it messying with rubbish driven by trends on social media.
What's worse is I now have pro social media friends sending me rubbish that I have to look at when I managed to avoid all that trash simply by not doing Facebook.

I've had a look and I've not insulted anyone except for you after your comment. I'm miffed that Apple released a broken update knowingly and then fixed it 15minutes later without a single admition of fault. I need a smart phone for what a smart phone was originally created for, office based admin on universal apps, barcode scanning, email, the use of a basic camera and on the odd occasion the internet. You don't need a smart phone for social media, only a webpage function.
I appreciate the linking of that phone however it won't fit the bill and if I went away from Apple I would have to mess about with around £150 or more on apps given there's no universal cross over between android and Apple.
My work tool is a work tool. I don't want nor need it messying with rubbish driven by trends on social media.
What's worse is I now have pro social media friends sending me rubbish that I have to look at when I managed to avoid all that trash simply by not doing Facebook.

As said before. Buy an Android phone. You have already said you want to, so you have already solved your own problem.

Cool and they haven't broken anything regarding your key functions what youversion listen. On the contrary they've added lots more great functionality.

Mistakes happen, they've had about 8 or 9 betas updates during the run up which all installed smoothly. Unfortunately at the crucial moment it failed and was quickly rectified. Don't you ever make a mistake? It's not like it set vehicles on fire or risk an aeroplane coming from the air.

I just don't understand your anger towards having a lot of extra functionality.

It's a good update, I was using the public beta for a while so it isn't so new for me, although some of the stuff during the beta was a bit unstable but I get used to that - I always have a spare phone I can use if it's too wobbly.

I really like the new photos app, the memories thing is quite nice I thought, really easy to edit, it's great for the kids. I don't like social media really, so a lot of that stuff doesn't excite me, but nothing is forced on us, we can ignore what we don't want to use.

I think they got a bit too focussed on messages, but some of it is fun. I like how easy it is to send stuff to others through it now, so many apps have a 'thing' to connect it to messages, most I'd never dream of using but there must be something for everyone unless you really have zero friends or family.

I really like how they put so much effort into the accessibility side as standard without needing special downloads or to pay extra, and it all works with every app. I have quite a lot of friends with disabilities, and they all seem to use Apple devices as they are so much easier to use than anything else. There's a new feature to use the camera as a reader now to scan across a book or the paper - not sure if it's a voice or just enlarges, either way it's great.

Maps is improved, and they've taken on a lot of very skilled new people to get maps where it needs to be - it has its issues but I still find it works pretty much every time. I like how it tells me how long it's going to take me to get home, and the traffic stuff is very accurate and free - not that we get much traffic round here, just tractors mostly.

The best update for me is unlimited tabs in safari. I don't use a computer, I use an iPad, and every time I find a page or site I want to read I open it in a new page. Previously after x amount of pages it started to close the earlier ones to replace them with the latest. I was always having to go back and find articles and sites again, now I can have as many open as I want. I'm sure most people couldn't care less, but for me it's a big deal.

The Home app works well, my house is full of Philips Hue bulbs, I prefer other apps to control them and I have all my scenes and routines setup and switches round the house already, but the Home app does seem very slick. I'm getting some sockets for a few other items I want to be able to control, and at some point I want a decent heating control system so it can manage that too, but I want a full system controlling every radiator not just a thermostat in one room as that's a bit pointless I feel.

The control centre is loads better and the widgets too, although I don't like how it goes to the notification page first a sit still one more swipe to get to widgets. I have my lighting in the widgets, although the Home app settings are in a tab in the control centre, so I use the widgets probably more than anything else on the phone. My iPad is still in the Beta and the widgets don't load, I'll update it tonight and it should be fine.

News app is meant to be improved but I never used it. Music looks good, I use that a lot and have a family pack of paid subscriptions, seemed the best way as kids wanted it too. Email is smoother, I'm going to try Siri out as it's meant to be loads better, it is meant to work better with the lighting apps, my little girl loves telling the lights what to do but struggles with her words, I'm hoping it's a bit more understanding this time round.

Overall it's a big update, they reckon the biggest, a lot of it is system stuff and makin it all run smoother. I'm impressed the whole download is under a gig of data, that's a lot more compressed than they used to make it a few years back and it's. A lot more complex these days.

I'm going to get a new Apple TV at some point soon, I have the second gen one which we use quite a bit with Netflix and YouTube, but now it has apps it works with Hue, acts as a central hub for the Home app and make sit easier to control everything, so I think it's an easy upgrade for our house. I've got a load more bulbs to buy too, I want to fill the garden, but they have some improved colours and brighter bulbs due at some point soon so I'm holding off, they are not cheap, so I may as well get the best I can for the money. I don't have an Apple Watch, not worn a watch in a long time, I'm pretty sure I don't need one but I must admit I do quite fancy getting one. I'm buying one for my son so I'll have a play to see if I want one, it may be that using it for an hour is enough and I won't want to buy one. Got to get a laptop as I haven't had a proper computer for three years now, but they are well overdue an update, so I'll wait for the new MacBook pros to come out. They get far too much of my money!

Surely a simple request to your Friends not to send you Rubbish is all you need to do?

Surely a simple request to your Friends not to send you Rubbish is all you need to do?
I've been known to de-friend friends who do that to me, or spam my e-mail addresses. Fully agree with you, someone needs to Man up, but I think Andrew Moore prefers drama tbh.

I like the widget page that's available with a swipe L to R, handy for quick access to frequently used apps. The only problem is it contains a lot of stuff I don't use often, and little that I would like there, eg Phone, Messages etc. I've searched but can find no way to edit the list, to either add or remove stuff from the list itself. I'm assuming that if an app is available as a widget then it will be automatically be added to the list? I'm currently playing around with the Vidgets app to see if that will do what I want. I'd appreciate any advice if anyone knows more. Obviously IOS10, on a 6.

I like the widget page that's available with a swipe L to R, handy for quick access to frequently used apps. The only problem is it contains a lot of stuff I don't use often, and little that I would like there, eg Phone, Messages etc. I've searched but can find no way to edit the list, to either add or remove stuff from the list itself. I'm assuming that if an app is available as a widget then it will be automatically be added to the list? I'm currently playing around with the Vidgets app to see if that will do what I want. I'd appreciate any advice if anyone knows more. Obviously IOS10, on a 6.
I haven't used it much yet. But the article linked earlier had quite an independent review on it and it looked very configurable now. A bug change from the earlier versions. You may want to look at that.

You can turn that list thingy off. There's an edit button on that page. I think it's called siri suggestions or something. Everything I use a lot is generally on the home screen so I don't really need it.

The only problem is it contains a lot of stuff I don't use often, and little that I would like there, eg Phone, Messages etc. I've searched but can find no way to edit the list, to either add or remove stuff from the list itself.

Scroll to the Bottom hit the Edit Button, Tap on the left (-) in the top list anything not wanted, Tap (+) on bottom List any thing you want to add, press and hold an item up or down on list to rearrange the list.

Scroll to the Bottom hit the Edit Button, Tap on the left (-) in the top list anything not wanted, Tap (+) on bottom List any thing you want to add, press and hold an item up or down on list to rearrange the list.

Thanks, but it's the bottom (+) list with the green buttons that I would like to be able to customise so that I have a list of my own widgets to choose from. What's in there now seems to be a random choice that I can't see how to edit to my taste.

I've just updated my iPad Air and iPhone 5 just before writing this.

Last edited:
I've just updated my iPad Air and iPhone 5 just before writing this.

I'll be interested to hear how your 5 runs with the new IOS installed. My 6 seems to be snappier and quicker with it on, and I like the new features. However a pal has asked if he should update his 5, but I can't really advise on the strength of how a 6 is behaving.

Back