Heard it all now!

TCR4x4

Wishes he had a couple more Inches
Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Having a conversation on on Facebook regarding one of my youtube videos with someone asking about sensor cleaning.

They say they tried rubbing the dust off with their finger nail and then tried dropping water on the sensor and rubbing it off with a microfibre cloth. They say its making the sensor more and more dirty.......I advised they take it to a shop for cleaning.... :facepalm:

Last edited:
Some people do make you want to cringe don't they.I had a friend who told me how they'd tried everything to clean a sensor and that as they'd now given up on it they were going to buy a new body instead. I asked to have a quick look at it and then had a quiet giggle to my self when I found they'd been cleaning the focus screen and expecting the the sensor to be free of the hoooooooge goober that was residing on it.

Some people do make you want to cringe don't they.I had a friend who told me how they'd tried everything to clean a sensor and that as they'd now given up on it they were going to buy a new body instead. I asked to have a quick look at it and then had a quiet giggle to my self when I found they'd been cleaning the focus screen and expecting the the sensor to be free of the hoooooooge goober that was residing on it.

:D Some people should stick to taking pictures on their iphones...

On a forum I use someone was advised to use alcohol! only they weren't specific....

Whiskey was the chosen poison!

just been thinking of cleaning mine and don't have any of the above.. would it be ok to use a brillo pad?????

I've had similar experiences with cars. I'm a spray painter by trade and the amount of people who have come to me to sort their paintwork because they tried to remove tar stains and stubborn dirt with scour or brillo pads is just stupid.

If its really stubborn dirt I'll just use my 3800psi pressure washer :D

Next time you do it gimme a shout and I'll give you a shot of my sandblaster to get the worst off first before the pressure washer.

Next time you do it gimme a shout and I'll give you a shot of my sandblaster to get the worst off first before the pressure washer.

Nice one now that sounds like it will do the trick nicely :D :LOL: cannot wait for google spiders to get there dirty little mits on this thread :D

Thanks guys, with all this information I have sorted out some kit, but I need a bit more advice.

I have got these:

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Ca...C-4070-3.htm?gclid=COqx6u2s9rsCFabLtAoddToAgQ

So, how much of this stuff do I need to use with them?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produ... Consumables&gclid=CO2BxbGt9rsCFYUewwodASkAeA

Or is it best to just buy one of these kits instead?

http://www.agriandgarden.com/valve-grinding-paste.html?gclid=CIbYrMet9rsCFWmWtAodYgIAzQ

Can I use water to clean up, or am I best off using petrol?

If its really stubborn dirt I'll just use my 3800psi pressure washer :D

Try using 400 grit wet and dry. Will sort out the dust once and for all

stop messing about ,we all know a spray with WD40 cures all sorts of problems ,just make sure you have the little plastic tube on it so you can spray really close to the sensor

I think with all the above it causes abrasion and would mark the sensor. I think I will use my blow torch and burn off that dust!

Oh dear, suff like this is just scary!

As long as they are not lurking round here selling cameras in the classifieds!

Dettol is fine, but Cillit Bang does the trick

BANG and your sensor is gone

whats wrong with the dishwasher , just take off the lens and put it in the cutlery tray , do body and lens together

What! .... this is crazy.
Hopefully with the auto cleaning mode of most modern camera, the need of cleaning the sensor is less and less needed.

Your always going to have to clean your sensor from time to time it's a fact of life for any camera you can remove the lens on :) but best not to follow Chris's method he's a lovely but easily lead astray chap ;)

whats wrong with the dishwasher , just take off the lens and put it in the cutlery tray , do body and lens together

Not got a dishwasher, do you think the wasing machine will do? it has a delicate setting.

I know some one that thought (his first mistake) that as it's dust on the sensor, that he would use a duster to clean it. Big fat fingers pushing a duster in and wiggles it about a bit and wonders why it's a tad FUBAR'd. When I see him now, i call him Dusty !!

I find the oxygen in my scuba tank works ok, 300bar none of that 220 stuff

Back