weekly Helen C's 52 for 23. Week 52 - Favourite shot of 2023

Nice mono for upright :) I love an old boat :)

I don't think that the image is cluttered Helen, I think that it tells a story.

I rather like that

I Like that Helen,
Processing matchs the age of the boat.

Pete

Thats a nice shot Helen. Great in mono too.

The “clutter” really adds to the character of the picture, feels quite emotive. Nice

I like this shot Helen. The processing really suits the shot.

Lovely B&W upright Helen.

Nice B&W upright shot

Nice mono for upright :) I love an old boat :)

I don't think that the image is cluttered Helen, I think that it tells a story.

Mono suits the scene, keeps the focus on the boat

As ever, thank you for dropping by and commenting.

A local shot taken just off a road called Christmas Lane that traverses a swathe of flat agricultural land. I have been told it was an airfield during WW2 but have never bothered to take a close look until yesterday. Having found a way in there is a criss-cross of concrete runways still in existence which look like farm tracks. It did have rather an eerie feel out there on my own!
Definitely very much forgotten. I did some research - it was built for use by the US Air Force and designed for heavy bombers.

PW6A6585
by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

That most certainly fits the theme. There must be so many of those old WWII airfields across Britain. I know we have one near us that was a possible site of London's third airport until Stansted was chosen.

So appropriate to choose to present it in monochrome.

Nice shot (as always Helen), and a perfect fit for the theme. Good backstory

That's a lovely image, from the puddles to the shapes of the clouds.
The background story is very interesting, and that's the kind of place I love to visit and try to imagine what it was like when occupied.

An interesting bit of history Helen :)

Interesting back story, processing suits the picture and the story. Hopefully these places, and sacrifices made, will never be forgotten.

That most certainly fits the theme. There must be so many of those old WWII airfields across Britain. I know we have one near us that was a possible site of London's third airport until Stansted was chosen.

So appropriate to choose to present it in monochrome.

Nice shot (as always Helen), and a perfect fit for the theme. Good backstory

Agreed, B&W fits with the forgotten airfield vibe nicely.

That's a lovely image, from the puddles to the shapes of the clouds.
The background story is very interesting, and that's the kind of place I love to visit and try to imagine what it was like when occupied.

An interesting bit of history Helen :)

Interesting back story, processing suits the picture and the story. Hopefully these places, and sacrifices made, will never be forgotten.

Local history, fascinating stuff.

Thanks for dropping by. Have to say it's peaked my interest in these areas.

Unusual for me, I was going to play around with the processing on this but having already had one power outage this morning and the storm hasn't hit us quite yet I want to get it posted while I can. To over-dramatise the sky I used LR select sky and am not wildly impressed.. the selection seems a bit harsh?

PW6A6590 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

Suitably spooky Helen :)

That works!

Certainly the selection is a bit hard edged and could do with being softened, and extended into the stonework a bit.

Yep, looks good to me too, but I'm not a LR user or knowledgable enough to completely understand how that processing works. I’d be happy with this though (y)

Definitely looks spooky so fits the bill. Viewing on an iPad so can’t comment on the sky really

Suitably spooky Helen :)

That works!

Certainly the selection is a bit hard edged and could do with being softened, and extended into the stonework a bit.
Thanks @Boots. I agree, but don't think its a shot worth spending too much time on.

Works for me, foreboding feel to it.

Great composition and suitably atmospheric :)

Yep, looks good to me too, but I'm not a LR user or knowledgable enough to completely understand how that processing works. I’d be happy with this though (y)

Definitely looks spooky so fits the bill. Viewing on an iPad so can’t comment on the sky really
Thanks very much for the comments.

A minimalist view Helen. Sunny scene with moody sky - my fave!

Catching up....
Robert Meen Balls - well spotted made me chuckle
Boat - it fits the theme but I wonder if moving to the left slightly (if that was possible) so the post didn't overlap the boat might have made a cleaner composition; although having said that I like the way you have lined up the two posts and the mast in a line and I like the way the wood leaning against the post points to the mast. Recently someone pointed out to me how I sometimes allow the horizon to slice through my subject which is not always good, so I've been trying to alter my height to ensure the subject is either completely above or below the horizon. I wonder what this image would have looked like if you had laid on the ground looking up at the boat and post?
Runway - Lots of lovely detail and it works well in mono
Ruin - I agree it seems LR select sky could have done better as there does seem to be a small halo around the building, but that may have been exaggerated if you processed the sky quite far with the contrast slider? You can edit the LR masks, maybe try going round the edge of the ruin with a brush and a low opacity to get a more even blend.
Captive - we have way too many of these sheds around the country, it's a very sad state something that I think future generations will look back on with horror. I like the composition with the big sky, representing freedom possibly?
Field - agree lovely lighting.

Captive - Nice sky detail and theme fitting.
Snappers Choice - Lovely colours Helen and a nice spot of sun at the right time.

Pete

Captive- the mono suits the theme, Nicky sums it up well

Snappers choice , lovely scene and colours though I keep looking at the chimney now :)

A minimalist view Helen. Sunny scene with moody sky - my fave!

Catching up....
Robert Meen Balls - well spotted made me chuckle
Boat - it fits the theme but I wonder if moving to the left slightly (if that was possible) so the post didn't overlap the boat might have made a cleaner composition; although having said that I like the way you have lined up the two posts and the mast in a line and I like the way the wood leaning against the post points to the mast. Recently someone pointed out to me how I sometimes allow the horizon to slice through my subject which is not always good, so I've been trying to alter my height to ensure the subject is either completely above or below the horizon. I wonder what this image would have looked like if you had laid on the ground looking up at the boat and post?
Runway - Lots of lovely detail and it works well in mono
Ruin - I agree it seems LR select sky could have done better as there does seem to be a small halo around the building, but that may have been exaggerated if you processed the sky quite far with the contrast slider? You can edit the LR masks, maybe try going round the edge of the ruin with a brush and a low opacity to get a more even blend.
Captive - we have way too many of these sheds around the country, it's a very sad state something that I think future generations will look back on with horror. I like the composition with the big sky, representing freedom possibly?
Field - agree lovely lighting.
@n1kcy cy: Thanks for the comprehensive catch up comments. Much appreciated.
Captive - Nice sky detail and theme fitting.
Snappers Choice - Lovely colours Helen and a nice spot of sun at the right time.

Pete

A lovely scene Helen - subtle colours and great thirds!

Captive- the mono suits the theme, Nicky sums it up well

Snappers choice , lovely scene and colours though I keep looking at the chimney now :)

@nog I only noticed the chimney after I'd posted it... now I keep seeing it too!
Great light on the field

Sometimes the simpler the better. Well spotted and executed.

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Yep - nice lines and shapes :)

Like the angles and the contrast between the Hut? on the LHS and other colours

Love the ICM and nice subtle arrows shot :)

Back