Helena, dancing

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
My friend's daughter Helena is just 11. She's been an associate student at the Royal Ballet School for a while now; she'll soon be off to a different boarding school to begin her formal dance training.
I first photographed her about a year ago. She's developed since then.

We didn't have much of a plan for the shoot and I didn't know the location at all, I just knew that it was going to an 'industrial-ish' looking space. Here's some of what we made!

SC2_5999-Edit.jpgSC2_6026-Edit-2.jpgSC2_6061-Edit.jpgSC2_6089-Edit-Edit.jpgSC2_6101-Edit-Edit.jpgSC2_6121-Edit-Edit.jpg

Anyway.. lots of lights. The B&W are probably the most interesting..
- AD360 in 7" dish pretending to be the sun, just seen
- Small speedlite to wrap the fake sun and cast some light into the eyes, outside and just out of sight behind the shutter
- Smidge of fill bounced off the wall behind the camera.
- AD600Pro in a long throw reflector outside, aimed at the wall and cars opposite to make then go nearly pure white. The background was really messy, I wanted it to go away!

Blimey, has something changed on the forum since I lasted posted any pics? These are soft as a mushy thing in a jelly factory.
Just had the same issue. Ended up putting it on Flickr and linking. Attachments (which I prefer) are compressed all to hell.

Flickr with longest side 1024 does the trick, Simon.

As you know, I think these are a lovely, classy set of images. Well done!

Thanks! And thanks again!

Is Flickr really the only alternative?
I have no idea, but I do know that the site system isn’t fit for purpose. I just went with the easiest and that’s Flickr.

You do know that you can get 1000 images free on flicker?
If you fill that just start a new new one.
obviously a different email sign in is required

There is free gallery space right here. ( top title bar)

How to guide

Its also seems that if you have your browser settings to more than 100% that also impacts on the image display.

You do know that you can get 1000 images free on flicker?
If you fill that just start a new new one.
obviously a different email sign in is required

There is free gallery space right here. ( top title bar)

How to guide

Its also seems that if you have your browser settings to more than 100% that also impacts on the image display.
Helpful, thanks, but it does seem that something has changed in the last few months & needs fixing.

Helpful, thanks, but it does seem that something has changed in the last few months & needs fixing.
Nothing has changed or has been changed.
The occasional soft images "compliant" appears from time to time, and is always looked into, with the same result.
Nothing has changed.

BTW I did speak to T'other Chris about this, and his comment was
<Xenforo caches all images and probably applies some compression and I guess isn't using the best compression algorithms.>

It does seem to affect some images more than others, and has been noted occasionally for years.

When I did a test, with my images, TP gallery, Flickr & attachments, attachments seemed to be affected more than the other two,
Chris also said that he would look into it. ( but so far nothing is obvious other than the above)
I suggest avoiding attachments if at all possible.

Hiya these are lovely. It is a shame the quality is not being diplayed so we can apprecite your hard work.

If you don't mind me asking, how are those lite ?

Gaz

Hiya these are lovely. It is a shame the quality is not being diplayed so we can apprecite your hard work.

If you don't mind me asking, how are those lite ?

Gaz
Cheers Gaz

Colour shots

- Large gridded octa angled steeply down & feathered forward just off Helena. That was a QT1200 for the short flash duration.
- CTB gelled 7" dish camera right, firing behind Helena to make the shutters go blue
- CTO gelled stripbox horizontally for the warm toned fill, the oranges on the shutters & rim light on Helena. TBH that one is rather clumsily positioned, I was trying to make it do 3 jobs at once.
- CTB gelled speedlite camera left - clamped to the pillar you can just see - to put a little more blue on the drape

B&W
- AD360 in 7" dish pretending to be the sun, just seen
- Small speedlite to wrap the fake sun and cast some light into the eyes, outside and just out of sight behind the shutter
- Smidge of fill bounced off the wall behind the camera.
- AD600Pro in a long throw reflector outside, aimed at the wall and cars opposite to make then go nearly pure white. The background was really messy, I wanted it to go away!

They have all been through photoshop, mainly removing background crud but with some dodging and burning & colour work too.

Colour shots

- Large gridded octa angled steeply down & feathered forward just off Helena. That was a QT1200 for the short flash duration.
- CTB gelled 7" dish camera right, firing behind Helena to make the shutters go blue
- CTO gelled stripbox horizontally for the warm toned fill, the oranges on the shutters & rim light on Helena. TBH that one is rather clumsily positioned, I was trying to make it do 3 jobs at once.
- CTB gelled speedlite camera left - clamped to the pillar you can just see - to put a little more blue on the drape
Jeez

That's quite a bit to get your head around.

Always like to see images with that warm and cool feel to them. Plus the wardrobe completes the look.

I really appreciate you taking the time to divulge your process.

Gaz

Jeez

That's quite a bit to get your head around.

Always like to see images with that warm and cool feel to them. Plus the wardrobe completes the look.

I really appreciate you taking the time to divulge your process.

Gaz
It sounds rather complex but the process isn't like that. I don't (often) set out to light a scene with 4 strobes, I do one light at a time until I get the result I was after (or alternatively, one which I just like!)

All lovely pictures Simon.

I'm normally a colour person but I do like those last three.

All excellently done :D

Back