Hello Everybody

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

My name is Jon, I'm 41 and live in Suffolk. I have a soon to be, teenage daughter (in two days) who is a budding photographer.

I'll be honest and admit that I'm just here in the hope that one of you lovely peeps would kindly advise a very panicked parent, re pending birthday present pretty please?

I'll probably hang around and soak up some info in future as her interest grows (hopefully) I've always been interested in photography myself but it's not something I've explored.

So here's my problem...

I feel totally out of my depth, my head is spinning with information overload as I try to find her a suitable camera (light, versatile, great images, changeable lens', something she can grow with but not too complicated and most importantly sub £400- asking too much??) I've been looking at Nikon 3300d and Sony A5000 mainly- any advice would be HUGELY appreciated)

Really sorry to join and ask for advise straight away, if I had more time id search the forums but I'm really running out of time now and I've only just had the genius (I hope) idea of joining a
forum to ask the people that really know.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Jon

Welcome and congratulations on the impending birthday - best wishes for the teenage years for all the family.

I'd suggest a used Nikon D90 and perhaps the kit lens 18-105 which should come in around £350 from MPB photographic. A pretty impressive starting kit.

The Tamron 18-50vr is a good alternative. And maybe also the Nikon 35mm but it might push the budget.

BTW, don't be concerned about second hand, especially from MPB and the likes, as you will get much more for your money. Starting at the bottom end of the new market isn't always the best option in terms of value.

Thank you so much for your congratulations and best wishes for the teenage years- just hope they're nothing like mine were, for all of us

I really do appreciate your response and warm welcome.

I hadn't really considered second hand to be honest but am willing to go down that road- the lack of warranty worries me a little but I don't really know enough to make a call on that. Are there no issues with wear and tear on cameras? I imagined the shutter motor to have a limited life (please bear in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about) Or are they generally serviceable and repairable?

Thanks again

MPB will offer a six month warranty and are very trustworthy in my experience and from what others say here.

Take a look at shutter count - a D90 is rated for 150,000 I think so getting one with less than 30k is an excellent option.

:welcome: to the forum Jon :wave:

You'll have no issues with MPB, very reliable and trustworthy.

Hi Jon, And welcome aboard TP. "Enjoy".

Hi Jon and welcome. My suggestion would be a used Nikon D7000 and a 18-105 vr. You could get a good low shutter count for your budget.

Back