Hello!!!

Name
Rebecca
Edit My Images
No
Hiya :) im new to photography and was wondering if any one would be kind enough to give me some tips!! im thinking bout getting a camera but im not quite sure which one would be suitable for me!! i was thinking about getting a digital SLR??

xxxx

definately a DSLR make sure you read some photography books before hand just to understand basics on aperture shutter speed ISO ect as its tricky when your dropped in the deep end with a DSLR and you cant use the camera to its full potential.
And welcome!

hi and:welcome:, alot depends on how much you have to spend and how much you want to go out and take pics. If i was just starting i would properly go for a dslr like a canon 400 or 350 or somthing from nikon about the same entry level as the canon(y)

Thanks for the tips !! erm.. another thing is what photo software would u recommend? xx

Hi Rebecca and Welcome to TP :wave:
with the name and avatar i'm assuming you're not a 6'4 lumberjack with hands like shovels, so the system you're looking at investing in needs to fit your hands.
best bet is to go to a dealers and have a fondle :nuts: oooeeer of the cameras available.
All of the DSLR's on the market are very capable, it's just that some systems have been around more, so second user lenses etc are more abundant.
you haven't mentioned budget? good glass is Very Expensive, this site will do wonders for your photos but terrible things to your bank balance!
systems to investigate would be Canon - most common :love:, Nikon, :razz: olympus :thinking: pentax, (y)
the newcomers, Sony, samsung etc I dont have any experience of, maybe someone with that experience may like to comment ?
so dont just think camera, you need to think lenses, flash, etc before you commit to a system, because it's expensive to swap systems

just my 2p

I'm not biased at all.. honest :canon:

I think we should do a new tp fhm type calender with all the girls coming on here :D

I started with a samsung gx1l (still have it) It's a great little camera nice and light for carrying around and came with two lenses, only problem i had was the bug took hold faster than i thought and was a struggle to get add-ons for the samsung so switched to canon

What is your budget?
What do you want to achieve with your shots, just snaps or something more serious?

:LOL: @ Hands like shovels!

I agree with Dave.. best thing to do is go play with the cameras. It's an expensive hobby, and well worth it in my IMO :)

Nikon and Canon :)shake:) are the most common, and have the most second hand equipment availalbe.

Speaking from a Nikon point of view, The D40x (now discontinued) is a very capable camera, at around £400 including the kit lens. The D60 is very similar to the D40x, but will probably be a bit more price wise. Only downside to the D40x & the D60 is the fact that it doesn't have an internal autofocus motor, which means that only certain types of lens (those with an autofocus motor built into the lens) will work on the camera.

The next step up is the Nikon D80, which is a great camera, very capable and one step below the Nikon "pro" cameras. Of course, I'm a bit biased as I've got a D80 :D

Oh... and welcome :wave:

Yeah iv been researching and it can be really expensive but im not to worried about the budget!! x

Yeah iv been researching and it can be really expensive but im not to worried about the budget!! x

In that case I reckon the 1Ds Mark 3, 35L, 85L, 70-200/2.8 IS, 300/2.8 IS and a 580EX2 to start with! You might get a bit of chance from £13,000. :LOL:

Seriously a budget really would help Rebecca. :)

LOL ok!! mite just go order one now then!!

Erm.... i wouldnt mind going up to £700 for a camera if that helps xxx

Welcome Rebecca :). Step 1 - visit a high street retailer to play with the currently available range from Nikon, Canon et al, and pick one that you like. Step 2 - check camerapricebuster.co.uk to find the cheapest price. Step 3 - post photos on here.

Mark

One small point is that the camera make is not so very important. As has been mentioned, the feel of it, the weight, and the cost are much more important.
If you enjoy using it, then you will want to take more pictures. If you enjoy using it, and have money to spare, then get more lenses, a flash, tripod etc.
First thing to consider is what do you want to take pictures of ?
If you don't know yet, then a second hand body with kit lens is a good start, as you can learn and then maybe sell on if you want to go further with little loss, and you can also find out what you like taking pictures of, and then buy whatever will help you.
Software - I would suggest trying something like Picasa, as it is free (do a google and download it).
Do not feel that you need to spend lots of money on anything at this stage - you can do that later - and we will all help you do that !

As mentioned, the 2 main brands are Canon and Nikon.

For that price (buying new) you are either looking at a Nikon D80 with a kit lens or a Canon 450D with a kit lens.

I would recommend going down to your local camera shop and holding both, see which feels most comfortable in your hands. Then order online from someone like http://www.warehouseexpress.com because you will more likely get a better price. :) The kit lens will be fine to get you started with and later you can maybe add a longer lens and external flashgun.

Thanks for the tips !! erm.. another thing is what photo software would u recommend? xx

Photoshop = expensive, but cheaper if you are a student

Paint Shop Pro = cheaper

Gimp = free

welcome:)

Welcome to TP

I definately agree that getting hold of a couple of cameras and deciding which feels right is a good step. However, you are not only going to buy a camera you are going to buy in to a system of accessories and lenses so I would suggest that you think about the future and look at what the systems offer.

In my opinion Canon and Nikon are probably the safest choices regarding systems as they both have extensive kit at all levels and a wide choice in S/H kit, there are pros and cons with each system and despite what people will tell you neither is overall better than the other. The others Olympus, Pentax / Samsung and Sony all have reasonable collections of lenses and accessories available but they tend to be slightly more expensive and there is less availablility S/H (as supported by Macky799 with his experience of the Samsung) but worth considering if you have deep pockets.

£700 should get you set up nicely with an entry-level DSLR with 2 consumer lenses or a mid-level DSLR with 1 consumer lens. Although if you feel confident buying S/H it's worth a look to see what you can get.

I've got no idea what camera you should get and to be totally honest, it makes little difference anyway. It's all about pointing it stuff and not what it's spec list is. :)

What I do know is that next time I want a BIG response to a thread I shall use a pic like yours and call myself Jennifer. ;)

I've got no idea what camera you should get and to be totally honest, it makes little difference anyway. It's all about pointing it stuff and not what it's spec list is. :)

What I do know is that next time I want a BIG response to a thread I shall use a pic like yours and call myself Jennifer. ;)

Was thinking the same thing :wacky:

so it's decided then, the avatar is a spoof and we really do have a 6'4 lumberjane among us :naughty: :LOL::LOL:

Just remember the words of the"lumberjack song":naughty:

so to summarise

go to a camera shop and have a good look at the cameras, gets hands on with them and decide what feels best for comfort and grip.

dont buy instore, research prices then go back to store if they will price match

photoshop elements should do everything you need and isnt too badly priced.

if you are stuck deciding on which camera from a shortlist then post here, we can give you our own experiences and you can choose from there!

finally

welcome along!

Hiya :) im new to photography and was wondering if any one would be kind enough to give me some tips!! im thinking bout getting a camera but im not quite sure which one would be suitable for me!! i was thinking about getting a digital SLR??

xxxx
Hi Rebecca, I have a Nikon D40X with kit lens and also a Nikon 55-200 lens with VR (Vibration Reduction).
I really like this camera as it is relatively small and light compared to other DSLR's. It is also very easy to learn how to use. It has Auto, and several presets as well as more advanced controls, which means you can still take some photos before you get the hang of the more advanced features.

Hi:)

Firstly, remember you're buying a camera system (body, lenses, flash, accessories), not just a camera;)

Second, go to a camera shop and try some different models. See how they feel in your hands.

Thirdly, got to http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ and buy it online...

Some pointers, if I may - £700 can get you a lot of average, or a couple of decent bits of gear. Quality beats quantity, at least in terms of camera lenses... Whay you get depends on what you want to do with it. For portraits, the 50mm or 85mm f1/8 would be a great lens to have.

Go have a play, don't read too many reviews, and ask loads of questions!

Enjoy...

What everyone seems to have forgotten Rebecca (wonder what distracted them!) is that if you can get to the NEC over the next few days, there is a show on that you can have a good look at all the equipment you want.
You may even get a good deal. Would be worth the trip. ;)

erm did I mention that I'm going on Sunday??:naughty:

I'm easy to spot. Grey with big ears....

Back