Name
Ann Louise Harrisskitt
Edit My Images
No
I started taking photos five years ago. I had never had any training and I didn’t know how to use a camera, (in fact, I had never even owned a camera before). But basically, I went out with a friend and borrowed their camera, and although it was on auto, I just knew it was something I had to learn. So, in a moment of craziness, I signed up for a BA in photography!!! Yes, yes, I know I’m bonkers… And to be completely honest, I didn’t really expect to get in… But I did!

Then it was a crazy rush to find a camera, followed by several hours of reading the instruction manual from cover to cover. Feeling completely and utterly confused, spending an entire weekend photographing everything and anything, downloading the images, and, hating them all! Followed by the realisation that photography wasn’t as easy as I thought it was, and then panicking about my recently accepted, spur of the moment uni application. So, I booked a day of basic camera training with a pro photographer, (which helped me a great deal), and I jumped feet first into the abyss.

To be honest, the course wasn’t very hands on or practical at all. It was mostly about other photographers, and because I’d had no experience, I felt completely out of my depth. However, by some small miracle, I managed to pass the first part of the course and I was beginning to feel more confident. But then, sadly, my nine year old son died, and my mental health was (understandably I think) not great. I dropped off the course and didn’t take any photos for a very long time. Shortly afterwards, my mum got ill, and I spent a couple of years looking after her until she passed. Then I jumped back on the course a few months ago, (and I just about managed to finish my assessment on time). So, my photography journey thus far has been very stilted, and although I’ve (technically) been taking photos for five years, in reality it’s probably been less than two.

I’m still not the very confident in my work, as I’m still pretty inexperienced, and I’m also not that great at editing. However, I’ve improved a lot, and I’m enjoying my learning journey. I feel like I have a lot to learn still. So I’m hoping to find inspiration, get feedback, and bounce some ideas off you lovely people.

Anyway, sorry for the long introduction. And, if you’ve got this far, thanks for reading.

Hi AnnLouise, sounds like you've had through a very bad journey of late.

Well done for sticking to your plan, enjoy the forum and have some fun here :)

Welcome to the site, and thanks for your introduction of yourself. My condolences on your sad and tragic losses.
There is a wealth of experience and knowledge on the site, from an eclectic mix of pro's, semi-pro's and enthusiastic amateurs, most of us being forever aspirational and still learning. Please share your work, whether for critique of just for pleasure, and we'd love you to participate in our various challenges that are ongoing, which we are looking to extend next year.

Hi AnneLouise, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"

Welcome to the site, and thanks for your introduction of yourself. My condolences on your sad and tragic losses.
There is a wealth of experience and knowledge on the site, from an eclectic mix of pro's, semi-pro's and enthusiastic amateurs, most of us being forever aspirational and still learning. Please share your work, whether for critique of just for pleasure, and we'd love you to participate in our various challenges that are ongoing, which we are looking to extend next year.
Thank you. I will have a proper look next week. I’m a Scout leader and we are on camp this weekend, but I will definitely join some challenges on here

Hi AnneLouise, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"
Thank you, I will definitely be posting and asking questions soon

Thank you. I will have a proper look next week. I’m a Scout leader and we are on camp this weekend, but I will definitely join some challenges on here
In that case, it'll be interesting to hear if there is a Photography related badge the scouts can work on, and any ways in which we can support that

A warm welcome to our happy band of misfits :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Les :)

In that case, it'll be interesting to hear if there is a Photography related badge the scouts can work on, and any ways in which we can support that
Sadly, they won’t allow me to do that because it’s cost prohibitive and we have to stick to a set plan. I think it’s a great idea though.

I processed my first roll of film for my Photography Badge in scouts, it's a slippery slope :LOL:
When was that? Lol! There isn’t a photography badge in scouts now, (or at least not for my age group). Most of my current are six year olds, but I’m moving to squirrels next month, and almost all of them are barely four years old.

That’s great. But sadly, (as explained previously), it’s not part of what my age group does. There is no badge for it, (it’s not in our set annual badge planner). Photography will be a badge for older children, (and also for groups which have the necessary equipment).

To be fair, I can understand why we don’t have a photography badge in our group, because most four year olds don’t own digital cameras and mobile phones, (both of which are required to complete the badge challenge).

We also accept special needs children with developmental delay, so it would be like handing your phone and camera to a toddler and letting them wander off with them, (potentially dropping them, falling over with them, smashing them against something in a strop, pulling off the buttons, etc). And with a ratio of four children to one adult, it would be impossible to guarantee that this wouldn’t happen, (and we could not afford to replace or fix them when they get damaged).

We also have to be inclusive as part of the scout law. Meaning that unless every child can participate in that challenge, (ie, every child must have access to their own camera and their own mobile phone), then it’s not a workable activity. So even if we did have a photography badge for the younger age group, unfortunately, we don’t have the funds to purchase the cameras and phones anyway, so it’s a non-starter really.

Back