My Singer Photos

Fuji Dave

I'm in Clover
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks, every summer I try to take photos of the buskers at a pub on the seafront, is there a better way I can take this sort of shot. Camera was Canon 70D & lens was 70-200mm f/4 IS, I know this shot is not good at all, but would like some advice on how to do better. Oh yeah, know chance of her moving away from the glass doors.

Sarah by David Ore, on Flickr

Last edited:
Use a polarising filter, the reflections in her glasses will disappear or turn black! depending on how you turn your polarising filter - if it's a linear one.
If you have a circular one - you would just have to see what happens - it's closely related to magic.
The reflections in the glass doors would go and there will be an effect on colours.

Last edited:
Use a polarising filter, the reflections in her glasses will disappear or turn black! depending on how you turn your polarising filter - if it's a linear one.
If you have a circular one - you would just have to see what happens - it's closely related to magic.
The reflections in the glass doors would go and there will be an effect on colours.

Thank you very much Ken, I do have a Hoya Pro digital circular polarising filter, so will give that a go next time (y)

Try getting a little lower to change the perspective a tad may help as well.

Thank you too Mark, good idea (y)

If the available light is scrapping your efforts, a solution
opens up then and some should not be considered.

NOT TO BE CONSIDERED

A polarizer… circular or not. As I see it, the available light
is not great so a pol. would only make the captures more
difficult not to say that focusing will be almost impossible.

OPENNED SOLUTION

If light is working againts you, make one that will for you!
In such case, I would not hesitate to use flash and control
the outcome. Some important work in setting, calibrating
power ratios and unison trigger will be imperative prior to
the shooting session.

That is if you have enough power heads /units and that the
use of these is permitted.

IF NOT…
Then you will have to be very creative and quite
athletic at
avoiding unavoidable reflection until it dark.

NOT TO BE CONSIDERED

OPENNED SOLUTION

the shooting session.

IF NOT…
athletic at

Thank you Kodiak for the advice, the sad thing is I only have the flash on my camera.

Thank you Kodiak for the advice, the sad thing is I only have the flash on my camera.

… Ooooooops! GOOD LUCK, David!

NOT TO BE CONSIDERED

OPENNED SOLUTION

the shooting session.

IF NOT…
athletic at

I beg to differ - f8, 1 /250, ISO 100 - plenty room for maneuver considering the benefits.

Last edited:
I beg to differ - f8, 1 /250, ISO 100 - plenty room for maneuver.

Yes,you're right Ken but just for as long as there is plenty of daylight.
The AF will sweat to death @ ƒ4 and the stolen light by the polarizer.

Last edited:
Yes,you're right Ken but just for as long as there is plenty of daylight.
The AF will sweat to death @ ƒ4 and the stolen light by the polarizer.

It's only at ISO 100.

... Canon says that its Dual Pixel AF system, in contrast, works across an area 80% of the frame width and height, in light levels as low as 0 EV, and at apertures down to F11

I will give Kens idea a go with the Polariser, as it can`t make it worse :)

Polariser chat aside, the reflections don't bother me, and the reflections in her shades compliment the image massively for me.

It's the dead space that spoils she shot I think. Have you tried a crop that takes out the dead space over her head, and the lower part of her body from beneath her left elbow and down. This would create a square-ish crop which some like - some don't, but IMO would be more pleasing than the current view. If you really don't like square, then it could stand to lose the space to her right (viewer left) but not the space that her left hand is leading into. I think playing around with the crop could improve the image.

For me - the colours could do with a punch too. That blue is pretty much the only colour in the image and could stand a subtle lift.

I actually think it's a nice image. In focus where it needs to be, has a striking colour and some nice lines, and the reflections in the glasses are what takes it from a snapshot to well above that (those vertical lines compliment what she's wearing).

Maybe consider developing it as a project?

Polariser chat aside, the reflections don't bother me, and the reflections in her shades compliment the image massively for me.

It's the dead space that spoils she shot I think. Have you tried a crop that takes out the dead space over her head, and the lower part of her body from beneath her left elbow and down. This would create a square-ish crop which some like - some don't, but IMO would be more pleasing than the current view. If you really don't like square, then it could stand to lose the space to her right (viewer left) but not the space that her left hand is leading into. I think playing around with the crop could improve the image.

For me - the colours could do with a punch too. That blue is pretty much the only colour in the image and could stand a subtle lift.

I actually think it's a nice image. In focus where it needs to be, has a striking colour and some nice lines, and the reflections in the glasses are what takes it from a snapshot to well above that (those vertical lines compliment what she's wearing).

Maybe consider developing it as a project?

Thank you Ian, I do have quite a few of Sarah and all taken in Raw so I will put another up, but cropped :)

I agree with Ian @Harlequin565, a little judicious cropping and a colour boost in pp would elevate this portrait.
I appreciate that some would say (correctly) that its best to get it right in camera but the moment has now passed. You could go back with a polariser, flash etc and the scene will be lit differently.

This just needs a little polish and it'll shine. I particularly like the reflections in her sunglasses, they give a sense of place and environment.

I think a less frontal shot or a moment where the mic isn't right in her face would be stronger. les frontal would also reduce the reflections. I wouldn't boost any collors just ad some clarity. Others already mentioned the crop, i follow there. I always try t avoid lines coming out of her head

Last edited:
#1 is better but could still do with a crop. This was my hasty attempt (please PM me if you want this taken down - you're an "Edit - yes"-er)
17932-1490475196-71b8bdbfe7e763f398a9f6f6a5bbca44.jpg

I cropped it square, desaturated the reds a little, almost completely desaturated the ketchup bottle (with a really bad mask - pls ignore her r shoulder), cleaned the glass up a bit with spot healing and pumped the cyan and yellow (mask for the specs only) and gave the bg a bit more blur. I'd probably look at sharpening but with a screen grab it wasn't worth it.

#2 I don't like. The rust(?) stain down the brickwork and the expression don't do it for me. But that's *just me*. I used to see Springsteen on TOTP and wonder whether he just needed to pop to the loo. It's put me off this type of expression for life. The left hand is indicating space that's not there. However I really like the crop, but I love "landscape" portraits.

I always try t avoid lines coming out of her head
Good advice this.

In short.
- Watch your backgrounds
- You're working with a zoom. Take time to experiment with different focal lengths and try different comps to see what you like best.

#1 is better but could still do with a crop. This was my hasty attempt (please PM me if you want this taken down - you're an "Edit - yes"-er)
17932-1490475196-71b8bdbfe7e763f398a9f6f6a5bbca44.jpg

I cropped it square, desaturated the reds a little, almost completely desaturated the ketchup bottle (with a really bad mask - pls ignore her r shoulder), cleaned the glass up a bit with spot healing and pumped the cyan and yellow (mask for the specs only) and gave the bg a bit more blur. I'd probably look at sharpening but with a screen grab it wasn't worth it.

#2 I don't like. The rust(?) stain down the brickwork and the expression don't do it for me. But that's *just me*. I used to see Springsteen on TOTP and wonder whether he just needed to pop to the loo. It's put me off this type of expression for life. The left hand is indicating space that's not there. However I really like the crop, but I love "landscape" portraits.

Good advice this.

In short.
- Watch your backgrounds
- You're working with a zoom. Take time to experiment with different focal lengths and try different comps to see what you like best.

Thank you Ian, and PLEASE leave it up as I have to learn, and with all the help I will get it :)

Darn, others beat me to the re-process! I guess the point is 'Don't underestimate what you can do in Photoshop'.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="Nhme1r4"><a href="//imgur.com/Nhme1r4">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thank you too Darren, even though I have had PS/LR for a year I am only still learning, as the last few months I have actually just started to use PS more :)

Just remember that you're the person you're trying to please with your photos. If you're trying to sell them, you have to please your customers. But if they're for you - then if you like them as-is, then that's ok.
With feedback, it's very much a case of "take what you like & leave the rest". But the more feedback you can garner, the more likely you'll find something useful.

Good luck with the rest of your project. Have a look at Martin Parr's work, or Nick Turpin, or Matt Stuart. A good way to add life to your buskers is to try and add a bit of context or tell a story - usually by including a bit more background. Your #1 image has that wonderful reflection that (to me) makes me wonder what it is she's singing to - and this adds to the story by putting the background on your subject. It's this engagement you want to try and elicit from your viewer, and that's the reason I took the time to comment - because it was worth more than "nice shot".

Just remember that you're the person you're trying to please with your photos. If you're trying to sell them, you have to please your customers. But if they're for you - then if you like them as-is, then that's ok.
With feedback, it's very much a case of "take what you like & leave the rest". But the more feedback you can garner, the more likely you'll find something useful.

Good luck with the rest of your project. Have a look at Martin Parr's work, or Nick Turpin, or Matt Stuart. A good way to add life to your buskers is to try and add a bit of context or tell a story - usually by including a bit more background. Your #1 image has that wonderful reflection that (to me) makes me wonder what it is she's singing to - and this adds to the story by putting the background on your subject. It's this engagement you want to try and elicit from your viewer, and that's the reason I took the time to comment - because it was worth more than "nice shot".

Since I have known two of the singers, I put the photos on their Facebook page and then they share them, and always say taken by David Ore.

As Harlequin565 said "Just remember that you're the person you're trying to please with your photos. If you're trying to sell them, you have to please your customers. But if they're for you - then if you like them as-is, then that's ok. " and I think that's the best advice or you risk missing images by overthinking them, I know I've been there!
I did a shoot in my garden the other week and the MUA said the reflections of the summer house were a distraction, Tomatoes Tomaytoes, I don't mind the reflections and they will remain in but every shot is different. At the end of the day please yourself and not others.

by
Brian Lewicki,
on Flickr​

If you're just getting into PS & you don't already have it I'd highly recommend the Nik Collection of plugins. It's free, high quality & really bloody useful!
Google Nik Collection

Thanks for that Darren, I do have that and think it is great :)

As Harlequin565 said "Just remember that you're the person you're trying to please with your photos. If you're trying to sell them, you have to please your customers. But if they're for you - then if you like them as-is, then that's ok. " and I think that's the best advice or you risk missing images by overthinking them, I know I've been there!
I did a shoot in my garden the other week and the MUA said the reflections of the summer house were a distraction, Tomatoes Tomaytoes, I don't mind the reflections and they will remain in but every shot is different. At the end of the day please yourself and not others.

by
Brian Lewicki,
on Flickr​

Thank you too Brian, for the good advice. I think my problem sometimes can be I try to push my self too much, even with the reflections in shot I do like the out come of them :)

So yesterday the sun was all over the place so tried a polariser filter, but took it off in the end. This busker is Abi Flynn, she is a hell of a singer and does the pubs and clubs all over. I popped the blue top more and red lipstick.

Abi Flynn by David Ore, on Flickr

Abi by David Ore, on Flickr

Abi Flynn by David Ore, on Flickr

Off most of the shots I took of Abi, I am quite chuffed as one minute the sun was right on her, then the next it was not. Abi is happy with them too.

#2. It conveys emotion.

#1 is the weakest. There's not a lot going on, and not much to capture my interest.

#2 has a strong impact. The colours are nice & vibrant (maybe the lips are a bit too red for me) but her top is a lovely vibrant blue. The tilt of her head and the slight frown shows she's really giving her all.

#3 isn't quite as good as #2. The white pillar forming the triangle in the lower half of the image is distracting and could be lost with a crop. Her jeans blend into the background anyway.

Can you find another vantage point? Both girls seem to be singing in the same spot and that pillar is a distraction. Also, you can clearly see the difference between shooting on an overcast day and a bright sunny day. Much harsher shadows on your latter shots, with virtually none on your first. Without shades, Abi would have likely been squinting which wouldn't make a great shot. However the sunlight adds vibrancy and life to the photo. Overall, I think I probably prefer the sunnier shots - even though I'm not a fan of the shadows. There's not a huge amount you can do about this - especially as you're limited by the weather.

I'm no expert though. Just my opinion :)

Singing as good as she looks?

2, 1 and 3… on that order, very cool takes, David! (y)

Back