Help:Can't work out 580EX

Edit My Images
Yes
When I try to go into the External flash C.Fn setting in the 40D menu it comes back with This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash of flashs power is turned off. I get the same from Clear ext. flash C.Fn set and the External Flash func setting menu only gives me Flash Exp Comp and E-|TTL II which I can set to evaluative or Average. I thought I would be able to fiddle with shutter sync to 2nd curtain and play with FEB as well.

Any ideas and sorry if I being a complete gonk.

Is this a 580EX I or II
Would be more helpful for people to help you.

Its a I.

Cheers.
But personally I dont think u can change the second-curtain, fill-flash etc on the camera itself ***.
I may be wrong however.

personally I dont think u can change the second-curtain, fill-flash etc on the camera itself ***.
I may be wrong however.
You are wrong.

BertRoot; I know that the 40D didn't recognise the 580EX as being compatible for in-camera flash operation at the time of its release, but I thought Canon were working on a firmware revision to solve this problem.

Apparently they weren't.

I've looked through all the revisions up to and including v1.1.1 and I can't see any mention of the 580EX compatibility issue being resolved.

Wow am astounded. Cheers glitch, dearest mistake I have had for a while.

I would have thought that some enterprising person would have hacked the firmware by now to allow for backwards compatibility, but all my searches have drawn a blank.

If I find anything I'll let you know, but I've checked the usual suspects and I'd have expected to find a sniff of something by now.

Bah, at least I can control it from the buttons on the flash so not all lost. A firmware hack would be good but I feel it may have been a log time since this should have reared its head.

I doubt the firmware hack will come! Would be nice though

Blinking flip Bob you have a lot of cameras and a photographic memory. Well done sir. I love the flash though now after having a play with it and having to do it on the flash ain't a biggy for me.

Cheers!!

Back