help. dancing shots

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
mrs is doing a commercial job. customer wants shots of a "come dancing experience" at a local country hall hotel.weve quoted em our commercial rate .and shes happy enough.
my question is, as they want dancing shots, but without obvious use of flash. do we use our continuous lighting, or the studio flash?
or go the ambient light , faster lens,higher iso route.
about three in the afternoon in a few weeks, so should be good light.
i prefer the ambient route, but as this could lead to other work from the hotel manager , we want to get it spot on.
weve already done a couple of weddings there, and the manager has loved our work so far. were supplying him with an album shortly to advertise his hotel, and obviously , our work.and shooting the receptionists wedding there ,later in the year.

shes asked us if a journo on the new "experience" could use a shot for the hotel chains "in house" mag.
weve agreed to this , on the basis that we receive credit for the shot.
also my gaffer is getting worried about colour caste from the hotels tungsten lighting. probably unduly to be honest. we would be greatfull for your opinions on this one. thanks
mark.

Ask them what sort of look they want as then you'll have more of an idea to help you out. You could just shoot in RAW and then you can change the white balance if your worried about getting colour cast

You could try a dummy shoot at the venue to see what problems there might be and whether the ambient light is enough - my guess is that it won't be unless you use very high ISO, which isn't really the right approach for a commercial shoot where people have a right to expect commercial quality.

Tungsten lights will be a waste of time - too distracting and nowhere near bright enough.

Flash neededn't look obvious, depends on the equipment you have and how you use it. Flash is the obvious answer, because it will provde plenty of light and freeze movement.

Colour cast from ambient tungsten or fluorescent lighting may be a real problem. In theory it's possible to correct colour cast in PS, but it won't work if the lighting is mixed with daylight, obviously you can correct for one but not for two.

even in raw, a colourcast can be difficult to shift.
i think our flash gear maybe the way to go if we havent the ambient.(decent studio kit). weve shot weddings there with ambient and some fill in flash.no probs.
the customer didnt want " dark backgrounds" as seen in on camera shots by some people.
it can be VERY well lit. windows everywhere. the prob can be having to use fill in , to get rid of shadow.
i think were going to see which room its planned in. the " great hall" is a beautifully light room in nice weather.
having spoken to my boss (swmbo) it seems the shots are mainly for participants in the "experience" .but the in house mag is an extra request from the client.
everything will be printed off site.for the participants and posted out.
a file or two for the in house journo.

What about taking the studio gear position one strobe high and facing you for a strong rim light (maybe with a gel?). Have that triggered from the flash on the hot shoe which is adding a bit of fill for the ambient light. Bit of a mix and match but basically adding to the existing light in a controlled way.

Back