Help Find Steve Fosset with Google Earth

Jimmy_Lemon

TPer Emeritus
Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
As most everyone knows by now, famed adventurer Steve Fossett went missing last Monday, September 3rd, after leaving a small airport in west Nevada in a small single-engine airplane with blue, white, and yellow colors on it. The area of Nevada where he went missing is very rugged terrain, and so far the search and rescue aircraft have not been able to locate the missing plane. New satellite imagery of the area taken by GeoEye has been taken. Amazon has produced a Help Find Steve Fossett web site which automatically provides you with an image to look at in the search area of new satellite imagery. You have to sign up and give your address to help with the search. If you see something in the small area which looks suspicious you're asked to flag it. The page also provides you with a network link which includes recently taken satellite imagery of the search area.

Source: http://www.gearthblog.com/

Thats one huge area wow, I've spent some time looking, marked a couple of spots but then I find I can't get the thing to register and send possible pinned bits... just me being stupid know doubt.

So, would you send them this reference Jimmy 38.2682163855, -119.443324293 ...zoom in , looks just like a plane to me, kinda hard to see nonetheless....scales kinda hard to see etc

Fab Idea with the google map init, good luck to them and him. (y)

good idea!
hope he gets found!
i love google earth!
:)

Thats one huge area wow, I've spent some time looking, marked a couple of spots but then I find I can't get the thing to register and send possible pinned bits... just me being stupid know doubt.

So, would you send them this reference Jimmy 38.2682163855, -119.443324293 ...zoom in , looks just like a plane to me, kinda hard to see nonetheless....scales kinda hard to see etc

Fab Idea with the google map init, good luck to them and him. (y)

Wow yeah that does look like a plane! I have registered but cant find a simple way to add the location so added in the comments of the HIT it was showing me...so hopefully they still see it :(

I'm not jokin guys, look at this one,..

38°28'55.69"N
119°24'18.13"W

Ill get a screenie up in a second.

King.

Screenie,... Obviously not the blue thing, thats just the tag I'm using and its not intended as a joke.

Zoomed in.

in.jpg

Zoomed Out

out.jpg

Somebody put this in a see what you think: 38.4821258839, -119.404940836

Just seen that posted on another webiste King...that sure is a plane! I am not sure it isnt flying though....

Yeah they havent made it simple at all...Click "Accpet this HIT" at the top and then under the two small images there are a Yes and No tick box...click yes and add your grid reference in the comments box and explain you have seen a plane there and not in the image small image above (that you are actually commenting on). Thats the only way round it seems.

That plane must be flying surely :shrug:

In dense woodland like that, I'd have thought you'd be looking at debris rather than an intact aircraft.

That plane must be flying surely :shrug:

In dense woodland like that, I'd have thought you'd be looking at debris rather than an intact aircraft.

Depends on how you went down really. You can belly flop these things at 40mph in the hands of the right pilot. That wouldnt could cause severe damage leaving the plane semi in tact/recognizable.

Depends on how you went down really. You can belly flop these things at 40mph in the hands of the right pilot. That wouldnt could cause severe damage leaving the plane semi in tact/recognizable.

But if the pilot had that degree of control when it went down, he'd have picked a spot a little more open like those a little further to the right.

Putting a small plane onto a tree top is going to make a mess of the airframe at any speed, even at 40mph I'd have expected to see the wings ripped off or deformed.

I've got nothing better to do, so I've been looking too. So far I've flagged about 3 or 4 locations, a couple of which are these:

38°33'27.37"N 119° 2'37.92"W
38°35'38.80"N 119°10'28.13"W

You still having issues with submitting possible sitings? And I checked yours last night King Boru but couldn't see it on those coordinates, yet I can now :shrug:

Have done a couple hundred plus of these now with 2 or 3 possibles, hope it works out well in the end.

Although even if poor Steve doesn't make it out alive but is found that is something for the family rather than just not knowing.

Back