Beginner help finding a projector

Edit My Images
No
Hello, can anyone tell me what kind of projector I would need for these slides? or even what kind of slides thy are?

the slides are 5.5cm x 5.5cm in 7cm x 7cm metal mounts, I've been searching all day but I just don't know where to start and feel like I'm looking in completely the wrong places

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this but if anyone can help or even point me in the direction of a helpful website it would be much appreciated

here's some links to photos of them:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/no_fate/slides.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/no_fate/slides2.jpg

oh also they say "johnsons color slides" on them but I've searched that and can't find anything :/

basically, you're looking for a "medium format" slide projector...

a bit like this - but basically, it's a matter of keeping your eyes peeled on fleabay for something that'll cope with medium format slides.

Problem is, slide projector bulbs were notoriously fragile things, and I'd be pretty worried about shipping something via a typical courier - especially as most of the ones s/h will be so old, the chances are the bulbs are pretty much obsolete now, so if the bulb goes, you're stuffed. So, its down to finding one locally, seeing it working, then letting it cool down properly before taking it home (the filaments in the bulb were at their most fragile when they'd just been on, and were warm!)

Hi izzy358, as mark says they are medium format slides, I still shoot them and will be mounting this summers batch over the winter. You might like to try a hand viewer to have a good look at them before going down the projector route. Medium format slide viewers do come up on Ebay fairly regularly. With regards to the projectors they too appear on Ebay but often sellers are asking silly money for them and often they are collect only. Try Ffordes, second hand photo dealer they usualyl have a few in stock with a fair price spread.

What TBY & Andrew says pretty much sums it up. mf projectors are pretty hard to come by, you might be lucky and find one cheap at a car boot or charity shop but from most photography shops if you can find one will charge a fair amount.

Do you actually want to project them or just be able to view them? If it's the latter the easiest would be to get them scanned so you can look at them on a monitor.

I see them occasionally in charity shops, I saw a Noris 6x6 slide projector in a charity shop in Newquay at the end of August, it was £20, an old 60's thing but it was boxed complete and looked like new.
Why did they paint things with muddy green hammerite in the 60's..???

I see them occasionally in charity shops, I saw a Noris 6x6 slide projector in a charity shop in Newquay at the end of August, it was £20, an old 60's thing but it was boxed complete and looked like new.
Why did they paint things with muddy green hammerite in the 60's..???

That's the very one I've got, mines that colour as well. Extremely well made bits of kit.

this is great, thanks so much for your help everyone! feel like I've got a place to start looking now, I've found a local antiques dealer who has some projectors we can have a look at but if medium slide projectors are hard to come by I'm not holding out much hope, and the bulbs being rare as well does worry me a bit as well if I'm honest,

Do you actually want to project them or just be able to view them? If it's the latter the easiest would be to get them scanned so you can look at them on a monitor.

we're wanting to project some old slides at a funeral so I'm wondering now if getting them scanned and maybe digitally projecting them might be a better option now, when you say 'get them scanned' is this a professional service we'd need to employ or something we could do our selves if you don't mind me asking?

thanks again,
Izzy

we're wanting to project some old slides at a funeral so I'm wondering now if getting them scanned and maybe digitally projecting them might be a better option now, when you say 'get them scanned' is this a professional service we'd need to employ or something we could do our selves if you don't mind me asking?

You can do it yourselves if you have a scanner capable of scanning negatives (most scanners can't - it needs a light-source in the lid). How many do you have to do?

Give the low resolution of most digital projectors you might be as well getting one of those camera in a box slide scanners used from ebay. They're pretty rubbish but might do for this particular application.

You can do it yourselves if you have a scanner capable of scanning negatives (most scanners can't - it needs a light-source in the lid). How many do you have to do?
oh right, we have about 80 slides all together but we're probably going to just pick out the best ones

Give the low resolution of most digital projectors you might be as well getting one of those camera in a box slide scanners used from ebay. They're pretty rubbish but might do for this particular application.
oh I haven't heard of those before but I will have a look into those too, thank you

You could send them to a company like Peak imaging to scan them for you. Looks like it is anywhere between £1 - £3 per slide depending on volume and scanning quality plus p&p.

Where are you based, Izzy? It's possible that a kind member here might scan a few slides for you if you're local to them.

To slightly hijack the thread, how good are mf projectors? I love shooting slide film in medium format - getting those little stained glass windows back is always a treat, but the density of the positives make them a pain to get clean scans from. I've always wondered the quality you'd get from a projector for them.

Back