Help-Grandchildren coming.

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
My grandchildren are coming down for their 3 monthly visit and I would like to get some portrait photos of them. I can only use my existing kit as I have spent my photography budget for this month!

I have Nikon D40X, Speedlite SB600 (no off camera lead), 2 desk lamps, DIY bounce card for flash,baking foil reflector, DIY soft box (cardboard box) and Manfrotto 190XBPro plus 804RC2 head.

Any suggestions on how to take best photos with my limited equipment would be welcome please.:help:

Sit them by a window - as long as it's not in direct sunlight, in fact an overcast day provides lovely window light, or just take the shots outside? Natural light every time if you can.

Yea do what CT.

Window lit on one side and then bounce back the lit on the other side to get rid of the shadows using the baking foil reflector.

Make sure the background is not messy (not much detail to the background, picture frames etc) This would therefore make them stand out from the background and not have any distracting elements in the background.

Just my thoughts....

Agree with trying to use natural available light - enabling you to concentrate on poses, composition etc.

Depending on their ages - if they're young enough to 'play' can you take them out onto the hills and get some actions shots with great backgrounds?

Whatever, try and get them to forget about the camera and get them giggling about something. Get down to their eye level to get good 'contact' with them.

If all else fails - bribery might be an option. :D

I'd take a mixture of very tight crops (because that's what I like :LOL:) and some with enough background to give you options to crop.

I find a tripod inhibiting and always try to work handheld, but I know lots of people don't agree with me :)

Good luck - and have fun with them. :)

Just my thoughts....

Agree with trying to use natural available light - enabling you to concentrate on poses, composition etc.

Depending on their ages - if they're young enough to 'play' can you take them out onto the hills and get some actions shots with great backgrounds?

Whatever, try and get them to forget about the camera and get them giggling about something. Get down to their eye level to get good 'contact' with them.

If all else fails - bribery might be an option. :D

I'd take a mixture of very tight crops (because that's what I like :LOL:) and some with enough background to give you options to crop.

I find a tripod inhibiting and always try to work handheld, but I know lots of people don't agree with me :)

Good luck - and have fun with them. :)

They're 8 and 5 and are a real pair of posers:)

Brilliant - just the right ages and attitudes for loadsa fun with them. :D

In that case, I'd try some props/dressing up. They'll probably suggest things, depending on their interests.

If possible - use music - gets them moving and forgetting about the camera.

Alternate between sets of action shots and sets of close ups. Each change of pace should give them new impetus!

If their motivation flags let them take a few of each other (with your help to protect your precious kit) and show them their handiwork.

Sounds as though they might need bribery for Gran when you are exhausted and they want to keep going. :LOL:

Sit them by a window - as long as it's not in direct sunlight, in fact an overcast day provides lovely window light, or just take the shots outside? Natural light every time if you can.

:agree: with that, bounced flash could help otherwise too.

Forget tripods if those kids are lively, just stick to your camera and flash.

Back