Beginner HELP : Green Screen

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Im after some urgent help, Im looking to purchase a green screen, lights and a stand.

Its for my brother who loves photography and is turning 40.

He was living abroad and member of a photography club there and he had to leave his job when our Dad got the big C.

Hes just joined another photography club but we wanted him to get a green screen, with the lights stands. As he does so much for the family.

None of the rest of the family have a clue, really would appreciate any advice dont want to spend a fortune but not to cheap. I have just seen some on Amazon and ebay. But just confused.

Hope you can help.

PS hope its in the right section.

Get him a voucher.. honestly, buying kit for someone else has more wrong answers than right ones.

Just the question "What lights?" could lead to a hundred pages of argument and suggestions ranging from £100 to £1000. And they probably still won't be the ones your brother would like! :D

I have thought of getting a voucher but seems a kop out. Lol.

I was looking at the the £100 range for the lights. Was looking at the starter kits. Which includes everything. But not sure thats the best option or buy seperately but havent got a clue. Whats a good easy to assemble stand but thats sturdy, fairly decent lights (£100), good cloth.

Did he previously have a green screen as you could try and identify it.

As Alastair said - might be easier to either get him vouchers or speak to him and find out what he wants.

Kiss360 no he's never had a green screen, but I know he would love it. I just wanted to buy him something so any advice would be appreciated.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Vouchers.. honestly. Get a physical Amazon voucher, put it in a pretty card with a genuine and heartfelt message and a wish that he spends it on something for his photography.

It's possible your brother would be happy with a cheap continuous lighting set-up, but I couldn't recommend it. Cheap studio-in-a-box set-ups are.. limiting.

I'd want the vouchers.. I hate having folk buy stuff for my hobbies when I probably have had something in mind to treat myself to for ages. And asking other people for suggestions only gets you answers saying what they want, not what your brother wants.

Vouchers.. honestly. Get a physical Amazon voucher, put it in a pretty card with a genuine and heartfelt message and a wish that he spends it on something for his photography.

It's possible your brother would be happy with a cheap continuous lighting set-up, but I couldn't recommend it. Cheap studio-in-a-box set-ups are.. limiting.

I'd want the vouchers.. I hate having folk buy stuff for my hobbies when I probably have had something in mind to treat myself to for ages. And asking other people for suggestions only gets you answers saying what they want, not what your brother wants.
This ^

I could recommend you some gear, but it'd be treble the price of the stuff you've picked and it'll do the job properly. But it might be overkill for your BiL or he might think it's cheap tat. We have no idea what he'd appreciate.

All I can say is that if you bought me that gear in your links I'd consider you'd completely wasted your money :(

Oh, what would you recommend then.

Get him a voucher

get him vouchers or speak to him and find out what he wants.

Vouchers.. honestly.

Just to add my tuppenceworth, I have a drawer full of stuff that people have gifted to me but which I've never used. Given (mostly) with good intentions but stuff that's of no real use to me. At the last count I had 4 of the little Gorillapod things - well, one genuine and 3 floppy copies!

This is an age old dilemma.... used to get about a dozen rolls of Boots 200 print film every Christmas and smile sweetly and say 'Thank you' when I opened them and thought "Oh gawd...three more rolls of print film... that's £25 worth of processing I'll have to find to use it!" As I shot mostly slide or B&W, I could develop in the kitchen sink for pennies.... shortly after opening the present, I was usually listening to " know it's not very exiting, but went into a camera shop and REALLY didn't know what else to get you you'd actually use". So, yup, it IS difficult... WE photograph's are difficult.

So, advice.. taking a different tack; I have more camera gear than I ever use on anything but an occasional basis. After opening a present that was two large tobelerones sandwiching two multi-packs of boots print film, from my Godmother once Christmas, and listening to the " really didn't know what to get you for your cameras"... I quipped she'd already given it me.... a 'view-finder'.... which perplexed her.. "I've never give you a camera?!" she queried... and took some explanation I wasn't talking about a view-finder camera, or a camera's view-finder, but a car, she'd helped me sort when I got my fist proper job after uni.... sh still looked a bit perplexed... "It's a view-finder! Helps me find views to take photo's of.. would have a lot of photo's of my living room or kitchen, or possibly the local park, without it!" I explained.

Cameras only take pictures. There's a lot of gadgets you can get to go with cameras to help take pictures, BUT, most important thing i having something to take a photo of.

Which begs suggestions; your brother we presume is a keen photographer, so likes taking photo's and looking at photo's.... as such he probably has as much camera gear as he can make use of, more at best probably wont help him that much, at worse will get a sweet smile and a thank-you and sit on a shelf for the next twenty years.... SO, what could he REALLY use?

Suggestion he's main carer for a cancer patient resonates, and that alone begs suggestion that probably far more than he needs another bit of camera paraphernalia he could use a BREAK!

Now, take that where you will, but think day out; maybe even with sick mother, BUT some other relatives to help out on that score, gve them BOTH some 'quality time'; take them somewhere you ca all enjoy, and there are things to take photo's of.... don't give him more kit to take photo's of this rather depressing period of his life, MAKE some happy memories, for him, and you all.... ad some picture opportunities for him to look at when times are tough and he thinks he's dealing with it all on his own.....

Think outside the box, get creative.. talk to the rest of the family, see what you ca come up with as far as combined budget and ides.. need not be an all expenses paid cruise of the med, could be as humble as some-one baby-sitting mm for a day, so he can go to an exhibition or something, and come home to a take-away and not have to cook! Think time, not money, THAT is the most precious gift you can give.... and if you are just a little canny, you can probably mix things up, a day out, a meal out, a little brief lift of burden and some opottunities to take photo's as well as touch base with freinds and family, and be reminded he's NOT all on his own, and does feel supported.....

An emotional tripod is far more valuable than one to stick a camera or lights on.....

You wanted suggestions... well, that's mine... but take the notion where you will or can... and DON'T rail-road your thinking fixating on 'cameras' and photo-equipment.. think picture, think experience think TIME.

Remember it's the thought that counts, but observing that some-one is keen on photography and so buyng them a mult-pack of film (or something else camera related) isn't actually offering much thought.. just bottomig that one thought.... think outside the box.... get creative ad think 'pictures' not 'cameras', think time not money.

Best I can offer really, but get off the railroad even so many photographers get stuck on obsessing over equipment, and forgetting the pictures, less even the big picture...

Remember you can enjoy a beutful scene without having a camera to take a photo of it...but the best camera in the world is pretty much redundant if you don't have anything worth pointing it at to take photo of.

Teflon-Mike

That is the best reply I think I've ever read, and having lost my mother last year with cancer then I'd heartily recommend your suggestion about quality time instead of camera gear.

Back