Help - ID this Fritillary?

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Can not decide what this Fritillary is - I have settled on the Dark Green Fritillary, but there were a few Silver-Washed ones around today. Just don't think this has the right wing markings of the latter. Would appreciate your views.

3755325593_1b067d3865_o.jpg

Have cloned out that funny white bit!!

Last edited:
Don't know what it is but nice capture, the only little thing about it is there is a light spot in the shaded bit which draws my eye off the butterfly

Hi Sara

I think it looks like this one...

...which I'm pretty sure is a Silver-washed Fritillary, although not 100% certain. Did you get to see the underside of the wings, that might give you a clue?

Nice shot by the way, better than any I've got (y)

Matt

Hi Sara

...which I'm pretty sure is a Silver-washed Fritillary, although not 100% certain. Did you get to see the underside of the wings, that might give you a clue?

Matt

Another vote for the Silver-washed Fritillary(y)

Can not decide what this Fritillary is - I have settled on the Dark Green Fritillary

Looks like an orange one with splotches to me... :D

Hi Sara

Matt

That looks like a dark green to me. If it was silver-washed, you'd see the silver patches underneath, n'est-ce pas?

That looks like a dark green to me. If it was silver-washed, you'd see the silver patches underneath, n'est-ce pas?

Hi Jerry, the reason I concluded Silver-washed rather than Dark Green is that from my identification book

a) On the left wing edges there are tan "C" shaped markings where the Dark Green look a bit more like "D"
b) The hind underwing, although not all that clear in the photo as it's in shadow and at a bad angle, has less distinct markings than a Dark Green (the lighting may also explain why the silver isn't showing?)

However both Dark Green and Silver-washed were apparently seen that day, and this was the first time I'd ever seen a Fritillary of any sort in the flesh, so :shrug:

Maybe someone else can confirm the ID?

One of these two I think, but I could be wrong.

Dark green fritillary - Argynnis aglaja
Family: Nymphalidae.

Flight Time: June-August.

Size: 48-58mm

Altitude: 0-2200m

Family: Nymphalidae.

http://www.butterfly-guide.co.uk/species/fritillaries/ukl5.htm

The High brown fritillary is fast declining in the UK and is now quite rare. It is easily separated form the more common Dark green fritillary Argynnis aglaja see notes on that page.

http://www.butterfly-guide.co.uk/species/fritillaries/ukl6.htm

I erred away from the Silver-washed as the majority of pics I have seen there are distintive lines on the wings. The dark green seemed to fit this one better. Must remember to look underneath their wings next time they fly off!!

Hi Swag72,

Nicely captured...i'm sure its a Female Silver-Washed Fritillary.

-------------
Graham

I erred away from the Silver-washed as the majority of pics I have seen there are distintive lines on the wings. The dark green seemed to fit this one better. Must remember to look underneath their wings next time they fly off!!

Hi Swag72,

Thats because you've been looking at a Male Silver-Washed Fritillary
-Probably.

----------------
Graham

Back