Help identifying 120 film from backing paper please

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a 120 film found in a camera which I have no provenance for. I want to develop it but have no real idea what sort of film it is, so can't decide what to develop it with or for how long... I've spooled it and put it in a tank so I can see the paper, but its not shedding much light on what the film is. Any help much appreciated, thank you.

Its 120 film
Red paper backing
It says Anfang and Start on the beginning
It says Unexposed and Panchromatic on the sealing paper
It says Exponiert and Exposed on the far end
Each number is proceeded by three or 4 rows of square dots
It also has 4 x 4/II 5 on the far end and 220 in a box stamped on the near end

Any ideas? Thanks.

Everything apart from the colour of the paper says Fomapan.

Maybe their 120 is black and 220 red.

Thanks all so far. Its similar to the Orwo but not the same. No makers name on it. Of course the paper printing standard may have changed during the life of the film, but I can't definitely say we've identified it yet.

sounds like stand developing in Rodinal might be a good solution

or 1:100 solution of just about any other b&w negative film developer for about an hour

The negs are unlikely to be outstanding quality but if the film has been exposed correctly, then it's most likely you will get images

I'm expecting a foggy mess no matter what I do - but you never know. It looks like it was exposed some time ago, I'm not even sure it was not a test film for practicing loading and therefore totally exposed - it wasn't sealed, but it was tight on the spool, so I reckon there is nothing on it, but for the 20 mins it will take to develop it, I thought it might yield something.

I've developed a couple of rolls from cameras bought off eBay, one colour and one black and white, they were both from the 1970s and they we're both fine. I stand devved the b and w one.

By 'stand devved' do you mean the 1:100 and leave for an hour? Its not a term I'm familiar, with, sorry. I only have Ilfosol (I usually use Ilford film) - if so, will that work do you know? I am not keen to buy another developer for what might turn out to be nothing. Orwo doesn't seem to have a time for Ilfosol and that seems the closest match so far.

Yep, that's the one, 30 mins or an hour i think. I don't think that the developer matters if you stand device.

Great, thanks. Asha and Andysnap, I might well do that. I'll give it a bit more time in case anyone can positively identify it, but otherwise that looks like a good way to go.

^^^WHS^^^

Thank you. I hadn't heard of stand developing until this thread. I've read up on it and everyone seems to recommend Rodinol and a couple of others, but no mention of Ilfosol. Does anyone know if Ilfosol works or if it doesn't really matter? If you can use Caffeinol then surely you can use Ilfosol? Cheers.

I've used ilfotec LC29, Rodinal and HC110 …..all of worked fine so I see no reason why ilfosol at a 1:100 solution ( as is the typical mix for stand deving) won't be ok.

Agitate for 30 seconds at the onset then 3 or 4 inversions of the tank at 30 mins.

After an hour, stop the development with stop or water ( i use the latter usually) , fix and was .

Job done!

Woo! It has images. Nothing spectacular, family stuff, so not really my place to share here.

I washed the film before stand developing it and the water came out blue. Then at 1:100 with Ilfosol 3 for 1 hour with agitation half way through. The negs are fairly fogged in places, which I assume is age and look light (so underexposed images or age or developing issues). But images all the same which I will scan when dry to see what they come out like.

Thanks all for your help. I'm suprised and happy that I got something at all. Can't estimate age of images yet, but I doubt they are particularly old. Haven't seen them in detail yet as film is still drying.

Are there visible edge markings?

Back