Help! Macbook Pro SSD Upgrade

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
I'm just about to install my new SSD to replace the HDD. There isn't anything on my macbook that I'm bothered about keeping so I don't mind starting from fresh.

My question is, if I replace the HDD with the SSD what happens with the OS when I first boot up? Is it just there or do I need to do something like a backup before installing the SSD?

Does the above make sense? In essence what I want is to just swap the drives, press the on button and away I go........I have a feeling it's not that simple though. Any help for this Mac noob is much appreciated :)

Edit - everything will be going on the new SSD (OS & Data)

Last edited:
Is your osx version download able from the app store? If so you could make a usb installer

Yeah I just downloaded it from the app store yesterday (Sierra). How would I go about putting it on an USB Neil?

Edit: when I say 'downloaded' I mean upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra via the app store.

Last edited:
The installer should be in your Applications folder. You can redownload though if you have deleted it - can't remember precisely but it's something like holding down the Option key but Google will tell you.

Did the mac the come with any install media when you bought it? Might be worth starting with that and then upgrading if the above does not work.

Or just buy a cheap caddy and clone the HD.

Did the mac the come with any install media when you bought it? Might be worth starting with that and then upgrading if the above does not work.

Or just buy a cheap caddy and clone the HD.

In the end that's what I had to do after I couldn't manage to boot from USB - ended up sticking the SSD in and doing and internet install of Lion and upgrading to Sierra from there. Rather long winded but seems to have worked.

In the end that's what I had to do after I couldn't manage to boot from USB - ended up sticking the SSD in and doing and internet install of Lion and upgrading to Sierra from there. Rather long winded but seems to have worked.
Cool, glad it worked. Hopefully you should see the speed increase of the ssd.

The installer should be in your Applications folder. You can redownload though if you have deleted it - can't remember precisely but it's something like holding down the Option key but Google will tell you.

If you leave the downloaded installer in /Applications, it deletes itself during the installation process. You can move it before running the install process.
To redownload, just go to Purchased in the Mac App Store (you may need to login with your Apple ID) and it should show on the list of purchased items.

When you install from the Internet, you usually get the version the machine was shipped with. If you can get to a Genius Bar, they can install the latest OS directly and much quicker too :)

If you leave the downloaded installer in /Applications, it deletes itself during the installation process. You can move it before running the install process.
To redownload, just go to Purchased in the Mac App Store (you may need to login with your Apple ID) and it should show on the list of purchased items.

When you install from the Internet, you usually get the version the machine was shipped with. If you can get to a Genius Bar, they can install the latest OS directly and much quicker too :)

Cheers Andy, I think I'm sorted. Being a total Mac novice I just bashed buttons like a chimp after I installed the SSD and eventually managed to install Lion OS. From there I've downloaded Sierra from the App Store and that was busy installing as I left for work this morning.

I saved any apps and documents I wanted to an external hard drive before I started the whole thing so, apart from it taking about 8 hours longer than it should have, I seem to have got there in the end.

Mine took about a hour to download and then half a hour to install.

Enjoying the SSD?

Whizzing about with about 10 applications open as we speak - don't know why I didn't do it sooner. With 16GB RAM and the SSD it's a little pocket rocket.

Now to put it through it's paces with some LR and Final Cut Pro work :)

LR should work well. I think FCP might be CPU intensive.

I saw this thread whilst searching and have a similar query.
Happy to create another thread if it is deemed taking this off tangent, but here goes.

I want to install a SSD to my Mac AND keep the original HDD. I'm happy to forgo the DVD and replace that with the SSD, but want to boot off that and use that as the main drive, whilst having the original 500Gb HDD available to put files that I am done with.

Overall, add SSD, keep HDD and use new SSD to give my Mac a new lease of life.

Any tips / suggestions / guides that I should follow?
I had a look online and all I could see was how to REPLACE the HDD as opposed to supplement it.

I saw this thread whilst searching and have a similar query.
Happy to create another thread if it is deemed taking this off tangent, but here goes.

I want to install a SSD to my Mac AND keep the original HDD. I'm happy to forgo the DVD and replace that with the SSD, but want to boot off that and use that as the main drive, whilst having the original 500Gb HDD available to put files that I am done with.

Overall, add SSD, keep HDD and use new SSD to give my Mac a new lease of life.

Any tips / suggestions / guides that I should follow?
I had a look online and all I could see was how to REPLACE the HDD as opposed to supplement it.

Which bit are you stuck with?

There are essentially 3 bits to this:

1. Physically install the drive (there are plenty of guides on the internet - you'll probably want to buy a bit of metal to screw it to
2. Copy everything from the HDD to the SSD. You don't need to do that but it's an easy way to install everything. I'd recommend Carbon Copy Cloner - https://bombich.com/features
3. Nuke the HDD and start using it.

DVD is removed and drive installed.

It's getting the machine to boot off the SSD.
I don't necessarily want to nuke the HDD - It'll take time to get files off there, etc. I want to be able to 'refresh' the machine with a SSD. Its a SanDisk 480Gb Plus SATA III

It's getting the machine to boot off the SSD.

Turn computer in. When you hear the bong, press the option key. Machine will enter boot manager and it will show all attached drives that are bootable. Select the one you want.

You can choose the default drive in System Preferences.

This all assumes you have installed some version of OS X on the SSD.....

what type of mac is it ???

macbook pro is easy to do but don't stick the SSD into the CD drive location, put it into the HDD spot and move the HDD to the CD caddy. Takes about 15 minutes all in.

what type of mac is it ???

macbook pro is easy to do but don't stick the SSD into the CD drive location, put it into the HDD spot and move the HDD to the CD caddy. Takes about 15 minutes all in.
Why?
Curious to know why you say that....

Last edited:
Why?
Curious to know why you say that....

The simple answer is that the HDD interface is faster than the DVD one, You won't get the full speed benefit if you put the SSD in place of the DVD.

ETA - HDD interface is 6Gbps, DVD is 3 or 6Gbps but Apple does not recommend using 6Gbps devices in it.

Last edited:
So, got snow leopard on the ssd, got it to boot off that.
But now's it isn't playing ball, whenever I go to a programme (finder) I get the beach ball.
Got a WD MY BOOK. Going to copy all files on thr existing hdd onto that and then go with a clean install, and see if I can swap the ssd and hdd around as per previous advice .......

Back