Help me choose a mobile phone please!

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
It's come that time to upgrade my phone. I'm using a Samsung E800 that I won about 3 years ago, direct from Samsung (in their Cyber Relay competition), it was the mutts nutts at the time, but I've now outgrown it.

At the moment I'm on PAYG with Virgin. I only use about a fiver a month tbh.....

I just bought an LG Prada from them, but while it was really nice and well worth what I paid for it (Bargainlicious price ;)), I'm going to return it, and go for something else.

Ideally I want to be able to buy a bluetooth GPS unit, and leave it in my glovebox, and install TomTom on my phone, so that's the funcitonality I'm looking for.

So, this is what I'd like from a phone :

* The ability to install Tom Tom
* Bluetooth
* MP3 ringtones
* MP3 Texts
* Nice big(ish) screen (for the tom tom)

Errr, I think everything else will come as a standard (memory upgrade capability (MicroSD etc), decent(ish) camera.

I'll probably be buying it on PAYG so no contract deals ta (Unless theyre dirt cheap for loads of minutes, and arent a cashback deal)

I have no idea what's out there, or how much I want to pay for one (Well, as little as possible TBH... :p)

I'd love an iPhone after playing with one today in the o2 shop, but unless someone buys me one, that aint happenin....

So, someone who knows their mobiles...what's out there for me?

The iphone won't do what you want m8

you can only create custom ringtones with music bought off itunes

bluetooth will only extend to linking with car phones and headsets, so I don't think it'll link with a GPS even though the phone comes with google earth and will give a route and driving directions if you enter a start and destination.

I'm pretty sure one of the Symbian smartphones, such as a Nokia E65/N73/N80, will do all of these things, and these can be had used for less than £100 (Orange have a 'reconditioned' PAYG section). Screen size may be an issue, though - I think only the Nokia N95 has a screen comparable to a conventional satnav device, and actually has GPS built in. There are quite a few of these about second hand now, as folks wanting 'the next big thing' are moving to the iPhone in droves.

Yeah Bluetooth will connect with GPS df ;) Friend of mine uses his that way.

I think a Symbian phone is the way to go. I'll have to google for what phones run Symbian. I did read my LG prada did somewhere, but then read elsewhere that it didn't, hehe

Thanks for the link to the Orange Reconditioned site (y)

bluetooth will only extend to linking with car phones and headsets, so I don't think it'll link with a GPS

My SE w810i links to my bluetooth gps but it won't run TomTom, only a very basic gps type prog that runs on java.

Have a look at the imate range. I had one for two years and absolutely loved it! I ran tom tom navigator on it, played MP3's, it's got a camera and alll the other bells and whistles you're after too :D

Linky thingy

:)

I changed from an N73 to the iphone

the N73 is a great phone.....:)
I must get round to finding it a new owner

^^fashion victim :p

What does living without 3G and MMS feel like? I can't remember hehe

^^fashion victim :p

What does living without 3G and MMS feel like? I can't remember hehe

dunno, never used to send picture texts......no m8's you see :shrug:

iphone is currently letting me do more than the 73 did. If i need to send a picture with a message...i just email it :LOL:

I use on of the small pda phones, mine is the t-mobile vario 2 but o2 do them under the xda range.

Syncs well with windows and runs tomtom via bluetooth. Some have built in GPS. Can be had for free on a contract.

What do you think of the camera df? I've heard it's pretty poor. Lack of 3G, built in GPS and the aforementioned camera is putting me off right now, I think I will wait for a 2nd gen

Did you take one of the pricey contracts or have you got yours unlocked?

I have the HTC Touch and it's very good. It has not got GPS but I have a tomtom reciever that works fine with it running tomtom navigator.

Ross
The camera is a bog standard 2mp affair, it's not bad in decent light but as it has no flash or focus assist beam, it's bit poor in dim light.
The 3.2mp f2.8 camera on the 73 kicks is ass to be fair.

I'm paying the same on this contract as I was on my last phone, but as i never used all the call mins or texts I wasn't bothered about losing some for the unlimited net usage.

I bought the phone so I could cut the number of devices, I was using the 73, an ipaq and an ipod....now I just use the phone.

Sure each device was good at what it did, probably better than iphone on an individual level, but having 1 thing in my pocket is better for me as a person.

I still use the ipod's in the gym or when running, because they still function, i still use the ipaq for tomtom, but I never have everything together at the same time now.

Im looking at the N73...I think that might just do all I need :)

tis a very capable phone.

early ones had a habit of locking up as the symbian software was a bit on the pants side. I flashed mine onto the latest software and it's been rock steady for months.

awesome%20old-school%20%20mobile%20phone,%20ArrayComm%20via%20AboutDotCom.jpg

tbh...

Hopefully my latest upgrade should be arriving tomorrow, the new Sony K850i. Can't wait, plus we're also getting our new Dell PC delivered tomorrow - shame I have to go work really, I'd rather stay home and play :)

Hope the N73 does everything you want Marcel, if that's the phone you choose (y)

why do you need 3G for viewing the web? :thinking:

It runs safari on os x
It's very very good at web surfin

the speed in which you can text, and seeing them in conversation layout was better for me than multiple person texts.

If i want to send a message to a workgroup, i cc them from the email app.

And visual voicemail.......being able to see who's message you've missed and then decide if you need to listen to them waffle on is a great idea.

Sure the iphone may sound lacking when compared to other phones, but it's a great bit of kit...you just need to do things a different way.

I use on of the small pda phones, mine is the t-mobile vario 2 but o2 do them under the xda range.

That's what I've got. I've flashed mine with WM6 (y). A mate works for T-mobile so He's got me on the 1/2 price tariff so (y) x 2 :D

Because it's about 10 times faster.
IMO the Ifone is a step backwards, apart from the design which is the standard apple look and feel.

Had to quote as it's true , browsing using HSDPA / 3G compared to GPRS is Broadband compared to dial-up.

I'm not noticing any speed loss when browsing here compared to the 73 I had.

Sure GPRS might be a tad primitive, but edge and wifi connections are both pretty rapid.

The number of unsecured wifi connections it finds is amazing :D

Back