Beginner Help! Motion blur won't go.

Fairly sure it's a double exposure of some sort - the flags in the first shot have changed shape, as has the hand in the last one.

Not sure where AppulaStrix86 is in the world but there may be a local member who could help in person.

Surely if the fault was with the sensor then the effect would be in the same place in each image.

Fairly sure it's a double exposure of some sort - the flags in the first shot have changed shape, as has the hand in the last one.

Not sure where AppulaStrix86 is in the world but there may be a local member who could help in person.
that's what I have been thinking, but failed to untick the bracketing/double exposure option.

that's what I have been thinking, but failed to untick the bracketing/double exposure option.
Would a 'factory reset' "reset" any such overlooked (stuck) settings i.e. back to 'an out of the box' state?

NB but being a dSLR that would assume that you have actually taken 2 frames and what with the mirror action of the dSLR it would be obvious (as it would on your old 350D) that 2 frames have been fired?

Would a 'factory reset' "reset" any such overlooked (stuck) settings i.e. back to 'an out of the box' state?

NB but being a dSLR that would assume that you have actually taken 2 frames and what with the mirror action of the dSLR it would be obvious (as it would on your old 350D) that 2 frames have been fired?
I did a factory reset yesterday, but have not tested whether that worked or not.
As far as I know, I am taking single frames, JPEG format, medium quality.

It certainly looks like a double exposure to me.

Your reset should have sorted it, but if you go into the Photo Shooting Menu and scroll to the bottom where it says Multiple Exposure. Make sure this is set to 'Off'.

Bracketing will result in several (3+) shots in rapid succession at slightly different exposure values.

The only thing that puts me off it being double exposures is that I'd expect to see the whole scene "ghosting" rather than it being just the harder edges.

Here's a double exposure that's slightly offset.

DSCF6683.JPG

Much sludgier than the first example in the thread.

Hi all,
as suggested, I did reset the camera and made sure the Multiple Exposure was "off".
It looks like the ghost image is now gone, but should the same anomaly repeat in time,
I will definitely ask the dealer for assistance (and hope this won't cost me a fortune with repairs).

I can't think of anything else that has not already been explored on this thread TBH.

Thank you very much everyone!

:ty:

Hi all,
as suggested, I did reset the camera and made sure the Multiple Exposure was "off".
It looks like the ghost image is now gone, but should the same anomaly repeat in time,
I will definitely ask the dealer for assistance (and hope this won't cost me a fortune with repairs).

I can't think of anything else that has not already been explored on this thread TBH.

Good to hear, good luck (y)

Fingers crossed for you, AS.

The top picture has more distance between the image and its ghost on the middle of the picture than the top. That seems to indicate it isn't anything to do with movement/shock.

There was a suggestion on another forum that something similar was due to the shutter having a fault. It might explain why it looks like the first image has a ghost image on the top of the picture only. Try it on liveview. If the ghost image is still there, it won't be the shutter.

There was a suggestion on another forum that something similar was due to the shutter having a fault. It might explain why it looks like the first image has a ghost image on the top of the picture only. Try it on liveview. If the ghost image is still there, it won't be the shutter.
Hi Erty,

do you mean visually check the LiveView or take a photo with the LiveView option on?

If you can take a photo with liveview on but the system doesn't start from a closed shutter then that would work. I think that most DSLRs can't do this- no electronic only shutter so it stops liveview to take the picture. The D850 can do it on silent shutter.

Otherwise it would be looking at the liveview video and seeing if you see the double image. If you do see it then it probably isn't the shutter as this should be out of the way. If you record video your camera can take stills from the video if you need to post them on here.

I roughly know how the shutters work but there are people on here who should be able to help more than me (or just tell me I am wrong).

Last edited:

I'm certain this is the problem.
Someone has a keen eye to spot the flags changing shape.
I'm guessing reason it's hard to see the effect at the bottom of the frame is due to the second (or first image) being over/under exposed and blending with the shadow area.

Well spotted Nod.

I don't know how relevent this is but worth checking out anyway. On my Nikon D810 I noticed on the mirror there were 2 slight marks along the bottom edge where the mirror hit the top of the chamber. Easily cleaned up with a sensor cleaning fluid and a couple of round swabs. May not be the cause of your problem but thought it worth a mention

I don't know how relevent this is but worth checking out anyway. On my Nikon D810 I noticed on the mirror there were 2 slight marks along the bottom edge where the mirror hit the top of the chamber. Easily cleaned up with a sensor cleaning fluid and a couple of round swabs. May not be the cause of your problem but thought it worth a mention
Thank you ! I will have a look into that.

Doesn't a D850 have a HDR mode which combines 2 pictures. It is really easy to make a double image using this at 1/400s (at 17mm!) on my D7200. I just tried it.

Doesn't a D850 have a HDR mode which combines 2 pictures. It is really easy to make a double image using this at 1/400s (at 17mm!) on my D7200. I just tried it.
Yes you can choose to combine 2 pics or more.

Hi all,

There's so many options and settings I can imagine it would be easy for something to have been left on by the previous owner. Fingers crossed it's all sorted now!

Back