Beginner Help! Motion blur won't go.

Name
C
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone!

I have always worked with a Canon EOS 350D and a 18-50mm lens.
but have recently bought a second hand camera body Nikon D850 with a 50mm lens (AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1 : 1.4G).

I have been struggling to avoid the following motion blur, “doubled up” subject effect, but it doesn’t seem to go away no matter the aperture, ISO sensitivity and the shutter speed …

Photo info:

F1/4, 1/400 sec, ISO 64

_D855069.JPG

1/400 seems waaaaay fast enough to avoid motion blur so I think I'd be looking to see if there's another problem at play plus I've never seen that doubled up effect before except with shutter shock (this is vibrations in the camera caused by the moving parts) and even then not to anywhere near that extent.

Do you have access to another lens you can try to see if it all goes away?

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I have always worked with a Canon EOS 350D and a 18-50mm lens.
but have recently bought a second hand camera body Nikon D850 with a 50mm lens (AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1 : 1.4G).

I have been struggling to avoid the following motion blur, “doubled up” subject effect, but it doesn’t seem to go away no matter the aperture, ISO sensitivity and the shutter speed …

Photo info:

F1/4, 1/400 sec, ISO 64

View attachment 393805
To hazard a guess I would say "Multiple Exposure". Did you reset the camera?

1/400 seems waaaaay fast enough to avoid motion blur so I think I'd be looking to see if there's another problem at play plus I've never seen that doubled up effect before except with shutter shock (this is vibrations in the camera caused by the moving parts) and even then not to anywhere near that extent.

Do you have access to another lens you can try to see if it all goes away?
no, not at the moment.

It's a "hit and miss" issue. I do manage to get some good shots without this effect, but not sure what's the reason behind it.

It's a "hit and miss" issue. I do manage to get some good shots without this effect, but not sure what's the reason behind it.
Hope you find the answer, sorry I can't help.

Welcome to TP BTW :)

I wonder if shutter is faulty, it's really quite unusual I am struggling to imagine how a lens problem could cause it.

I suggest...,..

Put it on a tripod (or stable level surface), using the delayed shutter and take a few frames.

If you can still see the effect IMO that would point to either a camera and/or lens origin for the effect.

I surmise that the D850 might have a mirror lockup control, if so also do the above to take shutter shock out of the equation

Are you sure you didn't pull the photo?

It's not due to motion of any sort... it's a ghost image, but it's not inverted/displaced (sensor reflection). My first guess would have been a s*** UV filter... but the OP says no.
A good point.

@AppulaStrix I note the low point of view and subject matter...

Was this taken on a boat and if so through the cabin window (could be a double glazed window?)

Could be worth trying a full reset just in case there's a weird setting stuck or a glitch.

Then as already said, try a different lens to rule that out.

"Push and hold the Qual and ➕/➖ buttons for more than 2 seconds. The display on top of the camera will go blank for a brief moment during the reset."

1687905462062.png

It's not due to motion of any sort... it's a ghost image, but it's not inverted/displaced (sensor reflection). My first guess would have been a s*** UV filter... but the OP says no.
Steven
Do you know if the internal filters cause such internal reflections? It was mentioned that this a used body.......................internal filters might not be obvious to the untutored eye, I wondered if present they can cause such an issue???

Steven
Do you know if the internal filters cause such internal reflections? It was mentioned that this a used body.......................internal filters might not be obvious to the untutored eye, I wondered if present they can cause such an issue???
It's possible, the D850 does have a UV/IR filter. I rather think it would have to be something delaminated creating a glass/air interface where there shouldn't be one (since there's no screw on filter installed). I have heard of someone pulling the sensor filter loose with one of these sticky rubber cleaning tools; and I have heard of lens doublets debonding... but those are both quite rare IMO.

Last edited:
If it's hit and miss, I wonder if the focus elements have taken a hit and depending on where they are in the lens, the results would change?
Change yes, but not create a ghost image.

It just occurred to me that the ghost image seems to be sharper than the primary image (specular reflections on light globes are smaller)... I think that would give more credence to the delaminated sensor stack idea.

Last edited:
Change yes, but not create a ghost image.

It just occurred to me that the ghost image seems to be sharper than the primary image (specular reflections on light globes are smaller)... I think that would give more credence to the delaminated sensor stack idea.
I was just thinking if the AF 'track/Cam' had a dent or even wear in it, it could tip the element in the AF elements.. just throwing ideas out :LOL:

I was thinking if LV was used and AF was scrolled through whilst watching LV, the double effect may reduce or show up at certain points were as if it's sensor it'll always show?

I'm bad with words and worse typing them .... who let me join here ?? :LOL:

@AppulaStrix You said recently bought, is it from a dealer? within return period?

I know it'll be a pain lossing a camera, but they may repair it .
Yes from a dealer but not within the return period I am afraid. I reset it yesterday as @gman advised, I noticed that the shutter speed noise was much quicker at high shutter speeds, which was not the case before, no matter what shutter speed I set up.
I will try and take photos again after work, and check if the issue is still there.
I will let you guys know but thank you everyone in the meantime!

Yes from a dealer but not within the return period I am afraid. I reset it yesterday as @gman advised, I noticed that the shutter speed noise was much quicker at high shutter speeds, which was not the case before, no matter what shutter speed I set up.
I will try and take photos again after work, and check if the issue is still there.
I will let you guys know but thank you everyone in the meantime!
The only way to empirically 'prove' if the lens is the cause/contributing factor is to try with another lens!

Perhaps go back to the same shop (just how long ago did you buy it?) and have a chat re: trying a different lens?

Try your local camera shop. Either ask them to check it out, or just ask them for a used lens and "test" it in the shop. Most places will let you try a used lens.
Also have you got a portrait type shot you can post, so we can see if the movement is consistant.

Last edited:
If the lens is faulty then surely you would see the effect in the viewfinder.

If the lens is faulty then surely you would see the effect in the viewfinder.
A good point on the surmise, it can be discerned, in the relatively small overall view of the OVF. With the right test situation/subject then I would have thought worth trying to 'see' if it visible in the OVF compared to the LV view :thinking:

Try your local camera shop. Either ask them to check it out, or just ask them for a used lens and "test" it in the shop. Most places will let you try a used lens.
Also have you got a portrait type shot you can post, so we can see if the movement is consistant.

image info:

aperture f14
ISO 4000
1/200 shutter speed.

anomaly still visible at the middle bottom :(

boo2.jpg

Back