Help needed! Dramatic scenery in the Peak District

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm planning on getting out and shooting as much around Sheffield as possible in the next few months and I'm keen to find all the most dramatic scenery in the Peak District (or places within a couple of hours driving distance of Sheffield) to work with.

So far I've got Winnats Pass, Park House Hill, Padley Gorge, Mam tor/broken road and Hardraw Force on the radar, I've already pretty much exhausted the rocks around Stanage Edge/Burbage.

If anyone knows of any particularly dramatic places around, however specific, that might be good for outdoors/adventure photography type shots (think bikers and runners) please share!

Thanks!
Sam

Last edited:
Been a while since I lived in the Hope Valley, so my memory might be playing tricks and my knowledge may be out of date..
  • Black Rabbit - an old quarry going up from Pindale Rd after the cement works near Hope. Named after the abandoned pub at the bottom.
  • Edale - Jacob's Ladder, Ringing Roger, the Penine Way, the Woolpacks
  • Snake Pass/Bleaklow/Doctor's Gate
  • Derwent Valley reservoirs - everyone knows Ladybower, but further up the valley Derwent and Howden are more interesting.
  • Woodhead/Torside reservoirs

As you have a good knowledge of the area have a look at the OS overlay that is available on Bing Maps. It gives all the OS detail without having to go to the shops and search through paper maps - it will probably jog your memory some more.

A couple of place could be good -

The Edge (northern edge of Kinder Scout, due north of the Downfall), and east along it to Fairbrook Naze, and
Torside Clough south of the reservoir.

Dave

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll get googling!

Re: Hardraw, I should have said within driving distance of Sheffield really, I'll edit the post :)

*edit, just googled, for some reason I thought it was a lot closer than it is. That's still on the list, but the Peak District is still the priority really!

Last edited:
The Kinder range is probably the most rugged. The downfall especially and if it does drop cold then it will definately be worth a visit as it is exquisite when frozen. The Roaches also have some rugged bits too.

Hardraw Force is nice enough but it's all over in about 10 minutes. And you have to pay.

The Kinder range is probably the most rugged. The downfall especially and if it does drop cold then it will definately be worth a visit as it is exquisite when frozen. The Roaches also have some rugged bits too.

Hardraw Force is nice enough but it's all over in about 10 minutes. And you have to pay.

Cheers David. Can't wait for it to get really cold, I've got some interesting things planned involving Winnats and a crazy skier haha

hmm long drive and then paying... perhaps not!

It was worth it and i bet the water flowing down there now is incredible. It's the highest single drop fall in England and was also used for a scene in a Robin Hood movie.

Your plan sounds crazy!

Back