Help needed...

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hello, it's been a while since i've posted here.
I've recently acquired a Canon FD70-210mm lens and rather than sell it, i've decided to buy a 35mm film camera and use it.
Can anyone recommend a good camera body to use with this lens, please? I've always wanted to have a proper bash at film photography (did it years ago while at school but never with an SLR), and now i have a chance to do it.
Thank you.
Dave

I'd have thought an AE-1.
Nice and cheap and pretty reliable. Good solid body.

Thanks, Kendo. I've looked at the AE-1 on ebay. Not too bad a price too. I don't want to pay too much as i may not use it as much as i want too (I have a 7D and 70-200mm that i use for sports) and was looking at the T50 too.

The Canon FTbn is a much older vintage than the AE-1, but a solid camera if you can find a decent one. They are pretty cheap, but very well made. I bought one to use with a couple of FD lenses I acquired.

Hopefully Brian (and others!) will be along soon as he's more knowledgeable about Canon.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Can't seem to find a cheap FTB without needing new seals though.

Thanks guys. Can't seem to find a cheap FTB without needing new seals though.

New seals are a pretty easy job and may well be an issue with many cameras of the FD era. Lots of advice in this group about replacing seals.

That's true. And i've heard it's not difficult to do.

Well Dave I'd have a little think as if you want something different from a super duper do everything digi then a FTB is the one to get, if you just want to take film pictures the easy way with electronics and with optional manual then the cheapest camera would be the T70 (don't bother with the T50)...everything IMO is superior to the AE-1 and AE-1P. but you might think it's too ugly.
The only possible problem with the T70, as it's old, is the display as some bleed (many don't) so watch out for that also check the battery cover (takes two AA batteries) as they can be a weak spot, seals are not a problem as it's only got about two small strips....so if you are patient they can go for silly prices under a tenner for a body.
good luck and just a thought:- the fd 70-210 is good for results but not the ultimate best zoom so don't be tied down to a Canon camera because of an ordinary zoom......but then if it's a view for any alternative camera and you'd be flooded out with replies and end up confused :eek:

Last edited:
A-1 (aperture priority, shutter priority, program)
AE-1 (shutter priority)
AE-1 Program (shutter priority, program)
AV-1 (aperture priority)

There are plenty examples of these models that are regularly for sale... just beware of the Canon "cough", which can affect several of these models. Shame about the timing - I'm planning on selling either an AE-1 or AV-1, but I wanted to run a roll through each first, so that'll not be for another few weeks. I've also owned an AE-1 Program in the past, which I sold to another TP member - another great camera.

Also I think all of that generation are far better looking than any of the T50/T70/T90 era!

Last edited:

Doesn't worry me if I thought it was ugly as I've got an ugly face to go with it :D the T70 is a very good practical camera and the only fault it has is for night shots on auto as it only goes to about 2 secs...:eek: the OM2 wins outright for that.
The other great feature (like the T90) on semi auto is:- if you forget to change the shutter speed because of say it's getting dark and you previously used it at midday, to get correct exposure the camera would auto shift down to a slower shuutter speed to correct.

Last edited:
Sorry, Brian, I couldn't resist.
I know how much you love it :)

Thank you very much guys, the advice is much appreciated. Plenty to consider there. Cheers. :)

Sorry, Brian, I couldn't resist.
I know how much you love it :)

I thought it was amusing when I reminded Asha that he had used my T70 for a couple of shots at a meet :D oh the shame :eek:
Oh wait! own up who also was lucky to use it as Asha is in the shot, mind you he got the focus out for me a bit.

Oh bloody hell, I've just had me breakfast.... a warning would have been nice. :D

Not sure if it was me.... can't imagine I would actually touch the thing never mind take a shot....:wideyed:

I've just had the offer of a Canon Rebel (no idea what model, but the lad says it was one of the last Canon film cameras, so i'm guessing the Rebel 2000?) but that is an EOS camera and from what i've read, the FD lens won't fit. You guys know ur stuff, any idea?

I've just had the offer of a Canon Rebel (no idea what model, but the lad says it was one of the last Canon film cameras, so i'm guessing the Rebel 2000?) but that is an EOS camera and from what i've read, the FD lens won't fit. You guys know ur stuff, any idea?

Fd lenses wont work on a AF camera as it's a different mount, and worse newer AF lenses on an older AF camera won'r work either.

I didn't think so, but you guys know your stuff better than me, so had to ask. Thank you :)

Aah... the beauty of Nikon.

I'll stick with Contax though

Aah... the beauty of Nikon.

I'll stick with Contax though

Well at least a Contax will take M42 lenses and a Nikon is useless unless just used for closeups.....same boo hoo for Olympus.

While i have your attention, It's likely i will go for the Canon AE-1, AV-1 or the T70, so can you recommend any particular film? I'm planning on shooting in both colour and b&w. It doesn't have to be expensive stuff as a) I'm only learning with film photography at the moment (way more expensive than the huge Memory cards i have at the moment), and b) it's really only for a project. If all goes well and i enjoy it as much as i'm hoping too, then i'll start to explore the more professional film and lenses. But that's a fair way off yet.
Thank again :)

The usual recommendation for cheap film is Agfa Vista 200 from Poundland, it's C41 colour, rebadged Fujifilm C200, usually comes in 24-shot rolls, and not too bad at all. If you're not doing your own processing and want black and white, I'd suggest Ilford XP2, can be got from most Boots on a buy-one-get-one-half-price deal, which takes it to around £5 per roll for 36 shot. It's 400 ISO "chromogenic" black and white, processed as C41 colour. There's a thread listed in the Resources sticky that gives suggestions on processing, but some ASDAs do it, cheapest on offer at £3 per roll for process and CD (ie scan). Snappy Snaps and Max Spielmann in many city centres do it; £5 last time I looked. Most Boots would send away now. Otherwise it's postal.

Poundland sell AGFA Vista, aka Fujicolor 200, for a pound per 24 exposure roll. Not all of their stores sell it, though, and they recently discontinued it and then restocked, so getting it is a bit hit-and-miss.

Boots sell consumer Kodak film and Ilford B&W, and they have a permanent buy-one-get-one-half-price offer that makes the prices competitive, if not cheap.

If you're not that bothered about getting the cheapest, then I like Tri-X and Portra.

Great advice, I just ordered some Agfa Vista for colour and the Tri-X for b&w. thank you.
Always good, swift, friendly advice here.
Cheers.

Have a look on eBay for to fomapan 100, 27.70 for 10 rolls. A very nice black and white film.

While i have your attention, It's likely i will go for the Canon AE-1, AV-1 or the T70, so can you recommend any particular film? I'm planning on shooting in both colour and b&w. It doesn't have to be expensive stuff as a) I'm only learning with film photography at the moment (way more expensive than the huge Memory cards i have at the moment), and b) it's really only for a project. If all goes well and i enjoy it as much as i'm hoping too, then i'll start to explore the more professional film and lenses. But that's a fair way off yet.
Thank again :)

A thought:- The AV-1 is a nice simple camera, but if you get to like using film you'll only want to buy a better camera.that can do more.

A thought:- The AV-1 is a nice simple camera, but if you get to like using film you'll only want to buy a better camera.that can do more.

That's a subjective statement. There are many people who buy a Pentax K1000 (one of the most simple, basic film SLRs), love film, and do not feel the need to change camera, buy a "better camera", or one that can "do more". If your goal is to load some film, and use the camera as a light tight box, with a good enough meter, the vast majority of film SLRs will do that successfully for you without any problems. The same could be said of the Nikon EM, Nikon FM etc.

That's a subjective statement. There are many people who buy a Pentax K1000 (one of the most simple, basic film SLRs), love film, and do not feel the need to change camera, buy a "better camera", or one that can "do more". If your goal is to load some film, and use the camera as a light tight box, with a good enough meter, the vast majority of film SLRs will do that successfully for you without any problems. The same could be said of the Nikon EM, Nikon FM etc.

Sure you can get by using the Nikon EM and AV-1 (I have both) but when better cameras are around for say £20 more (or even just a few ££s) then why have them :rolleyes:

Last edited:
From the canon FD line, I have an AT-1, a T50 and a T90 and love the simplicity and lightness of the AT-1. (I got the T50 as a rear cap when I bought a lens) The AT-1 is a manual version of the A series with a needle match metering system, I learnt proper photography using this camera 25 years ago and still use it today. The light seals will need replacing in any pre 80's camera by now as the foams deteriorate. You can buy kits for doing specific cameras and there are good instructions available. I've had to do both my mamiya 645's and the AT-1. (all from the 70's) Not needed to repair anything newer yet.

From the canon FD line, I have an AT-1, a T50 and a T90 and love the simplicity and lightness of the AT-1. (I got the T50 as a rear cap when I bought a lens) The AT-1 is a manual version of the A series with a needle match metering system, I learnt proper photography using this camera 25 years ago and still use it today. The light seals will need replacing in any pre 80's camera by now as the foams deteriorate. You can buy kits for doing specific cameras and there are good instructions available. I've had to do both my mamiya 645's and the AT-1. (all from the 70's) Not needed to repair anything newer yet.

...but still, people in the past bought OM10, EM, AV-1 and so on because they couldn't (or didn't) want to spend money on a better camera, but all these once expensive cameras are going for "peanuts" now so it's a no brainer. And think it's amusing comparing a T70 (for a tenner) with a AV-1 (and equivalent for Nikon and other makes) and my Av-1 and Nikon EM are in a cupboard not used for a good reason (well for me).
The only camera I use in the Canon "A" range is the A1 (couldn't resist buying it at the bootie as it had the 50mm F1.4 lens) but even that is out classed by the T90, so don't use the A1 much.

Last edited:
Have a look on eBay for to fomapan 100, 27.70 for 10 rolls. A very nice black and white film.

Thanks Andy. I've put them in my ebay basket. Cheers
As for the "better camera" debate. I will use what ever i can get my hands on. I used to use a Canon 40D for my motorcycle racing photography, but when it developed a fault, i had to revert back to my older 400D. It taught me to not just simply fire off a rapid rate of shots just get that one image and to set up the shot a lot better. I basically put more thought into my whole photography because of it. I recently sold most of my cameras and gear due to a lack of motivation, but found that THAT was motivation enough to want to get back out there taking photos, and to be honest i would have used ANYTHING just to be able to do that. Last time i shot in film was about 30 years ago on compact cameras.
I'm hoping this leap into the world of film photography will improve me further.

H'mm 30 years, what's the hurry now :D just get the camera that you want and not anything...although with the low prices now if you make a mistake you don't lose much.

H'mm 30 years, what's the hurry now :D just get the camera that you want and not anything...although with the low prices now if you make a mistake you don't lose much.

Yeah, you're right and with that in mind i've done a lot of reading up on reviews on the Canons over the last few days, and decided to go with the AE-1. And, like you said, if i decide to sell i won't lose too much. May even make a profit if i sell the FD 70-210 with it.
I'm really buzzing now :D

Back