Help needed...

Yeah, you're right and with that in mind i've done a lot of reading up on reviews on the Canons over the last few days, and decided to go with the AE-1. And, like you said, if i decide to sell i won't lose too much. May even make a profit if i sell the FD 70-210 with it.
I'm really buzzing now :D

Great..... don't forget to post shots and enter F&C comps.

A good choice with the AE 1, good piece of kit for the money.

............ i've done a lot of reading up on reviews on the Canons over the last few days, and decided to go with the AE-1. ..................... :D

hi
have you bought a body yet..?

i'm sorting my 'stuff' after a 3 years absence.....'somewhere' i think i have an AV-1 body, and an AT-1 body
both in mint condition

you can have either one FOC - prob need newseals but kits are readily available

Yeah i bought an AE-1, but it has a few faults that make it a bit of a pain to use (sticky shutter, timer seized and signs of fungus). I've looked on ebay for something else to replace it, so would definitely be interested in either the AV-1 or AT-1. I would happily pay and don't mind replacing the seals as i like to be hands on with some of the repairs.

Rather than start a new thread, i though i'd just ask here as it's still relevant to the conversation.
Does anyone here shoot on high ISO film, like 1600 or 2300? I shoot a lot in low light so wondered if picking up a few rolls might benefit me? I shoot with a 7D in digital, and grain and noise isn't so noticeable at high ISO, but is it that bad with film?

Rather than start a new thread, i though i'd just ask here as it's still relevant to the conversation.
Does anyone here shoot on high ISO film, like 1600 or 2300? I shoot a lot in low light so wondered if picking up a few rolls might benefit me? I shoot with a 7D in digital, and grain and noise isn't so noticeable at high ISO, but is it that bad with film?

I don't typically shoot anything over 400 asa but some films will push quite well.

A consideration, given that high speed films don't typically come cheap!

T Max for b&w.

and believe or not Agfa Vista 200 ( our favourite colour quid film) will push quite well to 1600 !

I only go up to 400, normally stick to 100 or 200ASA

Back when I started I preferred using Kodachrome 25 or 64, and then Ektachrome 64.

I only go up to 400, normally stick to 100 or 200ASA

Back when I started I preferred using Kodachrome 25 or 64, and then Ektachrome 64.

ASA 64 ...fast film!.....sounds so slow now doesn't it?!

Thanks guys. I'm actually using Agfa Vista 200 at the moment but wasn't sure how far i could push it. I like some indoor shots with window lighting, but didn't like to try it just in case. Now i will.
Cheers :)

ASA 64 ...fast film!.....sounds so slow now doesn't it?!

100 and 200 Ektachrome were available around about then- early 80's - but I preferred 25 Kodachrome.
There was just something about the colour and saturation of it...

Some Vista pushed to 1600 dveloped at home Tetenal C-41 kit

11.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

I've got some T Max at 1600 somewhere ...I'll post if I find 'em .

I recall they have much more grain visible ( not that it bothers me) although iirc they were developed in Rodinal .....something like HC-110 would have probably been a better option.

Thanks Asha. I'm going to go for it! :D

Well I've used Fuji 1600 ISO and at 1600 the results were quite good but IMO should be at 800 ISO...but on seeing Asha's results it seems Vista can be pushed and would be a lot cheaper than Fuji (I think they still make it).

I've pushed HP5 to 1600 with reasonably good results, developed in D76. I find that above 400, smaller formats (135 or smaller) do look very grainy. I've got some delta 3200 in 120 format to try at some point. Trying to find a lab in the UK to push process colour film is pretty difficult so unless you can process it yourself, your options are extremely limited as high speed colour films are few an far between. (Portra 800 costs a small fortune)

Do you develop yourself at home Dave?

No, i've only recently got a hold of a Canon AE-1, so this is all new to me. I'd like to sometime in the future.......when the kids have left home and i finally get a study/studio :D

Yeah i bought an AE-1, but it has a few faults ............. so would definitely be interested in either the AV-1 or AT-1. ...........

Dave - sorry for late reply --- OpenReach are replacing storm damaged poles and lines to the farm - no internet access for ages.!!

anyway..... found the AV-1 ...BUT...fungus corrosion on mirror, and film take-up spool is jammed solid - sorry.!!

I have a mint Canon A1 - they are superb - you could pick up a nice example on eBay for about £60
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-A-1...426495?hash=item48897eafff:g:6bEAAOSwll1Wufb-

goood luck

This is Delta 3200. Shot at 3200 and developed in D76 1+1. Quite grainy, but I didn't want to use flash.

RollSeven14 by -Captures...Moments....Forever-

I'm unable to find the scans of the TMax that I pushed to 1600 but iirc the grain is similar to ^^^this ( very good) shot^^^by Trevor..........Fair enough it's got an extra stop but I'm not up for paying almost double the price for a high speed film to get results that I can obtain from a very good cheaper, slower film.
Horses for courses and all that!

Dave - sorry for late reply --- OpenReach are replacing storm damaged poles and lines to the farm - no internet access for ages.!!

anyway..... found the AV-1 ...BUT...fungus corrosion on mirror, and film take-up spool is jammed solid - sorry.!!

I have a mint Canon A1 - they are superb - you could pick up a nice example on eBay for about £60
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-A-1...426495?hash=item48897eafff:g:6bEAAOSwll1Wufb-

goood luck

Thanks John. No worries, i have a decent Nikon EM now too, but i like the AE-1, so might stay on the lookout for an AV-1 too. Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated.

Nice shot Trevor, i don't mind the grain in film photography and it's good to know how far it can be pushed. I've looked into picking up a roll of Delta 3200 so this is great to see what it can do. Cheers. For now i'll just do what you said, Asha, and see how far i can push the Agfa 200 :D

so might stay on the lookout for an AV-1 too

I have an AV-1 in very good condition, with new light seals installed, although there are a few marks on the top of the focusing screen. I'll put up a Classifieds ad if you're interested.

. For now i'll just do what you said, Asha, and see how far i can push the Agfa 200 :D

Bear in mind that I develop at home and have control over developing times etc so you'll probably have to mention to the lab that you've pushed it ......Perhaps others can enlarge on what labs demand for pushed film ...additional costs maybe?, I dunno!

I have an AV-1 in very good condition, with new light seals installed, although there are a few marks on the top of the focusing screen. I'll put up a Classifieds ad if you're interested.

Yeah, that would be great thanks (My Wife might kill me if i buy another camera though) :D

Yeah, that would be great thanks (My Wife might kill me if i buy another camera though) :D

I'll almost certainly list it for under £20, so it's hardly an extravagant purchase!

I reckon Agfa 200 will very easily push to ISO 400 without any problems.

Just don't tell her...

I tried that, Ken. She works lates though, so is always home when the post arrives :D

I'll almost certainly list it for under £20, so it's hardly an extravagant purchase!

I reckon Agfa 200 will very easily push to ISO 400 without any problems.

Thanks, i'll keep an eye out for it, Cheers :D

@RaglanSurf Is that an edit suite at channel 4? (based on other shots from Flickr) Looks markedly similar to the ones we used to run at itv in cardiff.

@RaglanSurf Is that an edit suite at channel 4? (based on other shots from Flickr) Looks markedly similar to the ones we used to run at itv in cardiff.
Not at Channel 4 Kei, but a very old and past its best Avid suite at the Beeb.

Kind of ironic but we only just upgraded from that kind of kit in 2014. Used to run newscutter XP/media composer 3.5 on old hp xw6400's with JVC preview displays, tsl PPM's and techtronix waveform monitors in all our suites. Looked so similar to that shot that I did have to look closely to realise the mixer is not a yamaha 01v like we had.

Do the beeb still use avid or have they gone final cut/premier pro?

Thanks for the examples, Nick

Kind of ironic but we only just upgraded from that kind of kit in 2014. Used to run newscutter XP/media composer 3.5 on old hp xw6400's with JVC preview displays, tsl PPM's and techtronix waveform monitors in all our suites. Looked so similar to that shot that I did have to look closely to realise the mixer is not a yamaha 01v like we had.

Do the beeb still use avid or have they gone final cut/premier pro?
Avid is still in use in some places, they've dabbled with FCP in its various guises, not sure whether they're using Premiere anywhere yet and they're using a Quantel system for a lot of news and current affairs.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all the advice given on this thread. I've become a bit obsessive about this film photography. I started buying pretty much anything on ebay and using it, then selling it on. I bought the AE-1 and thanks to Freecom2 i have a fantastic AV-1. I also bought a Konica C35 V and a Nikon EM, both of which i took out with me on my rounds. I've recently had 2 rolls developed from those cameras and the Konica was a waste of time, everything was over exposed and out of focus. But the Nikon, despite having a broken light meter, was fantastic.
These 2 of from the Nikon. I just wanted to share these as you have all been so helpful and wanted you to see some results from my first attempts in the film SLR world.
Cheers
Dave.
The Grange- Nikon by Dave Gilbert, on Flickr

Post box-2 - Nikon by Dave Gilbert, on Flickr

Fantastic colours in both of them. 35mm is a very accessible format, and picking up gear is easy (aside from the temptation to buy into several systems!). Enjoy!

Fantastic colours in both of them. 35mm is a very accessible format, and picking up gear is easy (aside from the temptation to buy into several systems!). Enjoy!

Thank you. yeah i think that's why it's become something of an obsession with me. I can pick up cameras and lenses easily and also sell them on without being out of pocket. I've put some Tri-X into the AV-1 and have my 70-210mm on there currently. Not had much chance to shoot much though at the moment.
I also have a Holga and put some B&W Ilford HP5 400 in it to see what i can come up with.
One thing is for certain, this has really fired up my enthusiasm for photography again. My Canon 7D is feeling neglected :D

ha ha, my missus doesn't show the same kind of enthusiasm.

Back