HELP Office/Word Problem!

ppp

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a major pain in the arse problem at the moment with a computer.

The computer needed a reload as it had a couple of spyware and bits, it was time for a freshen up and wasn't a genuine windows. Other than that everything worked fine.

I have reloaded with a genuine windows xp home and installed all the latest available drivers and all windows updates. I had a list of software that was on the machine before and have reinstalled this. I installed Office 2003 and have a problem with it.

If i open Word either a blank doc or an existing file the whole machine resets and i get the bios screen, then it boots back into windows. I sometimes can get it long enough to type a couple of letters then bang it resets again.

I have tried reloading windows again and then just doing drivers, updates and office with the same problem.

I have run superpi, prime, 3dmark, games and all other software and all works fine no problems. Internet works, all the existing documents open on another machine fine, there is no spyware or viruses, even if i create a doc on another machine and open it on this one it resets.

I have tried openoffice and wordpad they open the documents and work fine, it justs seems to centre around word/office. I tried Office 07 with no luck either.

:help:

What can it be?

Have you also installed Office 2003 service pack?
I believe SP3 is the latest

No i haven't, but then pre reload it didn't have the service pack either with no fault and i have tried office 07 and get the same reset fault.

Definately a hardware problem by the sound of it..

A long shot but your PSU may be failing under load. Try a different PSU mate, It may be that..:)

Have you tried booting in safe mode and running Word?

If it works in safe mode then it could well be one of your drivers, if it still reboots then you could potentially have a memory problem

Busterboy is also correct a failing PSU could also cause the problem

It has done it in safe mode, have tested the ram that passed, psu is not very old (few weeks) and why only on word? surely a PSU/ram would show fault under load in games, prime etc...

Sorry i don't mean to shout down your ideas, i really appreciate the help. I run a computer shop so have tried wuite a few things already but this has me a bit stumped.

WOW....same thing happening to my machine today and last night....just rebooting when it feels like. Have done a bit of research and most point to a hardware problem....PSU or overheating. Let me know how you get on...

Also, I can;t remember if I read it here or another forum but some people were experiencing a similar problem after a windows update.

Anyway, would be interested to know what happens your end.

I assume you have tried installing someone elses copy of Office just to eliminate yours?
The only other thing i can think of now is to roll back some of your updates :thinking: maybe you have one that is not happy with your particular setup.
Try a clean install then install Office before you put any updates on

Have to admit i have not come accross this before and i am in charge of supporting 500 of the little blighters

Yeah tried 3 different cd's of Office 03, guess i'll have to try pre-updates and see if i can narrow it down

Ok turns out it was a dodgy gigabit network card driver, doh! all sorted now

thanks for all the help

Back