Help on a film camera please

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I have wanted to try film for a while & jumped at a Nikon FTN without looking into it at all!

I now think i wold like something more modern & i would love it if i I could use my modern lenses on if possible. I haven't looked into it properly yet but i was thinking the Nikon F80 may be ideal? If not what other cameras should i consider please?

Thanks, Mike

Box Brownie could be an excellent start......everything from there is progress! :D

Seriously though, You will likely get more response and help if posting this thread in the f&c section.

Perhaps a mod @TheBigYin would be kind enough to move it;)

Assuming you have Nikon lenses, https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility might be of help. In summary... The F80 / F100 era and the F5 and F6 series all support full functionality with all lenses including G series (without apature ring); older bodies will fully work with lenses with appature rings but with G series lenses you will be limited to P and S modes (the camera can set the appature fine).

I have wanted to try film for a while & jumped at a Nikon FTN without looking into it at all!

I now think i wold like something more modern & i would love it if i I could use my modern lenses on if possible. I haven't looked into it properly yet but i was thinking the Nikon F80 may be ideal? If not what other cameras should i consider please?

Thanks, Mike

Mike , what is the issue with the FTN, it is a fine camera? I use a range of old Nikons and do need to add a correction lens in the eyepiece (easily available on eBay) because I don't like to use my glasses when shooting.

F80 bodies are very good. I use a pair of them when climbing as they are light and very reliable. As stated, you will need full from lenses. The F80 is a cut down F100, with many of the functions. All of that said The FTN is still a great camera and worth a roll or two of film IMHO!

Box Brownie could be an excellent start......everything from there is progress! :D

Seriously though, You will likely get more response and help if posting this thread in the f&c section.

Perhaps a mod @TheBigYin would be kind enough to move it;)

I did think about posting there but thought this would be better section! But feel free to move it if its better in the film section!

Assuming you have Nikon lenses, https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility might be of help. In summary... The F80 / F100 era and the F5 and F6 series all support full functionality with all lenses including G series (without apature ring); older bodies will fully work with lenses with appature rings but with G series lenses you will be limited to P and S modes (the camera can set the appature fine).

Thats great thank you, yes i want to use it with G lenses really as i have plenty of good glass for a full frame nikon!

The F80 is fine as long as you have Nikon full frame lenses - DX ones will cause problems.

Yes I've got a full frame nikon anyway so lenses are fine (y)

Mike , what is the issue with the FTN, it is a fine camera? I use a range of old Nikons and do need to add a correction lens in the eyepiece (easily available on eBay) because I don't like to use my glasses when shooting.

F80 bodies are very good. I use a pair of them when climbing as they are light and very reliable. As stated, you will need full from lenses. The F80 is a cut down F100, with many of the functions. All of that said The FTN is still a great camera and worth a roll or two of film IMHO!

I just want to use my current lenses with the camera and as above most my lenses are nikon G lenses at the moment!! there isn't anything wrong with the FTN but ill end up selling it i think as i would just prefer something that will work fully with my current lenses! Not looking for a FTN are you? :naughty:

[QUOTE

I just want to use my current lenses with the camera and as above most my lenses are nikon G lenses at the moment!! there isn't anything wrong with the FTN but ill end up selling it i think as i would just prefer something that will work fully with my current lenses! Not looking for a FTN are you? :naughty:[/QUOTE]

Oh, I can see now, yes your G lenses win't be that good on the FTN. The F80, F100,F5 and F6 are the cameras you will need for your glass. The F80 is good but the body is quite small, the F100 is a great all rounder and can be had for a lot less than an F5 or F6.

[QUOTE

I just want to use my current lenses with the camera and as above most my lenses are nikon G lenses at the moment!! there isn't anything wrong with the FTN but ill end up selling it i think as i would just prefer something that will work fully with my current lenses! Not looking for a FTN are you? :naughty:

Oh, I can see now, yes your G lenses win't be that good on the FTN. The F80, F100,F5 and F6 are the cameras you will need for your glass. The F80 is good but the body is quite small, the F100 is a great all rounder and can be had for a lot less than an F5 or F6.[/QUOTE]

Yes sorry my bad! I didn't explain properly, and thank you for the recommendations, the F5 & F6 are definitely way too much money for me but ill stretch the extra for the F100 i think if its nicer handling & from what I've read it got better auto focus too!

Back