Beginner Help please - dust spot on sensor!

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Good evening ,

I have just returned from a walk with the dog and camera and seem to have a large piece of dust on my sensor, now, bearing in mind I have only cleaned and changed lenses in the past, can I remove it with a blower if I put the camera in mirror lock up? Its a Canon 70D if that makes ant difference.

Many thanks in advance.
Simon

rsz_img_7633a.jpg

The technical name for that is a big booga.
About 50-50 the blower will do it, think on it's at the opposite side and hold the camera pointing downwards.

Hi Simon

Sensor dust in general is a fact of life!

Yes a rocket blower should be on your kit ;)

The 70D should in common with its cousins have a "sensor cleaning mode" selected via the menu for revealing the sensor.

Please don't use mirror lockup mode, in that mode the sensor is 'active' and though limited harm is unlikely it is possible the sensor may not clean as easily. (NB I think I read at one time that the sensor carries static charge when active???)

If the blower does not clear it....... might take a couple of goes. Then wet clean might be required?

Not sure if you have done it yet but it is worthwhile blowing out the mirror box, with the lens opening facing down so that the dust falls out, before cleaning the actual sensor. Blow the mirror box out a couple of times at least. That way you get rid of any dust that is in there and that could be blown onto the sensor when you do the actual sensor clean.

Back